laptop gps and software

Yunaderis

Not sure if this will be what you wanted,

but I am enjoying my setup: a Garmin Vista, Sony Laptop and for software N.G. TOPO!.

I take the tracks from the Vista and load them into N.G. TOPO!. Which prints or saves some great maps with my path mapped out on them.

I have used the Vista connected to the laptop in car and sent NMEA data to N.G. software and had a great moving map display on the laptop screen. The track can be recorded and saved on the laptop instead of the vista's tracklog.

I did have some trouble with my laptop not having a 9 pin serial port. The USB to 9 pin serial port adapter was a pain to get working correctly (but it's okay now).

John

quote:
Originally posted by Centaur:

Kinda vague rquest... We might be able to help more if you told us what it was you intended to do with the GPS/data. Caching? Auto directions? etc.

-Centaur

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com/img/logo_small.jpg

sorry about that.....its striclty for auto use...i have a laptop and plan on doing some cross country driving..and am in need of a reciever and some software....no caching with this unit...thanks

quote:
Originally posted by JJW:

Not sure if this will be what you wanted,

but I am enjoying my setup: a Garmin Vista, Sony Laptop and for software N.G. TOPO!.

I take the tracks from the Vista and load them into N.G. TOPO!. Which prints or saves some great maps with my path mapped out on them.

I have used the Vista connected to the laptop in car and sent NMEA data to N.G. software and had a great moving map display on the laptop screen. The track can be recorded and saved on the laptop instead of the vista's tracklog.

I did have some trouble with my laptop not having a 9 pin serial port. The USB to 9 pin serial port adapter was a pain to get working correctly (but it's okay now).

John

thanks for the info...but i am using this for an auto and a trip.....

on a seperate note...how do you like that vista?

Try any GPSR conected to the serial port of the laptop and a software like "Street Atlas USA" or "Street Finder from Rand McNally". Personally I like Street Atlas better because Street Finder needs a conection to the internet to make addrs to addrs navigation and that's a pain when you change opinion on the road. Please take note that I'm not from USA so for me is a lot harder to move around in the STATES and "Street Atlas" helped a lot.

Best Regards

Aye, just about any GPSr that has a serial output can connect to a serial port of a laptop. I dont have any recommendation on the stand alone software though. I got a GPSV and it came with mapsource city select. Its a higher end GPS ($500 range) and will do auto routing itself (when you upload the city select maps to it) or can be used as the reciever connected to a laptop. The laptop can also be used to do auto routing and can act as a large color GPS display. This may be more $ then you are looking to spend, but sure come sin handy if your laptop isnt working and you just use the GPSV mounted on your dash. BTW, the GPSV gives you turn-by-turn directions. That is it beeps at you and indicates every turn you need to make to get to the address. (Again, when the correct maps are uploaded to the unit from the included software.)

Read about a car trip i took with my GPSV HERE

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

I use an Etrex Vista connected via the serial port to my Dell notebook. The software I use is Microsoft Streets & Trips 2002. Works well except that the Vista only updates the position on the Street & Trips map once every ten seconds (according to Microsoft, this is a limit by design due to licensing???).

I've been very pleased with all pieces of the setup. The build-in mapping on the Vista is good for general highway driving, but for detailed local street info you will definitely need another program such as S&T 2002.

I just bought a Smart Skymaster to use with my laptop. About the size of a hockey puck, its just a receiver, no display, memory or other stuff you don't need. Works with MS Streets & Trips and other software that accepts an NMEA signal. And its relatively cheap at $185. Canadian. I think that's like about 50 bucks US.

Here's the link.

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/skymaster.htm

Q=

thanks for the info...but i am using this for an auto and a trip.....

on a seperate note...how do you like that vista?

------------------------------------------------

A=

I love the Vista! I use it with almost all my outdoor sports and a little in my car.

good luck

John

I took the laptop with me on the Great Az-Ut Loop and it died the second day out. I had it on the seat next to me. There was a problem (I think) with getting heat off the unit. Laptops get real hot on the bottom... and without something on the bottom to unload this heat, you are going to have problems.

>Personally Responsible for the Recovery of .00217% of the Benchmark Database!<--watch this number!

Rand McNally has a nice (but inexpensive) setup available here for $139. Includes the map software and USB receiver.

The only downside, as mentioned in an earlier post, is that you must have an internet connection to get turn by turn directions.

homer.gif

"Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer."

The Garmin V is hard to beat for automobile travel. It works VERY well without being hooked to a notebook. But, if you really want to use a notebook/GPS hooked together, then you have a nice choice of software from which to choose. I personally favor ExpertGPS and second to that Garmin's own MapSource. Both softwares will provide on-line tracking where the GPSr streams location information to the notebook through a standard comm port in realtime. Very nice indeed