New PocketPC GPS software package: CacheDragon

sfsdfd

Hi David and Fellow Cachers;

I now have 1.09 running. The database is manageable as you need to reload for each use...OK for now.. But...has anyone else noticed the distances between your GPS position and the cache as approximately double what it should be. I set my coords as should be and the distances are still the same... roughly twice..

Any ideas, might have something to do with the saving of info that will be corrected with 1.091?? Anyway, ideas appreciated.

Thanks and Safe Caching,

Dave, Akron, Ohio

I've just bought 1.09 but it keeps blowing up!

Is there a limit on the number of entries the database can have?

I import a gpx file go to the main menu and select exit and bang application has performed an illegal operation.

When I load the program I get error an database warning.

anyone else getting these problems?

martin

It's been a while since I logged on to your thread. Dang, I'm still trying to get Handango to respond to my registration code problems from several weeks ago. Guess I'll have to go into nagging mode. I'm looking forward to trying v1.1, that is if Handango will let me! icon_frown.gif

David, glad your tests are over.

Hi All:

Made a few more finds today !! Cache Dragon is working fine except for the "twice as far" distance problem and not being able to save the database GPX files...(I just reload them each time I run the program). So... I'm sure David will have the fix soon...

....All for now, I'm off on a Harley-Davidson vacation and will return in a few weeks. I hope to add more finds during the trip!

Safe Caching,

Dave, Akron, Ohio

from 8-16-03

quote:
Originally posted by *gln:

I used the trial version and liked it enough to purchase the full version. Now, my activation code will not activate anything except my rising blood pressure.

Handigo said they would get back to me within 48 hours. I am still waiting for them to respond. I do not expect them to get back to me at all. David has since fixed the problem somehow. But the software dosnt work so... not much point. If I just want to look at cache sheets I can use GPXview or the Spinner/IE combo. David seems to have gotten very busy with work and school. Havent seen anything in several days. I am finding that Using GPXview to see the sheets then make a note in my TODO list isnt too bad. Then when I get home i just check off the todo list when I log the caches. I would still like to see Cache Dragon implement a function to export the notes for a cache page to either Groundspeak directly or at least to a file so I can cut and paste the log notes.

glenn

I tried version 1.09 today on my Dell Axim with a Globalsat CF GPS unit. It worked fine. It did not produce any error message and did not crash. There are a few cosmetic problems, e.g. text not fitting on some buttons, etc. But otherwise, pretty good. I'm waiting for v1.1 and most likely I will buy it.

Reporting in... icon_smile.gif

Life has been crazy. I was at the firm for 80 hours last week... during the week. I never want to do that again. Spent the weekend catching up on about 34 hours of sleep, and since then, I've been getting registered for and attending my two CIS classes (while, thankfully, working normal days.)

I'm ready to dive back into it - really looking forward to polishing up v1.09 and finally releasing the long-overdue v1.1. Thanks for bearing with me and my crazy life! Watch this space for more info.

David Stein, Esq.

David, thanks for the continuing efforts.

I've been able to test v1.09 for the past couple of weeks. I'm hitting a couple of bugs. I won't bother re-describing the DB load error.

The ones I haven't seen mentioned are a crash on exit that wipes out my registration info and settings. I can forward a screen shot if it helps.

Turning off the Ipaq while cachedragon is running causes what appears to be a substantial memory leak. The application reappears but the screen takes about 30 seconds to repaint and then redraw times get prgressivley worse.

You might want to take a look at the coordinate fields on the map and location screens. If the default coordinate units are changed the text field clips or wraps the longitudinal coorindates so that they are not visible.

This one may be user error but the cache locations do not show on the map until I go to the location database and click show on map for single cache then all of them show.

If I understand the distance field on the map screen correctly, it acts as an odometer for the current track but the field is empty at all times whether a track is turned on or not. Related to this field, it would be helpful to have a "distance to cache" and a heading field on one of the compass screens.

There are a couple of other things that I've noticed but I'll have to check my notes. Please let me know if you need additional details.

quote:

8-20-03 I intend to have v1.091 up on Handango by, say, 2pm EST - ...

