12volt power cable - for BMW Motorcycle

Guest adamfilip

Guest adamfilip

i would like to connect my emap to my motorcycle. its a BMW R1150RT, the BMW's have a 12 volt power socket but its not the same as the ones you would find in a car its slightly smaller. (John Deere also uses these smaller plugs) my problem is does anyone know of a power cable made for these smaller plugs or a convert cable . or something.. im no electronics guy so i dont think i could make this myself. i can buy the special connector but i wouldnt know how to setup the electronics to give my emap the volts it needs, ive seen schematics but it confuses the hell outa me. anyone can help me out??

If you can get the smaller plug and have an existing GPS power cable for regular size socket then you could cut off the large one and connect the smaller to the wires. You could even splice the smaller plug onto the cable as is without removing the other. That way you can use it for both bike and car. I'm not familiar with BMW electrics. You would have to make sure that the bike is a "negative" ground like most cars are. They may have it as a "positive" ground and without knowing what you are doing could possibly damage the GPS. A standard voltmeter would tell you what you need to know. The bike shop where you get service would point you in the right direction.

[This message has been edited by Olar (edited 27 June 2001).]