If your Emap or GPS Map 76 is doing poorly, read this.

Guest Geoffrey

Guest Geoffrey

The GPS MAP 76 and the eMap has an external antenna connetor on the back, with the MCX connector.

The built-in antenna is not good enough for the woods. So get an external antenna for the GPS, or get This adaptor:

http://www.gpscity.com/accessories/antennas/mcxbnc_cable.html

Then take the antenna off of the Garmin 3plus and use this adaptor on your map 76. Put the Little stick antenna from the 3plus on the adaptor. Hopefully this will allow your eMap or MAP 76 to work as well as the 3plus.

your map 76 and the eMap's internal antenna was designed only for the open road and on a boat out in the open water.

Geoff from Detroit

[This message has been edited by Geoffrey (edited 04 August 2001).]

Guest peter

quote:
Originally posted by Geoffrey:

So get an external antenna for the GPS, or get This adaptor:

http://www.gpscity.com/accessories/antennas/mcxbnc_cable.html

Then take the antenna off of the Garmin 3plus and use this adaptor on your map 76).

Actually, I find my eMap in side-by-side tests with friends' II+ and III+ units to have just as good reception with only the internal antenna, if not a little better. However, the use of an active external antenna (like Garmin's 27C or Mighty Mouse 2) can improve it further.

Using the mentioned adapter with a III+ antenna is NOT a good idea. The eMap, 76, 12XL, and similar Garmin GPSRs are intended to be used only with active external antennas that draw some current. The GPSR will only switch to using the external antenna if it senses this current draw. So just connecting the III+ antenna won't do anything.

You could make it use the III+ antenna by also putting a resistor in parallel with the antenna to fool the GPSR, but it would still be much better to just use an active external antenna in the first place.

Guest faithwalker

I have the Mighty Mouse 2 for my Map76, it's not been fully tested on my unit yet but all the preliminary tests look good. It's cheaper than trying to use the cable and III+ replacement antenna. Plus it's amplified.

...Faithwalker...

I agree that the GPSMAP 76 is not quite as sensitive at the III+ but to compare it to an eMap is a bit of an insult. The eMap has a patch antenna and the GPSMAP 76 has a quadrifilar antenna. The GPSMAP 76 gets a lot better performance compared to the eMap that I have had a chance to use. In a car sure there not much difference; in the woods how ever the eMap along with any GPS with a patch antenna starts to show its weaknesses. I have used my GPSMAP 76 on many cache hunts and has been as sucessful with the 76 as when I had a III+.

Just my $0.02

mcb

Guest Geoffrey

Im just talking about how much trouble Growley has had with his new GPS Map 76 in the woods, is he doing something wrong. Is the woods he has gone in, quite dense with vegitation?

[This message has been edited by Geoffrey (edited 06 August 2001).]