Garmin stock skyrocketed today

kbraband

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=4755 could have had something to do with today's jump in Garmin stock value as well. As for the $50 refund cheques... Garmin 'started' cutting those quite awhile ago, so if there was an impact to be felt, it's already reflected in their current financial numbers.

http://canflag.ptbcanadian.com/images/animated/provii/ontario1.gif

Cache Canucks, you seem like a know it all, tell us why we should believe all these things you say about every subject-what in your background gives you reason to comment so much??

Even if it is an opinon or educated guess, who voted you as the guru to approve posts? I don't always agree with what is said or posted, but I give the person the benefit and courtosy to voice their piece. Someone on here uses the sig line of "I never learned anything from someone that I agreed with" or something close to that. Please don't troll for a fight, have fun, and let others do the same.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

hey man! thats cool u live in Wyoming, I lived there my whole life in Laramie, WY (the university town). I miss the snow, but Washington has more Caches' and more rivers to kayak and better/closer mountains to ski. peace, not trying to start stuff with mr canuck, just asking him a question. my bad icon_frown.gif

no prob, I love WA also, have a freind that works for the big cheese in Renton. i am planning a geocaching trip there disquised as a honeymoon (don't tell Cindy!). I must have read more into that post than intended, me bad too! I have 24 caches within 100 miles, and most are virtuals, my friend lives in Port Orchard and has almost 800 in the same area!! I'M THERE DUDE!

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rose:

"...Cache Canucks, you seem like a know it all, tell us why we should believe all these things you say about every subject-what in your background gives you reason to comment so much??..."

Despite what appears to be a provocation, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt 'dood'(...'dood'? How old are you anyway?). If you read the text of the URL hyperlink, the article that was dated 17 Dec stated:

"...Garmin International announced today that the company has received a prestigious Consumer Electronics Association Best of Innovations Award for its upcoming iQue 3600 personal digital assistant (PDA) with integrated Global Positioning System (GPS) technology. The award recognizes the best products in the Innovations 2003 Design & Engineering Showcase..."

I think it safe to bet that any hardware manufacturer who gets this type of CEA award (...you have heard of the CEA before, haven't you?) is quite likely to have the value of their stock influenced by the award's announcement. That, combined with the solid 4th quarter earnings mentioned by 'kbraband', probably made Garmin stock holders a rather happy group yesterday.

As far as the $50 rebate cheques go, it's simply a matter of established fact that it isn't a case of Garmin having to 'start' cutting them, since they've been issuing them for a good many months now (I received mine back in the summer).

So what's your point 'dood'...?

ontario1.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

I think it safe to bet that any hardware manufacturer who gets this type of CEA award (...you _have_ heard of the CEA before, haven't you?) is quite likely to have the value of their stock influenced by the award's announcement. That, combined with the solid 4th quarter earnings mentioned by 'kbraband', probably made Garmin stock holders a rather happy group yesterday.

Personally, I doubt that the CEA award has much to do with the 17% spike in the stock price. Seasoned analysts know that industry awards come and go. What they really react to are earnings.

banner-small.gif

quote:
Originally posted by kbraband:

"...Seasoned analysts know that industry awards come and go. What they really react to are earnings..."

...earnings that are realized, as well as potential.

I didn't mean to suggest that Garmin's 4th quarter numbers (and their influence on Garmin stock value) were overshadowed by the CEA award; I simply meant that the award (also announced on the same day as 4th quarter revenue estimates) was a likely contributor to a favourable earnings forecast ...which would also have a positive impact on the stock's value.

Glad to hear that it's part of your portfolio! icon_smile.gif

ontario1.gif

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on December 18, 2002 at 03:22 PM.]