Easy/ExpertGPS and MAG315/320

Guest alexm

Two things:

1. I've never been able to send/receive waypoints from my 320 with any software at speeds greater than 9600 baud. I'm guessing this is a limit of the unit and not some magic tweak I'm missing? Like maybe it only does 19.2k when in software upload mode or sending NMEA formatted data?

2. When sending waypoints to the GPS, it chokes on non-ascii data and basically the software (easygps/expertgps) acts like the gps is no longer connected. Is there any way around this other than edit out the non-standard characters by hand before transmitting to the unit?

Example: Château Houma Bayouside .

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by alexm (edited 06 November 2001).]

Guest topografix

Make sure you've got fresh batteries in your Magellan. I run my Magellan 315 at 19200 baud frequently with ExpertGPS, but you do need to have good batteries.

ExpertGPS and EasyGPS should be filtering out any non-ascii characters. I'll look into what's choking your Magellan on the cache you mentioned.

------------------

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com

quote:
Originally posted by badbitbucket:

What kind of non-ascii data are you trying to send to the receiver? (just curious)

Basically, the "a" with the hat on it in chateau listed above (pardon my french... *AND* pardon the pun). It dies with a "did not confirm receipt of a command" message. All points prior to that one work.

To make it work, I just change the "a with a hat" to "a" and it goes just fine.

These aren't pressing problems.. If topografix needs a message log, I've got it. If not, no big deal. These are not pressing problems, just wondering if someone else may have experienced this and had an answer. (and maybe we'd all learn something in the process).

Thanks!