SD memory card. Do I need one?

I received my MeriGold last week and am looking at buying MapSend Topo USA as my mapping software.

What size SD card, if any, will I need for weekend Geocaching? I don't plan on going on a non-stop East-Coast geo-plurge or anything, just maybe two or three caches per weekend at max.

Should I buy a 64MB card or will the built-in 16MB of memory in the MeriGold be enough?

Thanks.

==Case

If you are only going to do couple per weekend, there is really no need to buy a card. If you are traveling, it is nice to have all the local roads in the GPS just in case. Mapsend Topo has pretty good street maps, along with the topo stuff. I was pleasantly surprised. You do have to consider the extra expense of a card reader, though.

JoeyBob

The 16 meg only holds the basemap. If you want to load any detail maps you need to get an SD card. I would get a 32meg for your hunts. It's probably more than you need but when you see the differance in the maps I think you will want to do more with it.

icon_wink.gif

geosign.gif

The 16 meg only holds the basemap. If you want to load any detail maps you need to get an SD card. I would get a 32meg for your hunts. It's probably more than you need but when you see the differance in the maps I think you will want to do more with it.

icon_wink.gif

geosign.gif

I went back and reread your post- doh! I goofed- you would need a card to upload detail maps, but you could enter your waypoints without one. The street detail is much better with the Mapsend. In a semi-related post, I saw the Mapsend Topo and an SD card bundle at WalMart for $99 today. I have the 32 meg card, and have Most of NC, part of SC, and Southeastern PA on the card, with a little room left over. Be warned, it takes a LONG time to create your maps and download them. I used the SD card reader on a usb connection, and it was still slow. I can't imagine how long it would take with the serial connection. Good luck, and good hunting!

JoeyBob

Case,

I have a Gold as well, with a 32-meg card. A long time ago I loaded the card with a Topo map of my general area that totalled about 8 megs. I have yet to even come close to the border of my map. Of course, if I plan to take a long trip, I'll load in the necessary maps, but for around-the-area travel, not much memory is needed.

(I live in Memphis... and if I remember correctly, my map goes from somewhere out by Little Rock Arkansas all the way to the Alabama border... and as far north as the southern Missouri border (not the bootheel) down to near Jackson, MS.)

JoeyBob.. you used a SD reader and it still took a long time? My 8 meg upload to my SD card was almost instantaneous. There was a slight pause when I selected "paste" but it was hardly noticeable. I'm not sure why yours took a long time.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Case,

I have a Gold as well, with a 32-meg card. A long time ago I loaded the card with a Topo map of my general area that totalled about 8 megs. I have yet to even come close to the border of my map. Of course, if I plan to take a _long_ trip, I'll load in the necessary maps, but for around-the-area travel, not much memory is needed.

(I live in Memphis... and if I remember correctly, my map goes from somewhere out by Little Rock Arkansas all the way to the Alabama border... and as far north as the southern Missouri border (not the bootheel) down to near Jackson, MS.)

JoeyBob.. you used a SD reader and it still took a long time? My 8 meg upload to my SD card was almost instantaneous. There was a slight pause when I selected "paste" but it was hardly noticeable. I'm not sure why yours took a long time.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by JoeyBob

I have the 32 meg card, and have Most of NC, part of SC, and Southeastern PA on the card, with a little room left over.

Thanks! That is the information I'm looking for! I saw the post about the Walmart Topo/SD card combo, but I think I might purchase a 32Mb card for the extra room. Just in case. icon_smile.gif

==Case

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Case,

I have a Gold as well, with a 32-meg card. A long time ago I loaded the card with a Topo map of my general area that totalled about 8 megs. I have yet to even come close to the border of my map. Of course, if I plan to take a _long_ trip, I'll load in the necessary maps, but for around-the-area travel, not much memory is needed.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by JoeyBob

I have the 32 meg card, and have Most of NC, part of SC, and Southeastern PA on the card, with a little room left over.

