Free Waypoint Exchange Software

Guest jfitzpat

Guest jfitzpat

Greetings All:

Forgive the long story...

My friends and I are avid rock climbers and hikers. After a daytrip turned into a it's-dark-and-we're-lost-and-we-wish-we'd-brought-a-LOT-more-water trip, several of us sprang for GPS units (we had a map and compass, but it was dark and foggy).

In order to trade waypoints without a lot of typing, scrolling, and clicking (and conversion to/from decimal degrees and decimal minutes!), we created a little web page. It grabs waypoints via a serial port from your GPS, lets you preview them on an interactive US map, then send them to someone via email.

The recipient also gets to preview the list on an interactive map, then optionally download the waypoints to his/her unit (it does NOT have to be same make/model as the sender's).

Theoretically it should work with most Garmin and Magellan units, we have only tested it with a Garmin eTrex, eTrex Vista, eTrex Legend, and a Magellan GPS 15 (since those are the units we have).

Recently, someone saw us use this for the first time and encouraged us to put it out for everyone, along with a database of climbs and hikes. So, we just setup:

www.lostoutdoors.com

The Waypoint Exchange is currently limited to Internet Explorer running on Windows PC's, but if it is popular, we'll create a Netscape Plugin and support more OS's.

I realize that you are not climbers, but you are welcome to use the exchange. The site is strictly non-commercial/non-profit. We just hope people find it useful, and would like to get feedback so that we can make it compatible with as many units as possible.

Feel free to drop me a note if you have any questions or comments.

-jjf