Ever wish you could see the geocache type on your GPS?

Are you the type who likes to have different icons for each type of geocache? Do you find yourself painstakingly changing symbols in EasyGPS whilst referring to the list on geocaching.com? I do, so I wrote a program to do it for me. It maps each type to a different flag, marker, etc. If you never use these icons anyway, why not pretend they mean something else?

If you have a Magellan 315/320, you're REALLY in luck because I've changed the symbols on the GPS to look like the geocaching types on this website!

You can download these programs at http://home.mn.rr.com/pbe/

Let me know what you think!

I am haveing a little bit of a problem with combing the .loc files and the HTML files. I get the Html to work and it say "cache from html file: 25" , I then try the .loc files that I downloaded at the same time. But when I hit the open button I get the message that sayes error in the directory that the .loc file is located. What am I doing wrong?

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

It might just be becuase you're scanning a new .loc file which is in XML format rather than the native LOC format. Solution: Open and immediately save the .loc file in EasyGPS. This will convert the format.

Then again, it may just be because I'm not the best programmer. Can anyone tell me if it works for them?

Yeah that seemed to work; I don't know why I did not try that before. My earlier version of the software did not want to open the combined files, so I then had to download the latest version.

So the zero things are regular caches, the barrels are virtual, and the bugs are travel bugs, and the couple oo are multi? What are some of the other symbols used for (sorry about this)?

But I have to say thanks to you I now don't have to worry about looking for a cache if I am not aware if it is a virtual or not. I wish some one had done this sooner.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

I'm relieved that was the only problem.. I may have to fix it to work with older versions of EasyGPS though

I created this because I had the same problem you had--I found myself looking for a real cache at a virtual cache location. Boy did I feel dumb when I found out.

To answer your question--the icons are based on the images on this website. You can see them all here:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.asp

Also if you're editing a waypoint on the GPS, the type name will appear when you select an icon.

Can one change back to the original icons if they don't like the new ones?

Could you list which old icons are used for each new one so I can decided whether or not to use your program?

Hope I'm not being to picky for a generously free program. It is just that I am in Canada and Magellan doesn't supply to many of the peripherals (Cables, CDs, Bases) to north of the border, so I tend to be overly cautious about tampering with my 315...for now.

I have got a car cable and have made the 'mouse adapted' cable for the PC hookup, but have yet to find the CD without paying ++exchange from the USA.

GPS's...A step in the right direction!

In the first Vista releases, it was possible to download icons to the Vista, I've been told. As far as I understand, the Vista could be updated with any icon that was available in MapSource.

But this was a feature that a programmer made, but market personnell decided shouldn't be there, so it went away with 2.13 (I think).

Anders

I think over the next couple of weeks, in my spare time, I may that on a new project: finding where in the Garmin Legend firmware the waypoint icons are stored so I can hack in custom ones. Just scanning through the firmware with romhack.exe, I saw many of the main menu icons already. Part of the challenge is that I don't know exactly how they are stored (i.e. some icons are 1 bit per pixel, others are 2 bits per pixel, how do that pack the bits in memory?). What could help me get started is if anyone knows exactly what the dimensions are, in pixels, of the waypoint icons. Once the location(s) of the icons are found, changing the associated text description is a piece of cake.

df