tjrenegade

quote:
Originally posted by montythemule:

Mike,

Where did you obtain this mount?

Thanks

MtM

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

I purchased it through gpscity.com 39.95 plus 4.95 shipping. It took a while because it was back ordered....maybe a month

Mike Rizzo

Enfield, NH

Mike,

Are you like me and rip it out of the box as soon as you get it. I've been looking for a good mount for the Blazer for my 76S and I had a couple of questions for you.

First how much range of motion/adjustment does this mount have? Can you position it between the driver and passenger seats so that it doesn't block my view while driving and just angle it so its easier to see from the drivers side? I'm assuming that since it's a suction cup style that it is removable (i.e. I can use it 90% of the time in my Ranger, then remove it and put it in the Blazer when we go on family trips).

Thanks

Andy

As I've posted here . I liked the weighted RAM mount MUCH better than the suction mount (in fact I returned my suction cup mount.)

I posted another picture of it here along with the GPS Store case. One big bonus is the ability to use the 76S in the RAM mount with or without the GPS Store case on the 76S.

GPS City has good online info on the RAM Non-Skit Mount.

Your mileage may vary....

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."

quote:
Originally posted by Growley:

Us 5 Camp, can you buy the complete weighted mount for the 76S ready to place in the car, or must you buy the mount and then another part to hold the 76S? This is what I had to do with my Garmin mount. Thanks.

I already had a RAM mount that I use on my canoe and bike, so all I had to order was the base and a 2.5" to 1"ball base.

My setup for the car consists of: weighted base, 2.5" ball adapter, spring loaded coupler (don't know what it's called, but it adapts the ball on the back of my holder to any other 1" ball mount), holder w/ permanently attached ball.

If you don't have a RAM mount already, you'll likely want to order other bases, for example a u-clamp style for a handle bar or another round or diamond shaped base to attach via screws to a canoe or boat or ???

I'd advise you to talk on the phone with TVNav, GPS Store or GPS City. Many have posted their links and they are all easily found through Google. The only beef I have with RAM is their website is horrible. The site at GPSCity is about the best I've found for navigating the possibilities.

Good Luck!

It seems to have a good range of motion....I am not sure if you could adjust it so it does not block your view completly....

The friction mounts won't work for me.....I need something sturdy. WHen I am off road with my Jeep everything is strapped down....the boucing and rocking can get so violent the friction mount would go sailing. Also I have to consider the possibilty of a roll over...I don't need and debri flying around...as you may have guessed when I go offroad its not a nice little dirt road.

Plus I can use this on my boat which also bounces around a lot..

If you driving down a smooth Hwy then go with the friction mount. If you need something thats going to stay putt.....I think the suction or hard mount is the way to go.

quote:
Originally posted by Tightlines01:

Mike,

Are you like me and rip it out of the box as soon as you get it. I've been looking for a good mount for the Blazer for my 76S and I had a couple of questions for you.

First how much range of motion/adjustment does this mount have? Can you position it between the driver and passenger seats so that it doesn't block my view while driving and just angle it so its easier to see from the drivers side? I'm assuming that since it's a suction cup style that it is removable (i.e. I can use it 90% of the time in my Ranger, then remove it and put it in the Blazer when we go on family trips).

Thanks

Andy

Mike Rizzo

Enfield, NH

Hey all,

Quite a few threads comming off of this topic. I'm still undecided to what type of mount to buy. The thing that concerns me with the weighted dash mount is the space requirments. I drive a Ford Ranger most of the time and occasionally get to drive the wifes Blazer. In my Ranger I'm not sure if I have enough room for a mount that sits on top of the dash because of the weird slopes of the dash. Right now I just lean it against the dash and the windshield, (the non skid surface on the 76-s seems to hold it pretty well unless I take off eradically). Am I right to be concerned with the slope of the dash and the hieght from dash to windshield with the dash mounts.

Thanks

Andy

quote:
Originally posted by Tightlines01:

Hey all,

Quite a few threads comming off of this topic. I'm still undecided to what type of mount to buy. The thing that concerns me with the weighted dash mount is the space requirments. I drive a Ford Ranger most of the time and occasionally get to drive the wifes Blazer. In my Ranger I'm not sure if I have enough room for a mount that sits on top of the dash because of the weird slopes of the dash. Right now I just lean it against the dash and the windshield, (the non skid surface on the 76-s seems to hold it pretty well unless I take off eradically). Am I right to be concerned with the slope of the dash and the hieght from dash to windshield with the dash mounts.

Thanks

Andy

My friction Mount allows me to have the gps hanging over the front edge of the dash.

I lay the "arm" of the mount down almost flat. You can put the 76(s) into the "holder" in either orientation, so you put the "ball" towards the top of the dash and let a majority of the "holder" hang over the front of the dash. I do not know the Ranger dash, but I am certain the friction mount would work just fine. The friction mount is lead filled and very flexible so you can easily conform/reconfigure to meet different surface curviture.

After using both the suction cup and the friction mount, I would NOT go back to the suction cup. The friction mount is more effective, easier to use, easier to move, etc.