How to make interface cable connect to USB?

Hello everyone. This is my first post here, and I hope to get some help. I've answered saltwater reef tank questions for years and now I hope some karma comes back my way, because....

I am totally inept at this current moment when it comes to the whole GPS concept. icon_wink.gif I've been geocaching with friends (Team Midnight Wisemen), who use the GPSV and they love it. I do too, but family finances didn't allow such a luxury. I was going to go with the basic Etrex, but after some review and opinions I went with the Etrex Legend. After I upload the detail of the Bay Area, geocaching with the kids is going to be a blast, and I won't be restricted to only going with friends.

Anyway, that's my "bio" in a nutshell - total newbie. icon_wink.gif

Here's my dilemma, if someone could be so kind:

I have the PC interface cable, but no serial port on my laptop. I do have USB ports, and am thinking there has to be an inexpensive adapter to use? I'm sure someone out here has had this "problem" and can point me in the right direction. I don't just want to go to Circuit City and have someone sell me an "adapter" if it won't work. Any specifics, please? The laptop is a Compaq Presario 700series, and I've not even had it a year, so it's not an antique. I took it for granted that there would be a serial port, but no luck. icon_frown.gif I really hope someone can help me so I can use the EasyGPS to load some waypoints so I can go have fun with the new family toy! icon_smile.gif Thank you so much in advance, and I hope to be a productive, participating member once I get the hang of things... And I'm real experienced with answering the "same old questions" so I promise to give back 10-fold once I get the hang of things, to give some of ya'll a break! icon_wink.gif I won't answer a question unless I know the answer, though, so give me some time! icon_wink.gif I'm sure I can help future newbies out with the basics, and appreciate the help I get as one, now. Thank you so much!!

Monty

BigM

same type history here..

been on boards for years.. new to geocaching.

there are many companies that make the product you want. range is about 20 - 80$. go with a store that allows returns. some include gender changer for the serial end also.

i have used them for many other applications.

hope someone with legend can also answer up.

robbie

wings_flag.gif

"Fire burns, and when it rains... you get wet."

Hi BIG M,

I had the same laptop/GPS problem and I've tried everything there was in Circuit City, Fry's, etc.

icon_mad.gif

And you know what I've found? The only thing that really works is the one by Pfranks. Just plug and cache! icon_biggrin.gif Their adapter is small, cool looking, cheap and it WORKS!

I would highly recommend visiting pfranc.com!

Have a nice g'caching!

Thank you. I will absolutely do a search. I was really hoping to find something available at an electronics store, so I can bring the laptop in and see if it works before I buy - if it does, then it's a sale. icon_wink.gif If there's nothing, it looks as though I'll have to do something through the mail - although I do like to support stores if there's not that much of a cost difference... Although, the first time I order something online I imagine I'll be hooked on the savings! LOL

In the meantime, I unplugged an unused old camera cable from our desktop and I'm able to make that work - still doesn't help me for mobility, though. Thanks again, and I'll be sure to do a search. I just wasn't sure what exactly the term(s) would be to find out what it is I need. I think I know, now!

BTW, that Pfranks site seems to be a real personable small outfit to do business with. Call me old fashioned, though, because I'm still "afraid" to get "took" ordering something sight-unseen. A few folks get rooked on major purchases of marine stuff online, and all it takes is one "bad business deal" to offset the years of savings one might get via online supplies. Hey, I'm rambling! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks so much, again!

BIG M

BigM

quote:
Here's my dilemma, if someone could be so kind:

I have the PC interface cable, but _no serial port_ on my laptop. I do have USB ports, and am thinking there has to be an inexpensive adapter to use? I'm sure someone out here has had this "problem" and can point me in the right direction. I don't just want to go to Circuit City and have someone sell me an "adapter" if it won't work. Any specifics, please? The laptop is a Compaq Presario 700series, and I've not even had it a year, so it's not an antique. I took it for granted that there would be a serial port, but no luck. icon_frown.gif I really hope someone can help me so I can use the EasyGPS to load some waypoints so I can go have fun with the new family toy! icon_smile.gif Thank you so much in advance, and I hope to be a productive, participating member once I get the hang of things... And I'm _real_ experienced with answering the "same old questions" so I promise to give back 10-fold once I get the hang of things, to give some of ya'll a break! icon_wink.gif I won't answer a question unless I know the answer, though, so give me some time! icon_wink.gif I'm sure I can help future newbies out with the basics, and appreciate the help I get as one, now. Thank you so much!!

I use a Belkin USB to Serial converter. It works fine with EASY GPS and MapSource but it doesn't seem to work with Garmin's Updater Program that is used to upgrade the software for your unit. I posted a messgage to Garmin about a week ago and haven't heard anything yet.

So in order to upgrade my software on my GPS, I have to use my desktop.

Nothing Worth Knowing Reveals Its Secrets Easily - A Friend