Altimeter and electronic compass opinions?

mcb

The Compass, altimeter and barometer are just some extra play toys. I usually rely on a real compass but like the altimeter because it gives me another reference when I'm plotting. I usually check the weather prior to leaving and have not used the barometer that much yet. But it is winter and when summer comes I will try it some more as I hike. icon_biggrin.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

The Compass, altimeter and barometer are just some extra play toys. I usually rely on a real compass but like the altimeter because it gives me another reference when I'm plotting. I usually check the weather prior to leaving and have not used the barometer that much yet. But it is winter and when summer comes I will try it some more as I hike. icon_biggrin.gif

The "Bushwhacker"

I bought a Etrex Vista after considering many models and options. I bought it mainly for hill walking, but also for geocaching and driving. For my use the features, and particularly size, were ideal.

Paying the extra money wasn't a problem 'cos I consider the 24MB memory to make it worth the extra. If it was just the compass and altimeter, it would have made it harder to justify.

I like the electronic compass, as it allows the unit to guide you even when moving too slow for the satellite direction alone to work. i.e. when you've stopped. True, you could do the same with a 'real' compass, but having it in the GPS is just too convenient icon_wink.gif As for eating batteries, I've set mine to turn of at 2mph when the satellite base direction info can be used, which helps a little.

The altimeter is probably the biggest 'toy', although I like being able to monitor terrain profile and rate of climb/descent whilst walking, without having to download data to view it. Pity they didn't include the profile display in the other models using GPS altitude, but I suppose they needed an extra selling point in the Vista.

My only complaint is that I can't choose between barometric and gps altimeter grrr icon_mad.gif

I bought a Etrex Vista after considering many models and options. I bought it mainly for hill walking, but also for geocaching and driving. For my use the features, and particularly size, were ideal.

Paying the extra money wasn't a problem 'cos I consider the 24MB memory to make it worth the extra. If it was just the compass and altimeter, it would have made it harder to justify.

I like the electronic compass, as it allows the unit to guide you even when moving too slow for the satellite direction alone to work. i.e. when you've stopped. True, you could do the same with a 'real' compass, but having it in the GPS is just too convenient icon_wink.gif As for eating batteries, I've set mine to turn of at 2mph when the satellite base direction info can be used, which helps a little.

The altimeter is probably the biggest 'toy', although I like being able to monitor terrain profile and rate of climb/descent whilst walking, without having to download data to view it. Pity they didn't include the profile display in the other models using GPS altitude, but I suppose they needed an extra selling point in the Vista.

My only complaint is that I can't choose between barometric and gps altimeter grrr icon_mad.gif