Newbie needing info on the Best software for a laptop. PLEASE

JzL

Hi guys, great forum.

I am looking for some names of software that will work with my navman e series GPS Receiver.

I have gotten Streets and Trips 2003 to work with it but it does not give me the info I am needing. I would like to find some software that gives me POINT TO POINT directions. (would love for it to be voiced as well.)

The reason that I am looking for such a setup is that I want to use it in my truck. I drive for a living.

Any help that can be given would be most appreciated.

TIA

JzL

I agree...DeLorme Street Atlas series (they have multiple titles...see which one may be best for your needs) integrates with many popular GPS models. I know it works with Garmin, not sure about others. Be advised, they tout integration with their OWN GPS units, and downplay the integration with others, so when you're reading the literature/features, keep that in mind, and you may want to get with them directly and make sure it works with yours.

I've tried the GPS/laptop combo, and be advised it may prove cumbersome while driving even if it works great functionally (lot of wires, etc.). You might consider upgrading to a mapping GPS so it's all in one unit. Many mapping GPSs still allow you to save routes and waypoint info in their accompanying PC software, which you would upload to/from.

FWIW...

-Dave R. from Biloxi, MS

I checked street atlas 2000 and they have listings for garmin, magellan, trimble, brunton and lowrance. Also they have a radio shak model, rockwell and a generic NMEA. As long as your unit supports NMEA it should work. I'd like to be able to tell you exactly what NMEA is but the best I can do is tell you its a standard communication protocol for GPS devices.

When GPSr's are outlawed, only Outlaws will have GPSr's.

JzL,

I posted a highly detailed account of my experiences using DeLorme Street Atlas USA 2003 with a GPS. I think you'll find it worth reading.

Regarding "GPS compatibility", I had no troubles whatsoever getting DeLorme Street Atlas USA 2003 to work wtih my Magellan 315. I do seem to recall that it had a very large list of different GPS proprietery communcation formats it was compatible with. In any case, as Ozarktroutbum said, if you can get your Navman to operate in NMEA mode, then everything should work.

-- Scott