8-27-03 I'm ready to dive back into it ...

...Tick, tick, tick.... Time marches on and no fix. Is there any proposed date to at least get the database save error fixed on v .09 so the program is useable? just wondering here.

Is there anyway to load v1.0 AND v 1.09 at the same time?

glenn

icon_smile.gifDavid,

This is a great program. I bought it and it is very cool. But the database save caused a software crash. When is the next version going to be released, approx. I'm sure this program took a lot of work and I salute you for your hard work. The price is very reasonable as well. Keep up the good work.

I haven't heard anything to suggest its dead. Life just has a way of inserting itself when you least expect. icon_wink.gif I'm sure David will update us when he has something.

I the meantime, I was playing MoHAA the other day and was struck by the fact the compass would make a great cache finder (See below) which led to the thought that all the PC and Xbox games that I've played were just training for geocaching. How many radar displays have you seen that would make a killer cache finding tool??

shot0008.jpg

I had to reinstall my dragoncache, the registered version, now it won't accept my registration code...

Any ideas? I've tried to install it on both my memory card and the unit itself. So for now, I'm using the trial version....kinda bites after having the real one icon_smile.gif

I did try to email Dave with this, but I'm sure he's like me, busy with school.

Am having the same problem as f0t0m0m. Have been using the trial version, which is pretty good. Bought the commercial version, installed and it wouldn't accept the registration code. Contacted Handango, still waiting for them to get back to me. I do a little developing for customers who want custom database applications for Pocket PC's and to have a registration code not work....there is something really not working. But, to have this happen more than once, makes one wonder...hmmmmmm?

CacheDragon 1.1 is done and available at Handango.

I've spent the past week or so doing a lot of difficult coding, tweaking performance, fixing bugs, polishing up some of the rough spots, and rewriting the documentation. It's been a long haul, and I apologize for dropping out of touch - but I think you'll find that the results are worth the wait.

Oh - some new features, too. In particular, you'll find that you can now remap all of the controls for the map screen. e.g.: you can change the directional pad to switch between compass and map; you can set hard keys for centering. It's customizable.

Enjoy. I'll be back later to answer questions and catch up on correspondence.

Top priority: Fixing registration-code problems. If you're having trouble and haven't yet emailed me, please do so (djs10@po.cwru.edu; use the term "CacheDragon" somewhere in the subject line) - BUT, please email me the username that you use for your device.

Thanks for your patience, everyone.

David Stein, Esq.

David,

Thanks for adding the copy button. I see that you have fixed some things like the exit/ok button that really bugged me. I do have some things though that keep me from using CacheDragon.

1. The cache descriptions are cluttered with tags. Its kinda hard to make out some of the descriptions

2. It would be nice to mark a cache that has been found. I know you can click on a cache and mark it done, but when I return to the main listing. I don't have a way to distinguish the found cache from all the others unless I selected it. If you could find a way to change the appearance in the main listing of found caches that would take away the need to use the task manager as described in my post on texasgeocaching.com.

Happy to hear the good news, David icon_smile.gif

Just a note: The version number shown at Handango is still 1.09, although the upload date is 9/10/03, so it is actually v1.1. The description is also old, it says that this is a public beta.

I'm gonna give it a try this weekend.

quote:
Originally posted by Geek-Qualizer:

1. The cache descriptions are cluttered with tags. Its kinda hard to make out some of the descriptions

Hmm - I thought I'd filtered out all of the tags. Unfortunately, I can only test this against my GPX file from caches in my area. If you'll email me your GPX file, I'll run it through CacheDragon to see which tags it's not picking up...

quote:
Originally posted by Geek-Qualizer:

when I return to the main listing. I don't have a way to distinguish the found cache from all the others unless I selected it.

Actually, you can! You can filter the list in order to hide all of the caches that haven't yet been found. When you return to the list, only those that you've found will be displayed.

David Stein, Esq.

quote:
Originally posted by as77:

Just a note: The version number shown at Handango is still 1.09, although the upload date is 9/10/03, so it is actually v1.1. The description is also old, it says that this is a public beta.

