How do I view my tracks. Or my route.

I have a Garmin GPS 12. I can see on the screen, all the lines representing my travels.

My goal is to overlay that onto a map.

I have tried ExpertGPS. I asked it to recieve my tracks from the GPS, which it did fine. Then, I tried to use the "view online" feature, which seemed like a good idea, but it just gives me a bunch of junk. Where I started, as in the coordinates, and where I ended. As if I didn't already know that. I was hoping for something else, like, I dunno, actually viewing it online.

So I also have USA Photo Maps, which downloads map data from Terra server. It is spectacular for a free program, and makes great displays of topo maps, etc. So I asked it to download the track data from my GPS, but it doesnt. It will download the waypoints no problem.

What program actually does this?! I know people are doing it, how can I do it too? Grrr.. icon_smile.gif

Will my GPS not do this feature, or is it the software?

Michael

icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cleenjeep:

.....I asked it to recieve my tracks from the GPS, which it did fine. Then, I tried to use the "view online" feature, which seemed like a good idea, but it just gives me a bunch of junk.

ExpertGPS will do what you want, but you don't use the "view online" feature. Instead you bring up a "Aerial Photo" ot "Topo" map window, under the "Map" menu on version 1.1.1.

You may have to set the active point near the track to that the window will be centered on the track, but once that is taken care of, the rest should be obvious.

The "view online" feature is mostly useless as far as I'm concerned.

-- Mitch