New PocketPC GPS software package: CacheDragon

sfsdfd

CacheDragon. Written by a geocacher, for geocachers.

Two months ago, I posted a question in this forum asking for recommendations for software that combined a GPS application with a geocache info database. No one had any clear advice, so I offered to write an application. Now, after eight grueling weeks of coding (taking up all of my free time), the application is done, and I think it's pretty solid.

• It's a full-fledged geocache info database - each location includes all info, including the creator's description, hints (with a decrypt button), visitors' logs, TravelBug list, and your personal notes.

• It imports GPX files of the type sent by geocaching.com.

• It displays everything on a map (along with your location, lat/long lines, scale indicator, compass, tracking info, and all the text information you'd expect.) The map is zoomable, can be moved by stylus tap-and-drag or PDA directional pad, and can display the name or extended info about any icon on the map with a stylus tap.

• You can switch to a full-screen compass if you just want directional info.

• You can set any location as your destination and get info on heading and distance.

• The map will display your footsteps ("tracks") for a total of eight hours.

• You can make a temporary map mark (e.g., "I parked my car here") very easily.

• The map is filterable - you can view only locations meeting certain criteria (e.g., only those with TravelBugs, or only those created in the last two weeks.) The filtering is pretty easy; just checkbox the types of locations you want to see and un-checkbox those you want to hide.

• 15 map and fullscreen-compass color schemes - and you can change any of the colors or create brand-new schemes!

• Satellites screen shows the IDs and signal strengths of visible satellites.

• Tons of options - here are a few: Disable your PDA's idle-off feature while CacheDragon is running; register compass information only when you're traveling a certain minimum speed; automatically set your PocketPC's clock with near-atomic precision using your GPS device; and display time as local time, military time, or GMT.

Check it out here:

CacheDragon page at Handango

Two versions are available: a trial version and a full version. The trial version is only limited in that A) it can only import the first 20 locations of a GPX file, and ;) it doesn't save or load your settings or location database.

Happy geocaching!

David Stein, Esq.

Congrats on your new baby! I hope it works well for you. If/when I upgrade from my Palm to a PPC, I'll give this a try.

Quick question: Where does the map info come from? Do you download frames from Terraserver?

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

Congrats on your new baby! I hope it works well for you. If/when I upgrade from my Palm to a PPC, I'll give this a try.

Thanks!

I think CacheDragon might be a reason to upgrade. icon_smile.gif I really felt that the assets of the PocketPC were being terrifically wasted by most other GPS software, which dumbly emulates dedicated, handheld GPS devices. Good grief, it's a 400mhz general-purpose processor - it can handle complex software - why not write a complex app for it? So, that's what I tried to do - give PocketPC GPS owners an advantage over dedicated hardware.

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

Quick question: Where does the map info come from? Do you download frames from Terraserver?

It doesn't download them from anywhere. You can throw whatever images you like into the CacheDragon working directory (Program FilesCacheDragon, or elsewhere - e.g., storage card - if you relocate it), and as long as you name them appropriately (after the geocache waypoint - e.g., "GC19C3.jpg"), CacheDragon will display them in the info screen.

That image could be anything you want. Could be the image from a webcam or photo cache, which would be a particularly cool way of tackling such caches! Could be a map image taken from Mapquest or the Terraserver image. It's up to you.

(Originally, I'd thought about automatically downloading geocaching.com's Mapquest images - but four seconds later, I realized that I couldn't begin to count the number of copyrights I'd be infringing... so I went with a more general-purpose, and my app doesn't actively grab any such files.)

David Stein, Esq.

I'm looking at getting an Axim so this interests me; I think what stunod and quakemap.com were getting at (or at least, this is what I'm wondering) is, What is the basemap based on? Is it a topo map, is it similar to the basemap on a Garmin or Magellan? can we add more detail like you can w/ map discs for those GPSrs, or use "skins" from terraserver or other maps and have the routes, waypoints, etc show up on those "skins"?

I'm new to all this so please forgive me if I'm asking the wrong questions or sound ignorant; I just want to understand as simply as possible how it'll display on the pocket PC. Thanks!

Nyarlotep

"God was my copilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I ate him"

This sounds promising, I do quit a bit with my pocket pc and geocaching so I'll be trying this out. If it's half as cool as you describe I'll add it to my pocket pc / caching FAQ at

http://www.mdgps.net/pocketcaching/

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

OK, I've tried this trial version out. To answer most of the folks questions, No I don't think a base map is possible. Think of the map page as very similar to a Etrex Yellow, or a Magellan 315. Images or maps can be added to the cache info page, but these appear as only a graphic with no gps tracking involved.