Yeah, I haven't yet gotten around to updating the Handango stuff. I'm hoping to do up a better animating image, too, so you can expect all of that to be updated in the next day or so.

David Stein, Esq.

Ok, I'm a little slow right now. Do we download the trial version of cachedragon (9/10/03)? or....download the regular program and pay again?

I'm confused, heh heh, Dave, I sent you an email with the information for my particular problem. For now, I'm going to download the trial version and go with that. I can wait.

quote:
Originally posted by B. Ledeboer:

Is that the PocketPC "Device name" that you need for the registration code?

<b>Burkhardt:</b> Some others have emailed me the same question, so I'm glad that you brought this up publicly.

Registration codes provided by Handango are <b>not based on your Device Name</b>, but rather the <b>owner name.</b> This is the name that shows up in the PocketPC Today screen under "Owner of the Device," and in the "Owner Information" part of the Control Panel.

If you're having trouble finding out your registration code, then please email me the Owner Name that you use for your device. After confirming your registration of CacheDragon, I'll send you a code that will <i>definitely</i> work; I'll even test them on v1.1 before sending them to you.

David Stein, Esq.

quote:
Originally posted by David Stein:

quote:
Originally posted by B. Ledeboer:

Is that the PocketPC "Device name" that you need for the registration code?

Burkhardt: Some others have emailed me the same question, so I'm glad that you brought this up publicly.

Registration codes provided by Handango are not based on your Device Name, but rather the owner name. This is the name that shows up in the PocketPC Today screen under "Owner of the Device," and in the "Owner Information" part of the Control Panel.

If you're having trouble finding out your registration code, then please email me the Owner Name that you use for your device. After confirming your registration of CacheDragon, I'll send you a code that will definitely work; I'll even test them on v1.1 before sending them to you.

David Stein, Esq.

David;

I'm with DrSearch here. Downloaded the new trial. Was about to finally pony up cuz everything seemed to be working and no ability to touch a cache on the map screen and view the details.

Tried touching all around the cache to see if my digitizer was off, but didn't seem to work. I can move the map screen around so that seems to work. I've got a Dell so not sure what DrSearch is using, but that may be the difference?

AZMark

quote:
Originally posted by DrSearch:

One thing I have noticed when I choose "View on Map." You used to be able to tap and nearby cache on the map to get its name. That dpesn't seem to work anymore.

Really? Hmm... That's quite odd, because that is one of the few parts of CacheDragon that I didn't touch in this upgrade cycle. It shouldn't have changed at all.

I'll take a look at it and see what I can learn. Thanks for pointing it out.

Incidentally: Now that CacheDragon is pretty stable and nicely fleshed out, I intend to move toward a more frequent version-upgrade cycle - fewer changes per new version, but you'll get bug-fixes and minor improvements more quickly.

David Stein, Esq.

Hi All Cachers,

Cache Dragon is working !!! Outstanding program, havin' a blast !

One or two glitches tho- been in contact with David by direct email.... so... anyone seeing X2 distances from the cache on the info screen?? and ... does your distance/speed field on the Map screen not populate??

I emailed this to problem directly to David...but I could be doing something wrong... (I'm computer illiterate)(and spelling illiterate)... any help appreciated !

Safe caching,

Dave, Akron, Ohio

David,

The program appears to be working well for me with the exception of the cache details not showing up on the map as reported by AZMark. I am also using a Dell Axim. My major problem now is getting my wife to let me keep the Axim - she bought it for a business project. Looks like it is time for me to do some consulting for her so I can be paid in Axim.

Great piece of software, I like the interface.

Knapp Hudson

Hi All:

Caught a couple close-by caches today. CacheDragon worked well ! Nice to pop back and forth bewteen the map and the text (GPX files), however, I think this has been mentioned, the other caches represented by the dots can't be ID'd by stylus touch ??? I think David is working on that.

Also, still seeing 2X distances and the speed/distance field on the map screen is not populating.....

...All for now, but having some fun !!

Safe Caching,

Dave, Akron, Ohio