GeoSnapper.com

offsky

Please pardon the flagrant self promotion of our new website, but we are in need of some beta testers.

The site is www.GeoSnapper.com

Its related to geocaching, in that you use a GPS to find places to visit, but the focus is on photography. The idea is that you take an interesting photograph and upload the picture and coordinates to the website. Now, other people can find this interesting place or thing and take a picture for themselves if they want.

For example, you are hiking in the mountains and find an abandoned mine that nobody knows about. Snap a photo, mark the coordinates and share the spot with everyone else.

For example, you found a really interesting angle to snap a photo of the Golden Gate Bridge. Share the spot so other photographers can go there and take their own photo from that vantage point.

For example, snap a photo of your favorite restaurants so people visiting your area will know were to eat.

The site has just been released to the public for beta testing. We would appreciate any feedback on how to make our site better.

Thanks,

Jake & Tom

GeoSnapper.com

Sounds like a good site.

It's almost stealing my next million dollar idea. I was thinking of a camera, that besides having the date/time stamp, you can have it stamp your picture with the location, so 5 years down the road, you remember where the picture was taken.

Now, to go find an investor....

quote:
Originally posted by offsky:

Id like to point out that http://www.geosnapper.com/ is totally free and includes most of the functionality of the $229 product mentioned above.

-Jake

I looked at geosnapper.com and it looks great a place to post geo ref'ed pics, but unless I missed something there is no program to take a photo and tracklog and create a new pic & or web page with the coords overlayed.

or did I miss it somewhere??

how4.gif No matter where you go... There you are!

NTGA member

GeoSnapper will overlay your waypoints on top of a generated map. Check out this deep link.

Also, we have some software that is not quite ready yet (remember the site is still in beta), but when its ready, it will enable you to upload a tracklog and then upload photos and it will correlate the photos automatically with the tracklog based on timestamps and it will overlay this all on top of a generated map. So yes, when the website gets out of beta, it will do most of what the software package above does.

The message boards on GeoSnapper have been fixed, so you can post now. Sorry for the inconvienence.

-Jake

GeoSnapper.com

quote:
Originally posted by offsky:

...it will enable you to upload a tracklog and then upload photos and it will correlate the photos automatically with the tracklog based on timestamps and it will overlay this all on top of a generated map.

That's some very cool tech, and a nice looking site. My only concern is your budget for disk space. icon_eek.gif You might want to incorporate a 'challenge' feature into the sight, similar to locationless caches, where people post a subject that they would like pictures of, and then people find the subject and then link them back to the challenge request, thus building up themed albums.

I guess I'll have to register and give the site a workout.

Also, if this is to be a free site, I'd be glad to offer my services for free. I have a reasonable amout of experience with php/MySQL since I use that on my home site.

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

GeoSnapper now supports tracklog uploading. When you upload the tracklog and photo, the site will automatically match up the coordinates by using the timestamp in the photo and tracklog. Current limitations are that your camera and GPS must have their clocks set to within 1 minute of each other. A future version will allow for time-shifting.

Also, the 2 tracklog formats currently supported are the Garmin MapSource text output and the MacGPS Pro tracklog file. More formats will follow.

GeoSnapper is nearly out of its beta testing phase. Thanks for all the help many of you have provided so for.

Thanks,

-Jake

GeoSnapper

quote:
Originally posted by bigRahn:

Sounds like a good site.

It's almost stealing my next million dollar idea. I was thinking of a camera, that besides having the date/time stamp, you can have it stamp your picture with the location, so 5 years down the road, you remember where the picture was taken.

Now, to go find an investor....

What I want to see is a voice-activated GPS/video cell phone/camera/PDA/universal TV remote/garage door opener that I can wear on my wrist. And I'd like it gold-plated.