Screen protection

Guest geofred

Guest geofred

I have an eMap with several annoying scratches which (see earlier post) I have touched up with Armorall. I just received a delivery from Amazon.com and the plastic wrap they used was incredibly stretchy. I cut a piece out to fit the eMap screen and it clings beautifully. A cheap, recylcable alternative to the "skins" for sale.

------------------

Guest leaper64

geofred,

i am currently using a trimmed down "write right" screen protector which is really designed for protecting the screen of a pda. it has a somewhat textured surface which is supposed to mimic the feel of paper. i'm really not too happy with the screen clarity when it is installed, but i'm willing to live with it to protect my screen from annoying scratches. how is the clarity with the film you are using?

leaper64

Guest geofred

. how is the clarity with the film you are using?

leaper64[/b]

I am very happy with the clarity. And, with many Amazon.com deliveries, I may have an endless supply.

Guest leaper64

i guess it is a little hard to describe "clarity", sorry about that previous question. let me try to explain the clarity i have.....the write-right film, when installed, is slightly cloudy. i've also noticed that the textured surface seems to intensify any glare i might have.

i've never seen the amazon film, would you send me a piece of it if i sent you a self addressed stamped envelope?

Guest leaper64

i used clear packing tape to attach a "for sale" sign to the outside of a car window once. this was the kind of tape that you can purchase from the postal service, so i guess it is what you are referring to. when it became time to remove the sign, the tape residue was very stubborn. i can't talk myself into using this stuff. everyone keep their eyes open, and keep the screen protection ideas coming. together, we will stumble onto something ideal.

Guest n1niq

What about placing the GPS in a Ziplok bag? You're probably carrying a few for your stash goodies already. This will help protect the screen and the GPS body.

Guest Silver

Most scuba shops have a film that is used to cover the screens on dive computers used in scuba diving. It clings very lightly but securely, is easily removable, and waterproof. I have had my dive computer covered for over a year and down to below 100' and it hasn't come off yet.

BTW, I don't suggest taking a GPS unit down to 100'... icon_smile.gif

Silver

[This message has been edited by Silver (edited 22 April 2001).]

Guest Silver

Most scuba shops have a film that is used to cover the screens on dive computers used in scuba diving. It clings very lightly but securely, is easily removable, and waterproof. I have had my dive computer covered for over a year and down to below 100' and it hasn't come off yet.

Silver

[This message has been edited by Silver (edited 22 April 2001).]

Guest leaper64

not too many scuba shops in utah! but i do know of one in salt lake city. this sounds like it may be worth looking into. i'll let you all know what i find out. thanks for all the input.

leaper64 (frogman?)

Guest DougsBrat

quote:
Originally posted by Silver:

Leaper64,

the screen protectors in stock.

Silver

Scuba Instructor

What a great idea! I'll have to dig one out of my dive bag icon_wink.gif

DougsBrat

Scuba Instructor (PADI)

------------------

Guest DougsBrat

quote:

Leaper64,

the screen protectors in stock.

Silver

Scuba Instructor

What a great idea! I'll have to dig one out of my dive bag icon_wink.gif

DougsBrat

Scuba Instructor (PADI)

------------------

Guest cache_ninja

leaper64, hey if you find that stuff and have to buy a bunch of it at a time lemme know, i'd love some(will send you $). my 315 is scratched to hell, but i';d like to prevent it from getting worse. i tried writerights which i usefor my pda, but they made the display not too sharp...

c/n

[This message has been edited by cache_ninja (edited 23 April 2001).]

Guest BackPack Studio

Now wouldn't it be nice if Alladin made a waterproof cover for the GPS but then insteed of WAAS it would need SONAR. Palm by 3com makes a clear cover for there palmtops I use one on my ;-) inhanced IIIx, you can almost make two for the eTrex, and it is as clear as if not on the unit.

Guest Prime Suspect

Belkin makes are smooth, clear PDA screen overlay under the eGo lable. Similar to the Write product, except not textured. Also less expensive.

Guest ClayJar

For my PDA I trimmed a perfectly-fitting piece of the clingy plastic that Dell (and others) print "This is a monitor" things on and stick to the screen of their new monitors. (Since I work in a school system, I have plenty of these plastic pages.)

The trick, I am told, is to put just a tiny drop of liquid (water, oil, whatever) under the protector when you're placing it, and that will help you avoid getting those tiny bubbles in it (or help you when you're trying to work them out).

Guest MikeLINY

Although awkward... Radio Shack sells a waterproof sack for cell phones, the face is clear plastic,so you can see and opperate your phone (the rest is yellow, in case you drop it in some brush). I stoped by the local store, and my unit still got a good lock.