It works great with the gpx files. Basicly this turns your PPC into a low end hand held GPS with super duper gpx import and viewing. It plots them all on the map page and allows you to quickly set up routes to a cache with a touch of the screen. Just as easily see all the cache notes or logs. Maybe not the greatest for long distance cache hikers where a topo would be key, this is a must have for those of you who do lots of urban caching. Which cache is closest to where I am now? Where is there a good grouping of caches I've not found? What are the hints to go with this cache? All easily accessed with this program.

Have not been able to hook my Dell Axim up to the GPS yet, and am still using the trial version, so some of the problems I've having with it may not really be there. These seem to be some of the minor hickups, at least on the Dell....

1. Application does not appear as an active task in the task swither. If you leave the program you can't get back. Soft reset necessary to get back into program.

2. Many of the upper right OK's seem to kick you out of the program. This may be related to problem 1. but again a soft reset necessary.

3. Lots of zooming in and out on the map screen. Don't seem to need quite a many zoom points?

Even with these points, if this app. works with my GPS I'll be forking out the money. Thanks for a great app.

AZMark

azmark: Wow, thanks for the great review!

Regarding a base map: No base map is featured. *However*, I can probably code that in pretty easily. Actually, that would be pretty easy: just changing the OnPaint for the map, from "paint background a solid color (based on the current color scheme)" to "blit this part of the bitmap."

So, yes, it's possible for me to include basemap support. But here's my concern: If you're geocaching on foot, you'll probably want to be zoomed in pretty far on the map, so you can see roughly where you're going. If you're that zoomed in on the map, the application will have to stretch out a small part of the basemap to fill the whole screen - HUGE pixelization! The base maps from the Terraserver are fairly low-resolution, so I'll be doing a ton of stretching.

Nevertheless, I'll give it a shot. Probably not this weekend (I have a final in my computer science class a week from tomorrow!), but the following weekend, I'll spend some time on this feature. Shouldn't take me very long.

As for the other comments:

---

1) Can't get back to app without a soft reset: I hadn't noticed that, but I hadn't tried it, either. Which app switcher are you using - iTask? Shouldn't be hard getting my app registered with it for easy switch-back. Thanks for pointing this out.

2) Honestly, I wanted to make CacheDragon a full-screen app. There's no good reason to have either the top or bottom bars visible. Unfortunately, Microsoft has made this near impossible. I'd estimate that I've spent about ten hours, literally, trying to get my app to run full-screen. Even when I found a way to hide the top bar and move my windows to the top of my iPaq display, when I switched to a different window the OS moved the window down, below where the top bar would be. Incredibly frustrating.

I'll continue to hammer away at it, though. I could really use the extra screen space for other options and such, anyway.

3) I thought having many zooming steps would be an asset - actually I'd hoped to find a way to do it smoothly, such that holding down a hardkey would continuously zoom in or out.

You know what - I can easily make this a user-configurable option... "zooming changes scale by ____ percent" - currently that's set at about 10% per +/- tap or hard-button press, but I can easily make that variable.

---

Any more suggestions? Please, everyone, suggest everything that comes to mind! You have direct access to the developer of this app - tell me what you'd find useful.

David Stein, Esq.

Ok you asked for suggestions so here is the one thing I would love. I would love for this app to be able to xfer the waypoint gpx files between gps's. I currently have one app for gpx viewing and another for waypoint management. This would be the end all be all of pocket pc geocaching apps for me if it was able to do both. Don't know if it's feasable but that would rock. I still need to play with this some in depth but it has real promise!!

quote:
Originally posted by crashmore:

I would love for this app to be able to xfer the waypoint gpx files between gps's.

Shouldn't be too difficult. I've already written a very comprehensive GPX-import function, and an export function shouldn't be tough, either.

But I'm not sure I'm following your suggestion. Do you want CacheDragon to transfer GPX info to other PDA's running CacheDragon, to other PocketPC GPS applications, or to other GPS devices? Also, what do you mean by "waypoint management"? If you can clarify, I can probably do it. icon_smile.gif

David Stein, Esq.

quote:
Originally posted by BigBirdNL:

Does anyone know a good emulator?

