Paperless Geocaching

Ukulele Andy

I've gone paperless and I love it but here is my one question/complaint. The map that appears on cache pages does not appear on my PDA so how do other paperless cachers deal with this?

if it matters I have:

Handspring Visor Neo (8MB)

Palm OS

Using Plucker, gpx2.html, and easygps to download and view cache pages to my PDA & GPS unit.

. . . Holoholo Kaa . . .

the map on the cache page isnt of much use, except to get a general idea of where in the state the cache is. For most of my PDA-used caching, I already know where I am, and what caches are near by, because they are in my GPS. I just use the PDA to read the cache page of ones I've already planned or are in the area.

"This is gc.com, love it or leave it "

I used to use Streets and Trips. It's good for seeing the points on a map.

I use Mapopolis (www.mapopolis.com) to do auto routing on my PDA while it's hooked to the GPS. I like it a lot and can import GPX files now with their new utility.

Routing version of Mapoolis is $99, they have cheaper ones. I saw Microsoft Streets and Trips 2004 (which comes with pocket streets and trips) for $25 at Sam's Club yesterday.

I'm pretty sure that GPX files don't contain the map file you are talking about anyway. They only contain things like name, description, etc. If the description is done in HTML and you use plucker, you /might/ be able to set it to get the images that are contained in the description area, but it's more hassle/file bloat than it's worth.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:

if it matters I have:

Handspring Visor Neo (8MB)

Palm OS

Using Plucker, gpx2.html, and easygps to download and view cache pages to my PDA & GPS unit.

Actually you left off the most important part, what GPS are you using. Since the map is important to you, I am guessing that it is not a mapping model. Well I can say the routing from Delorme's XMap on the Palm is pretty much useless because it is so slow that you can drive there by the time it calc a route for you.

A = A

I very much enjoy my PDA and GPS combo - no more paper. On those trips out of town, I bring my laptop and with the cell phone, I can surf while out Geocaching (if map is needed). I mostly use my map program loaded to my GPS and I am good to go. Love living in the 21st centry, what will it be like in 10 years from now? Hope Uncle Sam keeps it going (GPS).