Improving GPS Reception

Guest RyckZ

Guest RyckZ

I have an Garmin e-Map that GeoCaching has helped to learn how to use well beyond what I ever thought I would bother with. I've owned it since fall of 2000, and have grown to like it tremendously. Recently while GeoCaching in a wooded area in Michigan looking for Squirrel Nutkin I experienced losses of signal while in the leaveless trees. Since I am sure that there are more GPS techno savy souls out there than me, I was hoping to learn how I can improve the reception short of buying a different model. My initial idea was to get an external antenna, possibly amplified and rig it to my GeoCaching backpack. Is a ground plane necessary? Is there a particular antenna better suited for this application. Have I totally went nuts with this sport? Have you? icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by RyckZ (edited 03-07-2001).]

Guest kbraband

I also have an eMap and have used it for hunts in wooded areas. Any GPS unit is going to have problems under a canopy of trees. (Keep that in mind if you create a stash.) If you're hunting, one solution is to take a compass along. When you get close and you get a GPS direction to the coordinate, note the bearing on your compass and keep walking in that straight line if you can. The compass can help keep you moving in the right direction when the GPS signal breaks up.

Guest Mike_Teague

For the original poster... I dont know if the EMap supports it, but an external active antenna is exactly what you'd want... Be advised they use power from the gps unit, so your batteries will dry up faster, but they supposedly GREATLY increase your reception..