Sure - Microsoft produces one. It's a little clunky - I wouldn't recommend it for daily use! - but it's more than sufficient for testing a potential app. And (except, of course, for communication with a GPS device!) I know that CacheDragon works perfectly on it, because I did almost all of my testing and development on the emulator.

David Stein, Esq.

David;

Thanks for taking the good and the bad. I didn't want to be critical but thought you could use the testing on other devices.

I use a Dell Axim. They come with an app called Switcher Bar. Not sure who makes it or if it is available separatly. The about screen just credits Dell. This is the only PPC I have to test on, so not sure what is a "feature" or what is just a problem with the Dells, but the OK buttons do seem to get you out of the screen,,,but also take you out of the app, and with no Switcher registration, you can't get back in. The "Menu" "Option" screen seems to be the one with the bigger problem? Cache Dragon doesn't even show up when you go to "Settings" "System" "Memory" "Running Programs"

On the full screen thing, you could save real estate buy getting rid of your buttons and just using the drop-up menus on the bottom bar. This removes a little of the one touch, I'm sure you were going for, but it is a much more standard way of doing things, and might reduce a little confustion? This might allow for a couple of things I was looking for, a slightly bigger compass and bigger text, in the ETA area.

Another really cool addition might be an altitude track plot, plotted against time? Nice to see that mountain you just climbed in profile.

Just to give you an idea of zoom levels, another program, I think has it about right has zoom levels of...

100ft,250ft,500ft,1000ft,2500ft,5000ft,2.5mi,5mi,10mi,25mi,50mi,100mi,250mi,,,,etc Seems to be enough and approiate for most uses.

As far as the base maps go, many programs don't include any, they just give you the option to get your own scanned maps in. This way if they need the detail, they can buy the big Quads and just scan in the portion they want and geo code the map in.

One of the very first apps I had hoped to find on the pocket pc was something similar to easy gps. The reason being is I often cache with a group of friends. When doing so it never fails that one of us doesn't have all the coordinates in their gps. Rather than doing them by hand I generally use a data cable, hook it up to my pocket pc and xfer the waypoints either to or from a gps.

After a ton of searching I found an app that will do this on the pocket PC called g7toCe. The biggest problem with it is it doesn't support the gpx file format so I have to store both a gpx file and a g7t file on my pda.

quote:
Originally posted by David Stein:

quote:

I would love for this app to be able to xfer the waypoint gpx files between gps's.

Shouldn't be too difficult. I've already written a very comprehensive GPX-import function, and an export function shouldn't be tough, either.

But I'm not sure I'm following your suggestion. Do you want CacheDragon to transfer GPX info to other PDA's running CacheDragon, to other PocketPC GPS applications, or to other GPS devices? Also, what do you mean by "waypoint management"? If you can clarify, I can probably do it. icon_smile.gif

David Stein, Esq.

If you both have Cache Dragon, you would just have to beam your gpx file to the other person. They could then import all the cache locations.

Hey fun new game tho! Cache Dragon DeathMatch mode. Two cachers meet in an open field. 1/2 hour to go hide their cache and meet back at the same location. Beam cache info back and forth, then see who can find the other persons cache first and meet back at the original location!

What I actually meant was to have the ability to use the app to send waypoints from the pocketpc to the gps and vice versa, this allows you to automate the normal manual process of entering everything in by hand in the event someone in your caching party doesn't have all the coordinates. Kinda like easy gps but for the pocketpc. I'm the only one amongst my normal caching group that has a pocketpc.

quote:
Originally posted by azmark:

If you both have Cache Dragon, you would just have to beam your gpx file to the other person. They could then import all the cache locations.

Hey fun new game tho! Cache Dragon DeathMatch mode. Two cachers meet in an open field. 1/2 hour to go hide their cache and meet back at the same location. Beam cache info back and forth, then see who can find the other persons cache first and meet back at the original location!

This application is for the pocketpc and will not run on the Palm OS. Activesynch is the program used to synch a pocketpc with a desktop pc.

quote:
Originally posted by George501949:

Do you know if Cache Dragon will work with a Sony Clie running Palm 4.1? I download the program and it said I needed Activesync, which I also downloaded. I however can not get Activecsync to connect to my Clie.

Thanks

George

quote:

Thanks for taking the good and the bad. I didn't want to be critical but thought you could use the testing on other devices.

