Need help with software. Topo or R&R

I have done some searches and the biggest thing I learned was that the software isn't the most accurate. I am wondering which software is better for me before I buy one and wish I bought the other.

I don't use the GPS so much for the roads since I print Mapquest before I head out for a cache. What I am looking for is something that will show streams, rivers, lakes, etc. I will be buying a small boat and would like to have items like that in there. Today I did a cache in the city and came across a river I didn't know I had to cross. The topo seems to offer the same as the roads and rec. but???? Here in WI I'm not so concerned about the elevation since it isn't like I am in the mountains. I have read complaints that the R&R is outdated. Any help would be appreciated. I have a Map76s if that matters and for now I don't want to buy both of them.

I have the Topo! software...and you have to put the ! at the end, it's in the contract icon_wink.gif

I generally like it, it has lots of backroads, and strange little highlights on the maps, old gravesites, abandoned mines and things of that nature.

But some of the maps that they drew the data from or old, I think the oldest I have seen on the Washington state map is 1976, so some of the newest roads aren't listed...but all the rivers and lakes and oceans are!

I haven't used the R&R, so I can't compare the two, but I am happy with mine Mark

"Quit giving the slave drivers pointers..."

I have the Topo! software...and you have to put the ! at the end, it's in the contract icon_wink.gif

I generally like it, it has lots of backroads, and strange little highlights on the maps, old gravesites, abandoned mines and things of that nature.

But some of the maps that they drew the data from or old, I think the oldest I have seen on the Washington state map is 1976, so some of the newest roads aren't listed...but all the rivers and lakes and oceans are!

I haven't used the R&R, so I can't compare the two, but I am happy with mine Mark

"Quit giving the slave drivers pointers..."

I'm using the Topo (MapSource) and like it a lot! It give me a good idea of elevations, which is problematic for WI, but super in NM. It also gives a heads up about ditches, arroyos, etc. Quite handy. Also, the roads are more up to date than my eMap base maps.

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

I'm using the Topo (MapSource) and like it a lot! It give me a good idea of elevations, which is problematic for WI, but super in NM. It also gives a heads up about ditches, arroyos, etc. Quite handy. Also, the roads are more up to date than my eMap base maps.

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

Try ExpertGPS-it has topo maps and aerial photo coverage of the entire US. It works great for me, although I have a dsl connection. Don't know if it works as fast for dial-up users.You can try it for two weeks and see if it works for you. I also have Topo! from National Geographic, which also works well but is expensive ($99.00 per state for topo maps).

http://www.expertgps.com/default.asp

SteveOr,

You didn't insult my intelligence. Not everyone can know everything and being new to this I didn't know you can sample them. What't funny is I read another post just before I checked on this one where someone mentioned the demo at Garmin!

I went to Garmin and would like to combine both of them into one package. For what I am looking for the topo seems more up my alley. Thanks for the help and feedback. icon_smile.gif

SteveOr,

You didn't insult my intelligence. Not everyone can know everything and being new to this I didn't know you can sample them. What't funny is I read another post just before I checked on this one where someone mentioned the demo at Garmin!

I went to Garmin and would like to combine both of them into one package. For what I am looking for the topo seems more up my alley. Thanks for the help and feedback. icon_smile.gif

One unfortunate aspect of Garmin and Mapsource programs are that you can't load maps from R&R and Topo at the same time. Also if you want to add a map area into your GPS, you have to reload ALL the maps all over again. Which is pretty time consuming I might add. None the less, I'm happy with my Legend and Topo.

quote:
Originally posted by SteveOr:

One unfortunate aspect of Garmin and Mapsource programs are that you can't load maps from R&R and Topo at the same time.

You can load both at the same time, you just can't display both simultaneously on the GPS screen. I currently have both Topo and MetroGuide loaded for my area in my eMap. Normally the MG maps are what will be displayed, but when I go hiking I go into the Map Menu and select that only the Topo maps be displayed so I can see the trails and elevation contours. I've also loaded mapsets with a mix of MG, R&R, and Topo. Works fine and you can switch back and forth on the GPSr as to which maps you want to display at the moment.

To load a mix you select which maps you want from the first set, then select a different MapSource Product in the pull-down menu at the top of the screen on your PC. Then select whichever maps you want from that set. Finally download all selected maps together to your GPS unit. MapSource will prompt you for any CDROMs that may be needed.

I think the MetroGuide and TOPO Garmin maps are very good. Before I got them I went after THREE caches where the stupid MapQuest maps took me to the WRONG side of a river. THREE TIMES! Both TOPO and MetroGuide maps showed the cache in the correct place.

Granted, that's an isolated incident (well, 3 of them - lol), but the Garmin maps were WAY more accurate than MapQuest. I have a GPSV that I use on the dash of the car for turn-by-turn directions to the vicinity of a cache, then I get out with my GPSMAP 76 with TOPO loaded when the road ends. I like them both a lot.

I have both Topo and Roads and Rec and I have to admit that I like Topo much better and use it much more frequently than R&R. Topo still shows streets and often trails that you won't even see on R&R. As you mentioned, elevation isn't a huge problem here in WI, but it's still nice to know is you're going to be walking across a fairly flat plain or up and down in the Kettle Moraine.

That being said, I use the Topo maps only on the computer and haven't downloaded any onto my MAP76. I do however, download tracks back into Topo so I can see where I've been on a hunt or on a trip.

If you can choose only one, my vote would be for Topo. I think you will find it much more useful than R&R.

GLSailor

I'd have to say I use MapSource Topo more for geocaching, but I also have R&R and like them both. For the individuals who stated that some of the MapSource data is outdated, you should go to the Garmin site and update your software. If you find errors in the software, notify Garmin so that they can correct it during future updates. Also, if you have a Garmin and have never updated the "firmware" that come loaded on it, you should look into that too. I recently updated my 3 year old Garmin eMap's firmware and its performance is much improved. I feel like I've got a brand new unit.