Wow i'm in!!

Hi i'm new here, I had problems logging in. I,ve been looking at the Legend for my first GPS until I heard about the Rino 120. So I decided to wait for June or whenever the thing is shipped. I have used map and compass for many years and this is going to be a cool way to get around in the woods.

I'm thinking of getting another unit for general use, what would you guys recommend. I may even find a used one here if so how does one go about getting it from one of the members. Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Night Tracker:

...I,ve been looking at the Legend for my first GPS until I heard about the Rino 120....

I really enjoy my Vista.

I plan to get a pair of the Rino 120 units when they're released. To use all of the Rino features, think about a pair or talk your Geocaching friends into buying also.

quote:
Originally posted by CountryLover:

The Rino features sound great but they use FRS and/or GMRS

Does anyone know if this means there must be a service provider or does this just designated the frequencies used ?

In my part of the world I've not hear of FRS and GMRS. Will these units work outside of US ?

cheers

There is no content provider for FRS or GMRS. FRS is legal in Canada (doesn't help you in Singapore tho, sorry). GMRS is not legal in Canada. You'll have to contact your government to find out what frequencies are open for public use.

AtP

quote:

...Will these units work outside of US ?

Singapore? I'm sure they will be FINE. You will be fined for owning one, you will be fined for turning one on, you will be fined for keying the mic... icon_wink.gif

Seriously, no service provider is required, but the frequencies may not be legal to use in Singapore. They may already be allocated for use by businesses, government agencies, etc. And wouldn't it be interesting if those frequencies were used by your system that tracks vehicle usage in the downtown area? icon_eek.gif

Better check before buying.

Worldtraveler

quote:

...Will these units work outside of US ?

Singapore? I'm sure they will be FINE. You will be fined for owning one, you will be fined for turning one on, you will be fined for keying the mic... icon_wink.gif

Seriously, no service provider is required, but the frequencies may not be legal to use in Singapore. They may already be allocated for use by businesses, government agencies, etc. And wouldn't it be interesting if those frequencies were used by your system that tracks vehicle usage in the downtown area? icon_eek.gif

Better check before buying.

Worldtraveler

Thanks For the info.

Does anyone know the specific frequencies used or where I can find that out ?

The frequencies used for tracking our vehicles downtown are actually the scientific microwave 2.4GHz band which overlaps with half of the wireless network frequencies so Wireless network cards here have to be calibrated not to use part of that band. . . A REAL STUPID CHOICE I WOULD SAY 'COS THIS AFFECTS EVERYONE THAT USES WIRELESS NETWORKS FROM FREELY USING MODELS AVAILABLE INTERNATIONALLY.

Cheers!