You're completely right. Positive comments are encouraging (both for me and other potential users), but they don't help me improve CacheDragon, so youre comments are appreciated.

quote:

I use a Dell Axim. They come with an app called Switcher Bar.

Interesting - your notes simplify this problem. I think your issue is probably related to the "OK" button issue: tapping the top-bar "OK" button usually does nothing, and sometimes causes problems with CacheDragon. As I mentioned, I messed with PocketPC's libraries for a good ten hours (literally) to remove the top bar or disable the OK button, with no success. I'll keep at it. I'll also look into ensuring that CacheDragon appears on the running-programs list (I don't have a clue why this wouldn't happen automatically...?)

quote:

On the full screen thing, you could save real estate buy getting rid of your buttons and just using the drop-up menus on the bottom bar.

True, but the map buttons don't take up much room. By removing them, you'd gain probably 25 pixels on the bottom edge of the map.

Map compass size: I can *definitely* offer a larger in-map compass. I'll see what I can do about that. Probably, the compass toggle button will toggle between no map compass, a small map compass, a larger map compass, and a full-screen map compass. Would that be useful?

Map-text-side issue: I wanted to use a larger font - but the problem is that the text I'm displaying (coordinates, destination name, time and date) is so long that they need a lot of *horizontal* width. If I make the text even a little bigger, it will squeeze out the second, smaller column on the right; that will have to move to the first row, requiring four additional rows of text that will REALLY squeeze the map! If you can think of a way to solve that, I'm all ears... er, eyes.

quote:

Another really cool addition might be an altitude track plot, plotted against time? Nice to see that mountain you just climbed in profile.

Hey, that's cool! Would be very easy to implement, too. I'll put it on my to-do list.

My Garmin Navman altitude data is highly inaccurate or just not reported by the unit, but surely other units are better; I'm certain that some would find this feature useful. So, I'll get on it.

quote:

Just to give you an idea of zoom levels...

That seems decent - and also conveniently approximated to a 100% scale change: it doubles, or nearly doubles, at every step. I can easily work in an option like, "For every scale-out tap, change size by (x)%" and list a default of 100 (and, of course, a zoom-in size of 50%.)

quote:

As far as the base maps go...

That's interesting. I'd like some input on how you'd like this to work.

I think I'll need to have the user:

A) send the base map to the PDA;

;) select the base map from within CacheDragon; and

C) input bounding coordinates for each edge of the base map graphic.

I think the last step will be frustrating for most users. Can you think of any way to avoid this?

David Stein, Esq.

quote:

I often cache with a group of friends. When doing so it never fails that one of us doesn't have all the coordinates in their gps. Rather than doing them by hand I generally use a data cable, hook it up to my pocket pc and xfer the waypoints either to or from a gps.

Acknowledged, and thanks for the clarification. As azmark mentioned, you could beam your GPX file. But I think I can do something easier: I'll look into allowing users to beam location data from CacheDragon in GPX format (and receive from CacheDragon as well.) Some preliminary info suggests that this feature might be a *huge* pain to write, so it will probably take a while, but it had crossed my mind before anyway. icon_smile.gif

If all goes well, I'll probably have this coded into CacheDragon, say, in two releases. I want to tackle the easy-to-program issues that others have raised/requested and make that available very soon, but this will be the first longer-term issue that I tackle.

David Stein, Esq.

David;

For the fonts; The only problem fields are time and date, and Coords. Both of these really could be on a separate screen. Neither are needed in the cache hunt. Most of us are used to just seeing the compass/arrow with Speed, heading, ETA, and distance.

As far as the maps go you are right, this is the main reason I've not tried out Ozi Explorer, due to the fact that you would have to scan in then geocode the maps, but some seem to like the full control that it gives you. I've been using computers too long and would much rather shell out a little money for a package with all the maps included. This app doesn't really need them, but for those that want to add that, it could be a nice feature. You might want to check out www.oziexplorer.com to see how they do it.

Hope you have a great weekend, study hard!

AZMark

About having calibrated maps to use:

Take a look at UI-View maps. These maps are used in the APRS world of ham or packet radio. The maps com with a small .inf file with calibration information. There are thousands of UI-view maps out on the internet. Just do a search for "UI-view maps".

I use these maps in my CacheMaps program by incorporating a UI-View map generator called MapTool. This generator gets a MapBlast map from the internet for a specific coord and generates the calibration file for it.

As soon as I have the PPC emulator running I will play and see if these maps may be usefull.

