'GPXSonar' for Pocket PC 2002

-=(GEO)=-

Pfewww! I've managed to win the fight against PPC 2002 and there's finally a version of 'GPXSonar' available for this platform.

You can download it here.

Disclaimer: I don't own a PPC 2K2 device and I've only been able to test the program to a very limited extent under an emulator. For instance, I am unable to see my 'Tap & Hold' actions icon_frown.gif By the same token, I could not test the setup program.

Otherwise, the software offers the same functionality as the PPC 2003 version. It's also a beta release, just like the other one.

Please give it a try and post your feedback in this thread.

Regards,

Fabien.

82972_1100.jpg

I had the same problem as phantom4099. The GPX file was from last week. The loading indicator just kept spinning (Somewhat faster than normal).

Model is HP iPAQ h1910. I had the GPX file stored on the 128 meg. SD card.

Sure am looking forward to using your software.

I should add, I had "stopped all" other applications before running GPXSonar.

[This message was edited by davwil on September 23, 2003 at 04:35 AM.]

Just reporting that I had the same problem others have reported. Program installed no problem, but when I try to launch a PQ, all I get is the spinning clock icon. Looking forward to the next release.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

I've updated the PPC 2002 version of GPXSonar and I've tested it under my PPC 2003 device. I'm glad to report that everything seems to work normally icon_smile.gif.

However, I had to compromise in order to get to this point: the size of the executable file is much larger than normal because I had to suppress almost all code optimizations normally done by the compiler.

Such optimizations are 'breaking' the app for some reason and since I don't have a PPC 2002 device, I am unable to run the code under a debugger and identify what's wrong (Anyone got a loaner icon_wink.gif ?).

So for the time being, the app runs fine but is a bit of a pig.

Please, give it a spin and let me know what you think.

Regards,

Fabien.

82972_1100.jpg

Seems to be working fine now, loads PQ's much faster than GPXView. For some reason the difficulty and terrain ratings are not shown properly on the cache description page. Just shows a picture icon. The same icon is there next to the cache name and the goecachers names too. Is this a bug?

Is the only way to access the hint done on the main page? It would be nice to be able to get the hint from the cache description page.

So far I'm liking this app. Thanks!

logo_small.jpg

GeoFool...

I am not seeing any problems with the difficulty and terrain ratings (I've just re-installed the PPC2K2 to my device to check).

You should be seeing green and yellow stars just like on the gc.com pages.

Here's what I suggest: re-install the software using the default directory location (as opposed to the storage card for instance) proposed by the setup.

As a sanity check, verify the presence of 5 .gif files under Program FilesGPXSonarDocsImages

Let me know.

82972_1100.jpg

Jolly,

So far the only way, as far as i know, to get the hints is on the main cache listing page, tap and hold to bring up dialog box. Then select 'cache options' then 'show hints'.

I much prefer the way GPXview uses hints. Not really a big deal though.

logo_small.jpg

Just loaded it. The cache pages are very clean. I don't find it faster than GPXview on my h1910.

As for aesthetics, which everyone well differ, some of the fields are unnecessary.

I have no use for the waypoint. The waypoint can be seen on the cache page. This is a product of Spinning my waypoints on my GPSr. Making the waypoint the name of the cache. Which makes the name more important to me. Snugging the cache name up to the icon would be great.

The note field should be after the cache name.

The distance from center should be next to the name.

The difficulty and terrain field could be one field.

So being able to eliminate some of the list fields, or move them to the right of others would be great.

I think single clicking(highlighting) should open the cache page. On my h1910 clicking and holding makes the red ring of dots spin around twice before the choices pop up.

Great work. Thanks for the beta.

39197_3500.jpg39197_3600.jpg

POWDER!!!!!!

quote:

I can't get PIE to open up the page. Do I have to have GPX files of a later date than august? I have an Ipaq 3955.

Similar problems here, but I haven't nailed them down yet. For the record, here's what it looks like:

1. App starts, I pick a GPX. little "busy" ticker ticks on.

2. App switches to "list". ticker speeds up.

3. I get bored, tap screen and get "filters" screen with "busy" ticker going on.

4. Click "Apply" and get partial GPX listing with "busy" still ticking.

5. Click on cache. Get no IE page, but URL reference appears proper.

6. Close GPXSonar. Get assertion failed (Wincore.cpp line 332).

7. Get PPC BSOD (exception 0xc0000005 @ 97644).

I've got one GPX that will load right every time. The other 3 give various pieces of the above problem, sometimes without the "filters" screen, and sometimes with. Sometimes a total lock-up, sometimes not.

