Screen protection

Guest geofred

Guest Tomebug

OK, so now I know what to do about scratches, but what about cracks? My son dropped my venture on a dirt road and the glass cracked. I just heard back from Garmin and it will cost me $79 plus shipping to have it repaired!! Since I bought it off Ebay, I barely paid more than that for the whole unit, yikes. It still works with no problems, if I put one of BXtale's protectors on it, will it be ok? I have 3 hairline cracks radiating out from the impact point (must have hit a rock just right).

Guest sidewinder

The stuff that really works great if you can get it is the film that is put over the instrument cluster faces on new cars. It gives a clear undistorted image and when taken off leaves no residue. You might be able to talk your auto dealer out of some if he is a nice guy.

Guest Rubberhead

Tomebug,

Try taking your cracked Venture to a windshield repair shop. They have some process for repairing cracked windshields that is waterproof and very clear. It may work on an LCD screen. It shouldn't cost more that $10 to $15.

Guest gnbrotz

BXTale,

I'm one of those guys who got the stuff from you, loved it, but never bothered to send you anything.

Check my profile for my e-mail. If you send me a mailing address, I'll send you a couple of bucks.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

My geocaching page

Guest Geo Jab

BX TALE,

I have tried to find the Frisket film - the only type I could find was the "matte" film which applies well but has a foggy look to it. If you are still out there, I would like to purchase some of the clear stuff from you. Please drop me a line. Email should be listed on my profile.

Thank you,

GeoJab

Guest barrbell

I have a Garmin Venture and was concerned about scratching the glass. I took it to the flea market with me and found a cell phone case with a clear vinyl front that fit perfectly(I think it was for a Nokia 3100?). The vinyl is easy to see thru and the sides of the case are elastic and don't interfere with the side buttons. The only problem I found was the "click stick" was covered by the vinyl. Solution: mark and cut a small hole in the vinyl(an empty .22 cal shell works fine as a punch for the hole). Plus, now I can carry it on my belt with the built in clip!

Total cost: $6.00!

------------------

barrbell

---If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?---

quote:
Originally posted by barrbell:

I have a Garmin Venture and was concerned about scratching the glass. I took it to the flea market with me and found a cell phone case with a clear vinyl front that fit perfectly(I think it was for a Nokia 3100?). The vinyl is easy to see thru and the sides of the case are elastic and don't interfere with the side buttons. The only problem I found was the "click stick" was covered by the vinyl. Solution: mark and cut a small hole in the vinyl(an empty .22 cal shell works fine as a punch for the hole). Plus, now I can carry it on my belt with the built in clip!

Total cost: $6.00!

I've considered something similar but than asked myself, What do I do when the vinyl gets scratched which will happen very quickly as it's not a scratch resistant screen as is on the GPS? My answer was to take care of the unit. I keep it stored in Garmens holster case when not using it and try to keep hard objects away from it when in use.

Hopefully that'll keep it in good service for a few years. Have others had any problems with this where they couldn't read the screen? How long did it take?

Alan2

Alan2

Guest SirRonny

I found a neoprene/vinyl cover for my E-Trex at adventuregps.com for $12 and it has a clear window protecting the GPS. Very easy to read, all buttons are available, plus it has a belt clip and lanyard opening. I would think they would make the same thing for the Magellans, but didn't look specifically for them. Anyway, I thought $12 was cheap enough to help protect the investment, FWIW.

Guest SirRonny

I lied in my last post or it could be the Halfheimers my neice says I have, but it was www.gps4fun.com that I bought the case for my E-Trex at. Sorry...now where did that young whippersnapper hide my walker at????

------------------

Huh, that?s funny, the sun is setting in the East tonight?.

N36°53.348 W90°30.126

Guest st_richardson
Originally posted by BX Tale:

...I am still offering the screen protection out for FREE, just send me a SASE and any donation if any and I will be glad to send you a few pieces....

Do you still have some?

st_richardson@yahoo.com

Guest Renegade Knight

Here is one for you guys, naturally I take no responsibility should this not work...

Motorcylists and Airplane mechanics use Mirror Glaze. This is a plastic polish. It helps quite bit in polishing out small scratches. I've used it on a game boy and it worked fairly well. This stuff won't take out large sratched but it will help them be more tolerable.

What I don't know is if a Gameboy screen working with Mirror Glaze and a GPS Screen would be the same thing. In both cases the actual screen should be behind a plastic cover screen.

I once polished the screen of my Garmin Legend. It came out much better, but the deeper scratches remained.

Luckily three weeks later I got a new Legend because my old one didn't get any juice from my cig. lighter adapater. (And it wasn't the adapter)

Now I have got the carrying case for the venture/legend/vista series.

------------------

Gerard

N53 12.609 E5 46.797

#922 #16FF #305C

[This message has been edited by broek (edited 04 February 2002).]

You guys are talking about polishing/repairing scratched screens. As a motorcycle rider I have used the meguiers stuff. It works well. The thing is, it comes in different grades depending on the severity of the scratches. If you have some really deep stuff get the coarser one, then u have to finish it with the next finest one and so on until you are down to just the cleaner. If you do it this way you can even get out some deep scratches. Just need alot of elbow grease.

If anyone has a felt buffing wheel for thier electric drill you can use this to apply the polish, just use caution. We used to use an electric buffing wheel & various grades of polishing compounds to repair arcade game laser discs when I worked at an electronics company. The LDs had to have a mirror-like surface to run & we used to be able to take even deep gouges out by using progressively finer compounds. Also try toothpaste on light scratches, works well!!

I had the same problem with my mobile phone, as i'm a signwriter I had access to a clear laminating film used in digital printing in our industry, This works well and is quite clear,

I have had it on for 1 year now with no problems.

I havent had to remove it yet but dont anticipate trouble, most of these films come off easily if warmed with a hair dryer

Guest Renegade Knight

quote:
Originally posted by AngstMonger:

I'd still like to hear what the deal is with Armorall, though, so if somebody would indulge me, I'd appreciate it. I've got a bucket load of that too.

I don't know about Armor All for touch up but mirror glaze (Available at motorcycle shops and probably who ever sells airplane parts) is good for working out small scratches. It's a plastic polish. It should work on a GPS. I know it works on Gamboy Colors. Now the screen on a PDA probably would not be a good idea.