BigBird icon_smile.gif

-- there is no spoon --

CacheMaps homepage:

CacheMaps

Nice looking application! Are you willing to write or port this application to the PalmOS, too?

The new Palm Pilots, Sony Clie's and others have processors in the 400MHz range now, as well as the PocketPC based devices.

I have a Handspring Visor Prism and, although it might be slowish, it might work even on my older unit. I use quite a bit of software on that unit and it's amazing what can be put onto a Palm!

...Caching In on the Journey

{--Firefishe--}

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

---------------------------

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

BrowNAV (Brown Navigation)

---------------------------

quote:

Two versions are available: a trial version and a full version. The trial version is only limited in that A) it can only import the first 20 locations of a GPX file, and :) it doesn't save or load your settings or location database.

Tried it out on my iPAQ 3835 (PPC2002). A few notes:

1. Have "OK" button problem as mentioned before.

2. Have "Not in task last" problem as mentioned before.

3. When I try to import any GPX, the little "loaded 0 of 0 (0%)" bar just goes nuts flashing and the CPU usage goes through the roof. It stays on "0 of 0" (or whatever) until I soft-reset the unit.

Unfortunately, without getting GPX into it, I must be missing 90% of it's "coolness". icon_smile.gif

I'll try the next one. icon_wink.gif

alex

Everyone:

Just a brief response - I'm studying hard for a CIS final on Friday, but I'm looking forward to continuing development over the weekend/next week.

Thanks very much for your comments; they're terrifically useful in deciding where to go with this application.

---

Current priorities list:

1) Variable zoom scale (easy feature; will take about 15 minutes to code.)

2) Option for larger compass (ditto.)

3) Running-tasks list. I verified this on my H5450 this past weekend - how weird is that? I don't imagine it will be difficult to solve this one.

4) Full-screen app/OK-button removal. I spent a LOT of time on this, as I noted, and didn't find a good method to do this. It's been a burr under my saddle, and apparently it annoys you guys, too. So I'm bumping this up my priorities list; we'll see if I have any luck.

5) Elevation map. Should be very easy to implement. Only two minor problems: (a) How should I tie it in with the color schemes? I could add three new colors to each scheme, or I could re-use other colors. (;) Where do I provide this option? I could make the full-screen-compass/full-screen-map toggle rotate through the altitude display as well. But I'm more inclined to implement this as a separate tab off the "GPS Info" page, just after the "Satellites" tab.

6) Base maps. This will take some considerable looking-into to figure out how to make this more than just a quick-hack solution.

7) Beaming location info. Need to do detailed research on IR/Bluetooth communications. Ditto, BigBird's request.

---

Specific (short) responses to questions posted above:

azmark: Regarding coords/date/time on the map screen - the times that I went geocaching, I relied heavily on this info. Personal preference. What I can do - very easily, actually! - is to permit the user to choose what strings are displayed on the map screen. Same concept as selecting what info appears on your PocketPC Today screen.

BigBirdNL: I'll review the apps that you suggested to figure out the implementation of the Base Map feature - more on this in the future. As for an emulator: I'm disappointed that Microsoft makes you download the whole Embedded Tools package just to use the emulator; I'll see what I can find out about downloading it separately.

Firefishe: I'd love to port this to the Palm - but sadly, it might require rewriting much/most/all of the app from scratch. I'll play around with CodeWarrior a bit and see if I can find a suitable method of porting it.

alexm: That's very strange. Do me a favor - send me your GPX file - I'll see what's going wrong. My email address is as follows: djs10@cwru.edu - I recommend using the word "CacheDragon" in the subject line to avoid my spam filters. Thanks!

David Stein, Esq.

quote:

4) Full-screen app/OK-button removal. I spent a LOT of time on this, as I noted, and didn't find a good method to do this. It's been a burr under my saddle, and apparently it annoys you guys, too. So I'm bumping this up my priorities list; we'll see if I have any luck.

I have a couple other GPS apps and at least one game app that does it as well, so there must be a fairly 'standard', albeit obscure, way to program it.

I haven't yet tried your app (though certainly will), but in those apps where what you're tryng has been accomplished, I tend to find it more annoying than beneficial. It just never fails that I want to look something else up on the device at seemingly the oddest times, and having the app currently in 'focus' in full screen mode fores me to close it just long enough to perform the other desired activity.

