Did something stupid...need help!

DjBside

Ok... so Im pretty sure that Im the only LOSER on here to do this. I just bought a few weeks ago the Garmin GPS 72, and I really like it! It has a whole map of the world already on it, with most major cities. Then today I went and bought the Garmin MapSource MetroGuide USA software. I installed the software onto my PC, and I played around with it a little bit before doing the UNTHINKABLE!! I thought you could send the MapSource maps to the GPS, so that as Im geocaching I can see the streets and whatever else is around the cache that Im looking for. Well, turns out that when you DL the MapSource maps to the GPS unit...it erases whatever was already on there. It prompted me saying that if I install these maps it will erase any user created maps...I thought that the cities and world map would be ok since I didn't make them. But I was wrong and now everything that was once there is now gone. Does anyone here know how to get that world/major cities set of base maps back on to my GPS? I already have gone to Garmin's web site and sent an email to the Tech. Support...but its 5-7 working days for a responce.

Please help!

Thanks!

Brandon (DjBside)

Yes easily done. Go Here: http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?product=010-00309-00

it is the updates page for the 72. If you have not done the updates you might want to do those too, BUT off to the right on the page you will see a small downloads box for the POI that you originally had in your unit. If it is like the others, you download it to your computer (save to disk), connect your 72 to your computer, unzip it, and double click the app, and it feeds back into the 72, just like new.

4497_300.jpg

Sorry, but the 72 won't accept MapSource MetroGuide maps. It points this out in the owner's manual... It only has 1 Mb. of memory (for MapSource Points of Interest). You can't make the maps on it any better than they are out of the box.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"