Design flaw w/Rino 120?

Bobfireman

I recently upgraded to a Rino 120 from the basic eTrex. I'm happy with the Rino except for one flaw... I use my Rino with the Garmin bike handlebar mount on my bike (I try to couple geocaching with biking when I can). I've noticed that when the front of the bike is subjected to a sharp shock (jumping on or off a curb, for example) the Rino will shut itself off. I then have to stop and turn the unit back on. I'm not talking about extreme biking here, and my bike even has front shocks! It appears that when this happens, its due to the power being momentarily being interupted, possibly by a flaw in the battery compartment. Has anyone else seen this problem?

www.bobfireman.com

quote:
Originally posted by bobfireman:

possibly by a flaw in the battery compartment. Has anyone else seen this problem?

From lurking in this area, I've seen reports from other garmin users about that. First time I've seen a Rino user complain that I know of. Look along the other posts. I think they've shown that a simple shim fixes the problem.

Thanks for the replies! I talked to Garmin about this and they admit that the spring on the top battery is pretty weak. I just got back from a bike ride and a couple of cache finds, and the thing was a pain in the butt. It was constantly shutting down. I have added some foam tape behind the springs on all the batteries and on the inside of the battery cover. Hopefully this will work.

I gotta admit I'm rather disappointed that a company that otherwise makes fine product would have such a weakness.

www.bobfireman.com

First, Caveat Emptor.

Secondly, search by clicking on the Find option at the top of each page. Type the following:

Rino Shut Off

You will find at least 10 other posts that say exactly what you started a new thread for. icon_smile.gif Check out that nifty find function, there's lots of conversations about Rino's, both the 110 and the 120.

Just to let you know, I'm a Rino user myself and find them to be incredibly useful for 'caching. None of the etrex line have a notes page, and the menus are more intuitive than the top of the line Vista. It had speaker and mic problems, I sent it in and they fixed it. Read everything you can find on this board, there is a vast warehouse of info on Rinos.

Have fun, cache safe.

OddTodd

Cadence

(OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)

I've also noticed this more with my rechargable batteries on my Rino than with regular Alkalines.

One other Rino design change I'd suggest (and have suggested to Garmin) is to upgrade the firmwear so the GPS and Radio settings (On/Off) are retained through powerup/down cycles (ie. so if you have the radio turned off and are just using the GPS, when you turn off and back on the unit, it comes on with the radio still off). Now, I typically turn off the radio first thing when I power up the rino (to save batteries).

It's a great unit though - great capabilities and function and Garmin's customer service is top notch.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

I had a rino 110 and had a couple of problems and told garmin I wanted a venture if they could not fix problem easily. Long story short, I got the venture and now apprecieate the extra features the rino has. The software update should fix most of your problems. One of my problems was locking up and turning off, the update seemed to fix that.