Guest leaper64

ok everybody,

i've finally found a screen protector which is working really well for me on my 3+. the product is designed for a touch screen pda but is easily trimmed to size. it is very clear, unlike the pda protector which has a slightly textured surface. i emailed the owner and requested a sample of his product so i could test it for a while before purchasing some. it's been in place for approx 2 months and still hangin' in there.

FaceSavers, Inc

7107 S. Yale Avenue

PMB 259

Tulsa, OK 74136

www.facesaversinc.com

they are a bit pricy at $9.95 for a pack of 5.

for you magellan users - if i'm not mistaken, the magellan gps units have a slightly curved screen and i really don't have a good feel for how it would work for you. i would request a sample prior to making a purchase.

Guest BX Tale

You guys gave me a really good idea, I have this stuff for airbrushing design that is clear and has a descent tacking to it, I forgot what the stuff is called. I can find out the next time I go to the art store. But I cut out a piece the exact same size as my E trex screen and it works great. And peals off with no glue residue. If anyone wants one for there E trex I can make them and send it to you just e mail me. Just send me a SASE and will glad to send it out. It will be free for now maybe when I have to buy more of it then I will charge what ever the cost of the roll is(about $10 for a big roll). And if you want one more any other model just trace me a pattern for you screen and will be glad to cut it out and send it to you guys. I will send you guy two ,as it took me to to lay it perfect on my screen. I will make these for my cache stuffing.

Guest leaper64

hey bx tale,

this sounds great too. maybe you could make a quick trip out to utah and put some of your trading material in a stash called "hooks loot"!

how about sending me an email offline with your address. i'll send you a sase with a buck or two in it to help on the cost. i'd love to see this stuff.

leaper64

nielson@trilobyte.net

Guest c_oflynn

leemannn, thats a great idea! Luck for me I kept the protector, It seems to stick nicely. I just trimmed it, and it seems to be fitting!

Colin

Guest raptorrider2001

I used the film you purchase at a dive shop to cover a dive computer. Cost about $4.50. It has been on by Vista a couple of months now with no problems. However, I did not do a very good job installing it. Got a small bubble right in the middle of it. Once you lay it on, it will not come off very easily to make corrections. I tried to make a template to cut it out with, but I am all thumbs and it could fit better. Next time, I will let the wife do it...

Guest vinced

As the owner of a PDA who did some personal research. I am using 4mil clear vinyl on my PDA. I haven't tried it on my GPS unit yet since I haven't had a need. I try to make a protector for it sometime this week. I only cost me $.50 for about 1/2 a yard.

Vince

[This message has been edited by vinced (edited 30 August 2001).]

[This message has been edited by vinced (edited 05 February 2002).]

Guest AngstMonger

OK, so I'm a little slow... The first post in this thread references Armorall as a "touch up" for a scratched screen. I missed the details. Can someone fill me in? I'll try to stay awake a little better.

Guest Baudzilla

A silk tie works real well for polishing out fine scratches in clear plastic bezels. I have had excellent results using this technique with my amateur radio gear and my Mag 330.

-Phil

[This message has been edited by Baudzilla (edited 08 August 2001).]

Guest AngstMonger

Thanks for the silk tie tip... I've got a rack full that I swore off of about 30 years ago.

I'd still like to hear what the deal is with Armorall, though, so if somebody would indulge me, I'd appreciate it. I've got a bucket load of that too.

Guest Baudzilla

quote:

I'd still like to hear what the deal is with Armorall, though, so if somebody would indulge me, I'd appreciate it. I've got a bucket load of that too.[/b]

I'm not sure... It's probable that it works much in the same way using carnuba wax will fill in fine scratches and haze on clear plastic. The wax is nearly clear in thin coats and will "flow" into light scratches, filling them in.

Armorall, if I recall correctly, is silicone based and fairly viscous. It has a fairly high surface tension coefficient, so it will "cling" to the inside of the scratch much the same way.

But that's just my opinion--I could be wrong... icon_wink.gif

happy caching

-phil

[This message has been edited by Baudzilla (edited 09 August 2001).]

Guest Baudzilla

quote:

I'd still like to hear what the deal is with Armorall, though, so if somebody would indulge me, I'd appreciate it. I've got a bucket load of that too.[/b]

I'm not sure... It's probable that it works much in the same way using carnuba wax will fill in fine scratches and haze on clear plastic. The wax is nearly clear in thin coats and will "flow" into light scratches, filling them in.

Armorall, if I recall correctly, is silicone based and fairly viscous. It has a fairly high surface tension coefficient, so it will "cling" to the inside of the scratch much the same way.