Thanks! That is the information I'm looking for! I saw the post about the Walmart Topo/SD card combo, but I think I might purchase a 32Mb card for the extra room. Just in case. icon_smile.gif

==Case

quote:
Originally posted by player:

I have the MapSend Topo and I really agree with JoeyBob. I think that if you have the topo and your unit that is all you need.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. For your needs why spend the extra money? icon_smile.gif

Okcan you or can't you upload Mapsend Topo maps into a Meridian series GPSr??? I'm soooo confused!!

==Case

quote:

I have the MapSend Topo and I really agree with JoeyBob. I think that if you have the topo and your unit that is all you need.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. For your needs why spend the extra money? icon_smile.gif

Okcan you or can't you upload Mapsend Topo maps into a Meridian series GPSr??? I'm soooo confused!!

==Case

quote:
Originally posted by Case_198:

Ok can you or can't you upload Mapsend Topo maps into a Meridian series GPSr??? I'm soooo confused!!

If there is an SD card plugged into it, yes you may. If there is no SD card, no you cannot.

You need to have the SD card in order to upload detail (Mapsend Topo, Streets, S&D) maps OR POI for use in the unit. The maps & POI are stored on the SD card, not in the unit's memory. (you can swap SD cards on the fly if you like)

Waypoints, routes, and tracks, however are stored in the unit's internal memory and do not require an SD card. (I wish they gave you the option to swap out waypoints, routes, and tracks to/from SD card memory, but that's another post!)

I'm guessing they went this route not only to create ONE VERY NICE & EXPANDABLE GPS, but also to keep costs down as many people may buy a unit off the shelf, pay the extra $$ for the internal memory, and never upload a darn thing to it.

alex

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

You _need_ to have the SD card in order to upload detail (Mapsend Topo, Streets, S&D) maps _OR_ POI for use in the unit. The maps & POI are stored on the SD card, not in the unit's memory. (you can swap SD cards on the fly if you like)

Waypoints, routes, and tracks, however are stored in the unit's internal memory and _do not_ require an SD card. (I wish they gave you the option to swap out waypoints, routes, and tracks to/from SD card memory, but that's another post!)

Thanks, Alex. That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. Makes sense.

*Heads off to Ebay...*

==Case

I think that every ones needs might be different and before asking ones needs every one seems to make all kinds of recommendations that might or might not be appropriate.

I am new so take this with a grain of salt. I am going to use my Platinum (when I get it, it's on order) with MapSend Topo.

No, I do not intend to get an SD card right away. I have a computer and I get more pleasure out of looking at a topo map on my computer then a 3 inch screen on my GPS unit.

I will be using the unit for metal detecting and geocaching.

I will plot my coarse on the computer.

I will determine how to get to where I am going with the topo on my computer.

I will enter the co-ordinates for the cache on the computer and the GPS unit.

When I get to the cache site I will use the GPS unit. (and probably play with it along the way).

That's it. What am I missing?

Thanks to all that reply.

One more thing....

Unless you get a good package deal, avoid Magellan SD cards. They cost about twice as much as a good SanDisk card. Just stick with a known brand name SD card and you will be fine.

About SD readers/writers...

Also pick a good name brand. This makes it easy to download updated driver when Microsloth changes their OS again. If the company that made your SD writer is out of business, then you will not get updated drivers.

Just some thoughts...

quote:

I am new so take this with a grain of salt. I am going to use my Platinum (when I get it, it's on order) with MapSend Topo.

No, I do not intend to get an SD card right away. I have a computer and I get more pleasure out of looking at a topo map on my computer then a 3 inch screen on my GPS unit. ...

I will plot my course on the computer.

When I get to the cache site I will use the GPS unit. (and probably play with it along the way).

You can do the above, but you may be rather disappointed by MapSend Topo which is based on USGS 1:100,000 maps and further compressed to be more suitable for downloading directly to the GPS rcvrs. While usable on the PC, there are much better topo maps available for that purpose such as those by Nat'l Geographic/Wildflower, MapTech, or over the internet with ExpertGPS. Any of these will give you much more detailed USGS 1:24000 scale maps on your PC screen - and you can also use them to send waypoint data to your Magellan GPS.