For that reason, I would personally prefer developers to stick with the Windows convention unless absolutely necessary....though I'm sure many will disagee.

-=BottomFeeder=-

I'm mostly a lurker around the geocaching threads and I'm not a hardcore geocacher, but...

I loaded this into my iPaq and it's the start of a pretty darn cool application. Isues are noted above, I had them, too, so there's not much I can add; sounds like they are going to get addressed.

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate the work that's gone into this.

cy

Just downloaded the trial version of your program. Looks like it has lots of potential - great work David.

About the full screen display - I wonder how Microsoft does it with the Image Viewer

----------------------------------------

Everyone:

Just a brief response - I'm studying hard for a CIS final on Friday, but I'm looking forward to continuing development over the weekend/next week.

Current priorities list:

You have a good start there. In regards to the full-screen mode there is a freeware app, ftxPBrowser, that has an excellent full-screen mode, you may be able to get some source code from the developer.

Also, you will want to make sure to support installing the app to a storage card on the pocket pc. I tried it and the help doesn't work. This is a relatively big app and a lot of people will want to run it off the storage card. I also had a problem that the app crashes when I enable the GPS. I don't know if it is related to the storage card install yet. I will post again after I reinstall to the internal memory. Thanks for your hard work! With a few of the fixes implemented above it will be a very useful app. icon_smile.gif

http://michael.sprague.name/pocketpc/

Geocaching with a Pocket PC FAQ

Thanks for the great comments, everyone!

Regarding the full-screen display: It's possible, but the ways that Microsoft suggests doing it are inconsistent (web forums are full of developer complaints!) msprague, thanks for the link - I also have a pretty well-reputed app called STFullScreen from the PocketPC Developer Network that will probably teach me the right way.

BottomFeeder brings up a good point: is this even desirable? My preference is for a slightly larger map and (somewhat) less crowding around the buttons in many screens. But I understand that many may want to switch tasks, etc.

I think I can address both concerns as follows: I'll leave the top bar visible, but make better use of it. The name of each window will be displayed in the top bar instead of in the window (which will free up a text-line of room and improve user-interface consistency), and I'll make better use of the OK/X buttons.

Let me know how you feel about that idea.

msprague: Really - it doesn't allow saving to a storage card? I think I've been led astray by my compiler documentation! OK, this will have to go into the priorities list at a fairly high level. You're correct that this is important - while the app is only 230k, a full location database is about 2-3 megs, so I'm sure people will want to store it externally.

Check back this weekend (post-exam!) for more info.

David Stein, Esq.

Forgot to mention - two very low-level priorities: better default color schemes and a better logo!

In case it wasn't completely obvious, my artistic skills are pitiful. I made a few attemts at a dragon for the logo - the results weren't really Draco... more like Barney. And some of the color schemes don't quite blend very well...

David Stein, Esq.

quote:

I think I can address both concerns as follows: I'll leave the top bar visible, but make better use of it. The name of each window will be displayed in the top bar instead of in the window (which will free up a text-line of room and improve user-interface consistency), and I'll make better use of the OK/X buttons.

Let me know how you feel about that idea.

*To me*, this sounds great. But like I said, it may be that not everyone would agree with me.

Was also re-reading the features list and something in the following caught my eye.....

"It's a full-fledged geocache info database - each location includes all info, including the creator's description, hints (with a decrypt button), visitors' logs, TravelBug list, and your personal notes."

That very last bit about 'personal notes'....does that mean a cacher could attach a note to an individual cache's info while out in the field?

IF so, I think the 'power cachers' (those who are prone to go out and find 5-6 or more caches in a single hunt) are gonna love this app.

If not, would adding such capability be feasible? I would envision being out in the field and wanting to create a note that I would then copy/paste into the cache's log when I get home and log all the day's finds here at gc.com.

-=BottomFeeder=-

quote:
Originally posted by BottomFeeder:

That very last bit about 'personal notes'....does that mean a cacher could attach a note to an individual cache's info while out in the field?

Yes! That's exactly my intent - to allow people to sketch out their notes and keep them with them.

At present, it would be tough to translate this into a visitor's log at geocaching.com. I'd like to build some kind of reporting feature that will automatically submit your most recent notes as a log visit to geocaching.com. (I'd also throw in a Public/Private checkbox to allow the user to keep some private notes from being reported.)

That's a long-term goal, but I'll have more on that later.

David Stein, Esq.

quote:

quote:

Yes! That's exactly my intent - to allow people to sketch out their notes and keep them with them.

