Magellan Meridian GOLD & VIBRATION on all units

I am about to purchase the Meridian Gold ..I THINK! with so many units to choose from I'm still not sure..anyway, anyone have anything BAD to say about it? Mostly interested in Geocaching to start but want capabilities for future use with other things, so memory stick upgrades are an advantage here...also a question from my son on mounting a unit on his mountain bike (bicycle) for trail riding...how big a concern is vibration with any of these GPS units? I travel by motorcycle so no worry there for me but the mountain biking gets kind of rough! any help appreciated..Thanx

The only component which might be subject to vibration is the memory card, *but* it is "clicked in" the socket very securely and I'd be suprised if it popped loose due to bike riding. If the memory card ejects, (a) it can't go anywhere, it's secured by the batteries and (;) the GPS keeps functioning but detailed mapping data is not available (i.e. you revert to the basemap).

I had my memory card eject (slightly) by falling and skipping the unit across an asphalt parking lot rather unceremoniously. No harm done.

The eTrex series has a lanyard which can also be attached to the bars for additional safety. No such luck for the Meridian. I have the bike mount and it seems very secure, but I would still like to have a backup.

I would suggest getting another cable for your Meridian (either power or data, the cheapest that you can get), and cut off the cable. Then, you have the plug that you can attach to the brackt. The screw could then be used to securely attach the unit to the bracket. Those little hooks work pretty well, but if you are paranoid, this is what I would do.

Also, the Platinum has accelerometers on board, which MAY be affected by vibration.