So if you're really only going to use the maps on your PC there's not much point in using MapSend maps. But they are quite usable for those who want to have the topo information appear right on the GPS rcvr. screen.

quote:

The 16 meg only holds the basemap. If you want to load any detail maps you need to get an SD card.

This touches on a question I've been wondering about on a Meridian GPS vs Meridian Gold. I assume the extra 14 meg allows for a better basemap. But if I'm going to use Mapsend Topo should I care about the basemap difference? or should I get the basic unit and use the extra money for a bigger (or second) SD card?

GoodHunting

45046_400.jpg

Well the extra basemap helps when you search for a smaller towns (I hear the smaller basemap contains less towns), it will also make it harder to search for any major roads or larger lakes.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by peter:

quote:

No, I do not intend to get an SD card right away. I have a computer and I get more pleasure out of looking at a topo map on my computer then a 3 inch screen on my GPS unit. ...

I will plot my course on the computer.

You can do the above, but you may be rather disappointed by MapSend Topo which is based on USGS 1:100,000 maps and further compressed to be more suitable for downloading directly to the GPS rcvrs. While usable on the PC, there are much better topo maps available for that purpose such as those by Nat'l Geographic/Wildflower, MapTech, or over the internet with ExpertGPS. Any of these will give you much more detailed USGS 1:24000 scale maps on your PC screen - and you can also use them to send waypoint data to your Magellan GPS.

So if you're really only going to use the maps on your PC there's not much point in using MapSend maps. But they are quite usable for those who want to have the topo information appear right on the GPS rcvr. screen.

"and you can also use them to send waypoint data to your Magellan GPS."

Can you really load waypoints to the Magellan without a SD card?

Exactly...that was my thinking. I don't need the bigger basemap, so I got the basic (MeriGreen) and put the extra money into a SanDisk SD card and SanDisk SD card reader and Mapsend Topo instead. Works great...

quote:
Originally posted by GoodHunting:

But if I'm going to use Mapsend Topo should I care about the basemap difference? or should I get the basic unit and use the extra money for a bigger (or second) SD card?

quote:

"and you can also use them to send waypoint data to your Magellan GPS."

Can you really load waypoints to the Magellan without a SD card?

Yup, before I received my SD card last week, I was loading waypoints into my Meridian manually and by using EasyGPS. You will need the SD card for the MapSend detail maps, though.

==Case

Yes, you need both an SD card and one of the MapSend programs to bring out the real strength of the Merigreen/gold/platinum. If all you want are major roads and current lat/long coordinates, then a state map and a 315 are in order.

Do you like urban caches ... just download a bunch and go. Figure out the streets on the way. My life is filled with meetings, schedules, and preplanned everything ... with a Merigold, Mapsend Topo and preloaded cache sites, I've got the freedom to change the course of action on the fly ... so to speak.

Do you like multi-caches ... punch in the new information and go. A quick scan of the screen will give you the best route to the next leg ... wheather it's over the road or off the road.

Do you like the 5/5 way back in the desert caches ... the detail might still save your postior if you get stranded, lost or just confused. It'll point out the closest avenue of escape.

And, if you know the address of anything, then the Merigold, SD card and MapSend will get you there quickly ... a quick visit to Big Lots and you're right back to geocaching.

Any, Meridian with an SD card is a good choice. I happen to like the larger base map that the Merigold has and I don't need the compass and other stuff that the Platinum bring to the table. But, again, the Meridian's need an SD card and a MapSend program to really make them shine.

Buy.com has the SD cards for $49.95 right now. Buy two and shipping is free ... you do have a friend, don't you? I highly recommend Buy.com. I had a disagreement with them which they very professionally corrected well beyond what I expected.

Jeepster

- Road kill on the information highway ...