At present, it would be tough to translate this into a visitor's log at geocaching.com.

Actually it wouldn't be all *that* difficult if the user had a copy of Pocket Controller..... which allows the clipboards of the PPC device and the desktop/notebook to be synched.

With that the note made in the field could essentially be copied directly from the PPC device into the browser of the desktop. Or at least that's the way I'd do it.

-=BottomFeeder=-

quote:

Actually it wouldn't be all *that* difficult if the user had a copy of Pocket Controller.....

Interesting option, but it strikes me as inconvenient. For each cache update, you'd have to access the "Your Notes" page for the cache in CacheDragon, copy the text to the clipboard, transfer it with Pocket Controller, access the geocaching.com page on your PC, and paste in the text.

I'd rather just have a PC application that automatically transfers all of your CacheDragon "Your Notes" logs to geocaching.com. Optimally, the user should be required only to sync the PDA and run the PC app.

Of course, a PC component to CacheDragon could do a lot more than just send data to geocaching.com - even beyond the obvious ones, like allowing a user to view the CacheDragon database on a desktop. I've been considering writing a PC component for a variety of reasons, so watch this space carefully - you may see some exciting developments!

David Stein, Esq.

quote:

I'd rather just have a PC application that automatically transfers all of your CacheDragon "Your Notes" logs to geocaching.com. Optimally, the user should be required only to sync the PDA and run the PC app.

Well yes, that would certainly be "the cat's meow"!

But even my suggestion would be so much more convenient for the 'power cachers' than what I perceive to be common practice of handwriting any notes on.....what do they call that stuff...paper?....with what...a pen? Yuck..., how 20th century! icon_smile.gif

And then those notes have to be retyped into the log here once back at the crib.

As a side note...are you familiar with a program called 'Watcher'? I know at least one very active cacher who thinks that program's just peachy. Might be worth considering how much of it's functionality could be reproduced on a PPC.

-=BottomFeeder=-

quote:

But even my suggestion would be so much more convenient for the 'power cachers' than what I perceive to be common practice of handwriting any notes on.....what do they call that stuff...paper?....with what...a pen? Yuck..., how 20th century! icon_smile.gif

Exactly! That "why am I carrying both a $700 PocketPC/GPS unit and a piece of paper" frustration was my *prime* motivation in writing CacheDragon. Even this first version of CacheDragon allows users to avoid that "scratchpad" problem.

quote:

As a side note...are you familiar with a program called 'Watcher'?

Very interesting. I wasn't aware of it before you mentioned it.

The purposes of each package appear to be different, so CacheDragon will probably never feature a "print details" or IRC feature, and Watcher probably has no reason to add a mapping feature. But CacheDragon reproduces at least some of the functions of Watcher already, with more on the way.

In the near future, you can expect to see more comprehensive filtering (more options; filtering not just in the map screen, but also filtering and sorting in the location database screen) and some better database-management functions (export as GPX, beam to another user, etc.)

David Stein, Esq.

Everyone:

I'll be releasing version 1.1 of CacheDragon by the end of next week.

A few comments:

1) If you can think of any features that would be helpful (beyond those we've discussed here), please let me know!

2) A few people have had trouble importing their GPX files. My guess is that some bad formatting in your GPX file is killing it. If this is happening to you, PLEASE email me your GPX file - djs10@cwru.edu - I'll look at it right away to diagnose the problem.

3) I've been considering releasing just the location-database part of CacheDragon as a separate package (CacheLizard?) for people who don't want/need the GPS stuff, and just want software that organizes database information in the most helpful way possible. What do you think?

David Stein, Esq.

My apologies if this has already been mentioned (and I haven't downloaded the program yet, but I will try it tonight), but I noticed that the program has a "mark" function for collecting a waypoint.

Programs such as ESRI's ArcPad have a function that does an automatic averaging of data, collecting temporary points, throwing out really bad spikes, and averaging until a particular certainty is achieved. This would be a big help in hiding caches if your GPS doesn't do automatic averaging. With my yellow eTrex, I usually collect about 10-20 points, walking out and back to the cache, turning the unit on and off, etc. Then use ExpertGPS to filter "bad" points, then averaging the lat/long manually. If I could average points in the field using my PocketPC, that would be a great feature. I've been thinking about writing an averager for the PocketPC myself, but I would rather someone else do it [icon_smile.gif]

--

stream of did I lock the front door? consciousness

quote:
Originally posted by cmpalmer:

Programs such as ESRI's ArcPad have a function that does an automatic averaging of data...