But that's just my opinion--I could be wrong... icon_wink.gif

happy caching

-phil

Go to a motorcycle shop & ask for "Tear Off's". They are the size of the helmet's face shield or goggles. Can be cut easily to any size.

Hope this helps.

Oh yea, if you have already used something that left a residue, try WD-40. It eats up most stuff like that.

[This message has been edited by jon (edited 09 August 2001).]

Guest prv8eye

I have had my dive computer covered for over a year and down to below 100' and it hasn't come off yet.

But wouldn't it be cool if there was a GPS that worked under water?

Guest prv8eye

I have had my dive computer covered for over a year and down to below 100' and it hasn't come off yet.

But wouldn't it be cool if there was a GPS that worked under water?

Guest BryanG

How about something simple, that everyone has...

Plastic wrap... you know the stuff in your kitchen. It should cling just fine, and if cut to the size of the screen you will not snag it to easily and pull it off...

What you think, will it Work? Cheap, plentyful, easy to replace!

Guest gnbrotz

BX Tale - Your stuff is SUPER! Had a few small bubbles at first, but pulled it up, put a drop or two of water on the screen and that did the trick. Thanks for the great solution.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

Guest BX Tale

Glad to here that. I figured that would happen that was why I sent a couple to you guys to play with till perfection. Mine with the recent heat wave made it form perfect with the screen. At one time I thought it had peeled of but upon close inspection it was as clear as glass an no residue if I peel it off. Glad to here it worked out well, the next time I go to the art store I will find out all the info and post it here.

Guest leaper64

bx tale,

sorry i'm so late getting back. i've had one of your art store protectors installed on my 3+ screen for several weeks now. it is working out great. it worked well to use a credit card to smooth out the bubbles. it is thinner than the facesaver product but it appears to be protecting my screen well. i'm pretty happy with it and it is far less expensive than the facesavers.

leaper

Guest BX Tale

Well sorry I haven't been back here in a while. But now I am here again.

I am glad it is working out good. I have the same piece on mine for over a month now and no sign of it coming loose. this stuff is great, and no type of sticky stuff is left behing if you peel it.

I will find out all the info on this stuff the next time I head downtown. But it makes no sense for each person to buy a whole roll for $12 or five sheet for $6 for a few small pieces. Maybe I can just buy another roll and give out the pieces and you guys can send me a small donation to be given to a local group that hires youths to maintain my local trail and park. (you can read more about it at 10463 "Vanny Cache") I am still in the process of trying to figure out how to go about giving them the donation from the money that I have come up with. And If some how I can get this thing started. I want it to be given in a way that it would be from all of us as a Geocaching community. Sort off a positive attention for us. Like I said this is still in the works. So if you guys are interested let me know. And If you have any ideas comment, advice or gripes let me know.

I am still offering the screen protection out for FREE, just send me a SASE and any donation if any and I will be glad to send you a few pieces. This roll is a left over from a projct I had so I really have no use for it anymore, untill I found out how good it is as a screen protector. I have tried it out on Gameboy advance, it really didn't work out so well there due to the high resolution screen on the system. But works well on my GPS. Anyway Email me for my info if you are interested. Thanx.

Ya know, it strikes me that there is a huge potential market for these films, if somebody knew how to sell the stuff. How many of you have Digicams? My Sony Mavica's lcd was scratched when a buddy borrowed it. He was good enough to pay for the repairs ($200!!!) and after that I got a piece of clear lexan and mounted it with some putty. Not real pretty, but effective. These types of films would be ideal for protecting cell phone displays, digicam displays, etc. etc...the possibilities are pretty wide open in this day and age. Something to think about.

On another note... please be careful with cleaning the display with things like WD 40, RainX and the like. As a boater, I have seen many people ruin plastic windshields and isinglass (those clear plastic curtains on boats) by using petroleum based polishes and cleaners. Test in a small corner before you fog your screen!

Guest Vagabond

For scratches, go to your local airport to the pilots supply store or whatever they call it, Meguiars polishes has 3 or 4 different grades of polishes, an 8 ounce bottle will run about 6 bucks if the scratches are deep they even have a repair kit that runs about 25 bucks. These are used on aircraft canopies so you know they have to be good if the 25 bucks is a bit high maybe you could go in with some fellow geocachers in your area

Guest BX Tale

I believe it is called "Frisket Film" Thats was what someone sugested, but again I am not 100% sure will give all the info once I head over to the art store. Maybe tomorrow after some urban caches in downtown NYC tomorrow.

Guest Randy Freed

RE: plastic wrap

Plastic Wrap works GREAT!

I use my E-Map on range fires, and the combination of plastic wrap (2-3 wraps) and the Garmin "rubber protective boot" helps make the E-Map water proof. (well, close to water proof)

Randy