GPS V - map transfer speed

Guest johngalt42

Guest johngalt42

Perhaps I overlooked something but the fastest I can transfer maps to my GPS V is 9600 baud! Please someone tell me this isn't true as 19 megs worth of maps at that speed take about 5 hours to transfer icon_frown.gif

Guest PneumaticDeath

I've got an eTrex legend, and it does 115 kbps when transfering large data (maps, updates ,etc). I can't imagine that Garmin would abandon that feature in a model with more memory. Have you checked th serial port settings on your PC? That might be a culprit.

Even at 115 kbps, it takes ~20 minutes to transfer 7 megs of data. I think this is why they put in the "turn unit off when finished" option on transfers. Before that I went off and left it on for hours several times.

-- Mitch

Guest Iron Chef

I uploaded about 15 megs worth of maps the day that I got the unit and it also said that the connection was 9600 baud which scared me, but all the data uploaded in about 35 minutes which seems a bit faster than that. Maybe it is a problem with MapSource? I've also tried to set it to send at 115 but it negotiates down to 9600 for the initial transfer of info (memory status and such) so I'm not sure what the deal is with the V (i still love it to pieces though).

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

quote:
Originally posted by Iron Chef:

I've also tried to set it to send at 115 but it negotiates down to 9600 for the initial transfer of info (memory status and such) so I'm not sure what the deal is with the V (i still love it to pieces though).

The eMap works the same way: the initial communication for checking status, etc. is at 9600 baud and then it switches to 115200 for the actual map download. Your download time looks consistent with the 115200 baud speed, so everything's working ok.

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by peter:

The eMap works the same way: the initial communication for checking status, etc. is at 9600 baud and then it switches to 115200 for the actual map download. Your download time looks consistent with the 115200 baud speed, so everything's working ok.

That's what I figured, it's just wierd when MapSource is saying that the connection is 9600 when it is going way faster than that.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!