Hey, that's pretty neat! And I think I can work that into CacheDragon in the space of an hour or so... Expect it to be in the v1.1 release by the end of the week.

Some of the other features that are already done, and prepped for this release:

<UL><LI>"Save As Log" button in notes.

<LI>Variable-size map-inset compass.

<LI>Configurable placement of compass and scale indicator.

<LI>Variable zooming.

<LI>Location database sorting and filtering.

<LI>No more "X" and "OK" menu-bar buttons! (Whew, that took a while!)

<LI>Expanded "Database" options screen: import and (new!) export GPX files, move database, switch to another database file, etc. (I'm still hammering out the GPX export - at present it produces an *almost* valid GPX file, but not quite.)

<LI>Considerable relocation of options screens for easier use and general feng-shui improvement. icon_smile.gif</UL>

A few more features and some bug-testing are on the agenda for the week, so watch this space!

David Stein, Esq.

Since you're trolling for features, I figure I'll drop in one I had an idea for a while back when I started developing a similar application (that never made it past alpa -- GPXView came along and killed my desire)...

Most PocketPCs have built in voice recorders also. I'd like to be able to look at a cache page, hit the record button, and have the notes linked (or at least somehow indexed) to the cache page. Would trim a few seconds of "At blah blah blah cache..." from my recordings.. icon_smile.gif

Oh, and if you could have the application convert them to perfectly spell checked text, and upload them to geocaching.com via a free wireless worldwide internet access link, that would be quite spiffy also. icon_wink.gif (I can ask, can't I?)

Looking forward to the next version!

alex

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

Most PocketPCs have built in voice recorders also. I'd like to be able to look at a cache page, hit the record button, and have the notes linked (or at least somehow indexed) to the cache page. Would trim a few seconds of "At blah blah blah cache..." from my recordings.. icon_smile.gif

Er... that's ambitious, to say the least! Surprisingly, I think I know of a way to implement it fairly easily, so I'll see what I can do.

quote:
Oh, and if you could have the application convert them to perfectly spell checked text, and upload them to geocaching.com via a free wireless worldwide internet access link, that would be quite spiffy also. icon_wink.gif (I can ask, can't I?)

Sure, you can ask. If you're going to err, err on the side of overambitious. icon_smile.gif

David Stein, Esq.

Any thought if this will help with the quick exit problem?

Seems as if my CF gps card is too fast or too slow for Cachedragon? I set the port, speed, it looks like it starts collecting data, then beep, and the program ends. Some sort of buffering error?

Wish I could get you more information.

AZMark

quote:

Any thought if this will help with the quick exit problem?

I've noticed this problem occasionally as well.

You may find this interesting: If I build the application in Debug Mode, it works perfectly, but when I build it in Release Mode, it sometimes exhibits this problem. This is a symptom of a compiler optimization bug - yes, another Microsoft problem. I thought I'd fixed it, since it no longer happens with my GPS device and PDA.

Thanks for bearing with me through these growing pains; I'm confident that we'll get through them!

David Stein, Esq.

I'm not sure if I'm being a bit slow or what. I have a Toshiba e740 where I have to use a USB to serial adapter with a driver and everything so far has worked. However, with CacheDragon and the eTrex Vista I just received, I can't seem to get them to communicate. It appears that I can't change the baud rate for the NMEA on the Vista and it appears that the CacheDragon isn't appropriately doing 4800 when I change from the default 57600. Anyone else running into this?

quote:
Originally posted by Levarnu:

Anyone else running into this?

Levarnu: You're hardly being slow. I've had some incompatibility reports from others as well.

The bad news is that I only have a Navman sleeve at my disposal for testing purposes (actually, I don't even have that - my Navman stopped working three weeks ago, and Garmin has been slow at sending a replacement.) But CacheDragon works perfectly with the Navman, and since it really just treats the Navman as a generic serial-interface GPS device, I presumed it should work with all of them.

The GOOD news is that I'm planning to release CacheDragon v1.1, probably on Sunday, and one of the improvements should be to compatibility. Generally, I'm just going through and cleaning up some of the communications code, so I'm hopeful that the new release will solve this problem.

Thanks for your patience - hopefully the new release will work like a charm for you.

David Stein, Esq.