Hmph. I can offer to run it inside the MS PPC Dev Kit 2002 debugger if that would help any (have to install it again... are the debugging symbols stripped from the EXE?) I'll offer up GPX files or whatever if it will help any.

From what I've seen of it working, this thing is the Bee's Knees, man.. icon_wink.gif

alex

(edit)

Oh yeah, iPAQ 3835, PPC 2002 w/all service packs, GPX and EXE in Flash ROM (not memory card).

alexm...

Thanks for the feedback. I'd really like to get a copy of the GPX files that make the app crash. If you could zip them up and email them to me, that would be great.

Regarding running the software under a debugger: I can make a special build available to you with the debug symbols.

The fact that the GPX and the EXE are in Flash RAM is fine. As a matter of fact, the EXE must be in the main memory.

I'll send you an email shortly.

Thanks,

Fabien.

82972_1100.jpg

I like the application and am finishing my review shortly. I have a lot of good things to say about it, but I have two things that I think are big gaps.

- No search capability. I can sort, but I still have to scroll through a lot of pages to find anything real specific

- It uses a TON of memory. Over 8MB on my Axim, that's without Pocket IE open. This is vs. under 1 MB with iSilo and spun PQs.

It's far more functional than anything I've used as far as note taking and bug tracking. Those are two great features. It's not as fast by any stretch and uses up a lotta, lotta memory.

I heard a rumor at one point you were eventually hoping to set this up to sync with gc.com, is that still a goal? That would be incredible to be able to log in the field and sync to gc.com when I got home.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

Trippy...

Thank you for the feedback.

If you read my earlier posts in this thread, I have explained the compromise that I had to make to get the app to -even run- on PPC 2002.

I am aware of the footprint problem but this was the best that I could do given that I don't have the proper environment to test/debug.

Don't forget that the memory being used is also related to the size of your GPX file (I may actually compress the data at some point).

I've noted the request for a search function. It does make sense in some situations. I'd be interested to get more details about what you're looking for.

About synch'ing with the site: This is not a rumor. It is one of the major goals of this app. Some technical details need to be worked out with gc.com before I take a stab at it.

82972_1100.jpg

alexm...

Thanks for sending me the GPX file causing your PPC to crash. The good news is that I can reproduce the problem under my PPC2K3 device as well as the emulator.

I should have a fix shortly. I'll contact you directly so that you can test it on your device before I make another build.

Regards,

Fabien.

82972_1100.jpg

GeoFool...

Thanks for the feedbaack. There's a list of known issues in the 'readme' at the very beginning of the installation program. The fact that the calculation of the bearing may be inaccurate is one of them.

However, I'm not sure that the reversal that you write about is that systematic. I need to investigate what's really happening here.

Regards,

Fabien.

82972_1100.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Insp Gadget:

I am using a Jornada with 64mb of ram and an external 512mb CF card. The GPX files are locaded in the main memory as well as GPX Sonar. When I click on a file, it just spins for he longest time. The longest I let it run was 15 minutes after which I had to do a soft reset. The GPX files are new.

Are you sure you have the latest BETA release? I had this problem before the second release.

lookerline_e0.gif

mystats.php?userid=GeoFool&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=chitown.jpg

Here is a problem I am having that maybe someone else has experianced: When I tap the icon it opens fine. I select one of my PQ and all the caches display. I tap on a cache and my Axim beeps and a message comes up saying: The page you are looking for cannot be found. Any one else had this problem?

quote:
Originally posted by Growley:

Here is a problem I am having that maybe someone else has experianced: When I tap the icon it opens fine. I select one of my PQ and all the caches display. I tap on a cache and my Axim beeps and a message comes up saying: The page you are looking for cannot be found. Any one else had this problem?

This hasn't happened to me. It's possible that your PQ is corrupt. Did your try another one?

lookerline_e0.gif

mystats.php?userid=GeoFool&bgcol=FFFFF0&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=chitown.jpg