Anyone using a Rhino 120 or 110?

I bought a Rhino 120 before I learned about this game. I was wondering what people think about it, as far as accuracy and general performance. So far I have found two caches' with no problem (unit got me within 20ft) I like the unit because of the radio features, and location transmition. ( i know where the wife and kids are while I'm out fishing and the same for them when we're camping for the weekend.

I have three rino's and I have not.. repeat not been happy with them at all.

The radio is very poor in my opinion, I got the GMRS lic. but the radios have less that a mile range.

My rino's lock up after about an hour on the road. I lose signal very fast, and the accuracy is always about 30 feet.

If i had to do it over, I would get separate units for the radios, and a better upgrade GPS.

Wretsub

Georienteerer!

Wretsub

Angel Pockets Embroidey

"Our Stitches are Heavenly!!"

wretsub@hotmail.com

Then return them. If they're locking up after an hour they're obviously defective.

Accuracy of 30 feet isn't all that unusual...but I've no idea what you're comparing it to. A cache location? If so, that's not at all bad.

As far as radio range, lots of people get far less than the stated "up to" mileage on all FRS/GMRS radios. It all depends on conditions. I have a pair of Motorolas that won't get past 3/4 miles with GMRS in my local suburban environment.

George

The only GPS I've ever owned is my Rino 120 (so I have no good basis for comparison), but I'm very happy with mine.

Had shipped it back to Garmin for a radio 'tuneup' and was returned quickly and it sounds much better (range is unchanged). I've found a couple hundred caches and have beaten the heck out of the unit - it still works fine and holds up well (even dropped it while out caching in the snow and didn't find it until the next day).

Garmin customer service has also been a nice surprise - excellent! I'd second the recommendation made earlier - if they lock up or you don't think they're working right - call Garmin. They'll make it right!

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. - Ken Olsen, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

I have owned, a Garmin Etrex, Legend, Vista and Magellan Meridian Gold.

I currently own a Garmin Rino 120, Lowrance Ifinder, and (my brothers) garmin 76s

My favorite is the Lowrance because of its advanced features but my brothers 76s is better of course but 3 times more money and the maps are way outdated compared to my Lowrance's MapCreate 6 (note i use Metro Guide). The Rino is a great unit for biking, and walking but not for road use which is what I use my lowrance for.

The rino and 76s get exactly the same reception.

My lowrance is better (sensitivity)

hope this helps

I do what I gotta do, when I GOTTA do it.

I've owned two for a couple of months now and love 'em. Accuracy is usually in the single digits and constant. People have been complaining about the radio range but for me it's fine. Haven't tested the extremes yet but did get .3 of a mile in the woods which is fine for what I'm using them for. Position reporting has worked well also. I also like the triangular shape, fits well in my hand. Don't have a bash guard but did buy screen protectors from Strong. Garmin service (sent in for the radio upgrade) is outstanding.

quote:
Originally posted by wretsub:

I have three rino's and I have not.. repeat not been happy with them at all.

The radio is very poor in my opinion, I got the GMRS lic. but the radios have less that a mile range.

My rino's lock up after about an hour on the road. I lose signal very fast, and the accuracy is always about 30 feet.

If i had to do it over, I would get separate units for the radios, and a better upgrade GPS.

Wretsub

Georienteerer!

Wretsub

Angel Pockets Embroidey

"Our Stitches are Heavenly!!"

wretsub@hotmail.com

Sorry to hear that your having trouble with your Rinos. Maybe you can call Garmin and see if they can help you get them working right. If your getting less than a mile range, there is something wrong with your radios. I've done extensive testing with many radios and I get over a mile with 1/2 watt radios regularly. Only in heavily dense urban areas or dense mountainous areas did range significantly affected. Remember that FRS frequencies are 1/2 watt and GMRS frequencies are 1 watt on the Rinos.

I'm actually creating a website with my testing information compiled.

30 ft seems excessive too, I get less than 15 ft typically all the time. The Rinos are suprisingly rugged and well built. Considering that the closest competition is the AUdiovox:

fc235dbc.jpg

Overall I'm very satisfied with the Rino 120, the changes I would suggest would be to up the power to 2-5 watts and offer a recharging port so the Bash Guard does not need to be taken off to change the batteries.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com