After-market 12V power supply

Guest gnbrotz

Guest gnbrotz

Can you point me to some websites or other sources for a "non-Garmin" 12V power supply for the etrex line.

I think I can pay shipping and still come in lower than buying the name brand off the shelf.

Thanks in advance.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

My geocaching page

Can you be more specific. Are you trying to make a power supply to plug into a wall outlet to run your GPS? Do you want to run it off you car? Do you have a unit that takes the round connector on the 12 or III+ or do you have an eMap/eTrex style connector? Does your unit take unregulated power like the III+ or 12xl does it need 8V like the 12 or 3v like the eTrex units? I'd bet you can make your own cheaper. I do not know of any third party companies that are making one specificly for Garmin units.

Later

mcb

Guest gnbrotz

quote:
Originally posted by mcb:

Can you be more specific. Are you trying to make a power supply to plug into a wall outlet to run your GPS? Do you want to run it off you car? Do you have a unit that takes the round connector on the 12 or III+ or do you have an eMap/eTrex style connector? Does your unit take unregulated power like the III+ or 12xl does it need 8V like the 12 or 3v like the eTrex units? I'd bet you can make your own cheaper. I do not know of any third party companies that are making one specificly for Garmin units.

I want one to plug into my cigarette lighter with an emap/etrex connector on the other end. It should convert 12VDC output from the lighter to 3VDC input to the etrex.

I know that someone is making them because I saw someone had them listed on ebay. They didn't appear to be "homemade". I was just hoping to compare prices before I jumped on the first one.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

My geocaching page

Wolfe's cables ( http://www.gpscables.com/catalog.html ) has a variety of cables and antennas for Garmin GPS units. The eTrex/eMap to car power cable is $22. I don't have that cable (have just used NiMH cells in my eMap and the charger came with a car power cord), but I did buy a combo power/PC cable from them for a GPS12 and it worked well and was good quality construction/materials.