OT: PC Memory

Jamie Z

I have a Gateway Pentium 4, 1.4GHz computer that I bought about a year and a half ago.

The computer is still in the same configuration as when I bought it, but I've had some problems with it being slow, or bogged down. Several times (including recently) it has refused to play DVDs.

I called the Gateway customer service line. They were very helpful and got my DVD player to work, but the tech suggested I get some more memory for my system. He said it would fix the problem permanently. I have 128 megs.

I was forwarded to their sales department where another man told me I could purchase an additional 256 megs for about $170.

I'm not very computer savvy. From my spec sheet, I know that I have RDRAM.

I have a few questions for some of you computer people. Is the tech guy lying when he says 128 megs is not much, and that more would speed up my system? Is $170 a decent price for 256 megs of RDRAM? Can I get it cheaper somewhere else?

Thanks for the help.

Jamie

Jamie,

Actually in this day and age, 128 is a bit low. You didn't say what flavor of OS you use, but definitely if Windows 2000 or XP. Passable but not the best for Windows 98. If running Windows ME you need an OS upgrade, as that's by far one of the worst OS's MS ever stumbled upon. I use 256mb as a minimum with 512mb being all most people will need for a while. I run 1 to 2gb in my machines, but I also do a lot of intensive testing, and run server OS's (even on my laptop)

RDRAM is pricier, but I find the price quoted you a little high. try www.kingston.com and see if your system is there, if not post or email your systems model # and I'll see if I can find it for you. Remember when looking that most systems that use RDRAM have to have the modules installed as pairs rather than singles, so if you want 256mb, you have to buy 2 -128's

Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side

quote:
Originally posted by CCrew:,

Actually in this day and age, 128 is a bit low.

I'd gotten that impression from talking to a couple of different folks.
quote:
If running Windows ME you need an OS upgrade, as that's by far one of the worst OS's MS ever stumbled upon.
Windows ME, yessir. Upgrade you say? Well.. I'm on pretty limited funds. The $170 memory upgrade is stretching my limits the way it is.
quote:
RDRAM is pricier, but I find the price quoted you a little high. try www.kingston.com and see if your system is there
Kingston's price is listed as $172, although I'm not positive it's the right thing I need. The closest system they had was the Performance 1400xl. I have the Performance 1400, but don't see "xl" listed anywhere on my documentaion.
quote:
post or email your systems model #
Um... Performance 1400.. is that what you need?
quote:
if you want 256mb, you have to buy 2 -128's
But I should be able to put them in alongside the 2-64megs that I should already have, right?

Jamie

Jamie it looks like you are between a rock and a hard place. If you need to upgrade and you have an odd memory type you will get stuck paying a premium for your RAM. The price you have for ram is a premium price. Or you can sell your goofy ram and use the premium you recieve to pay for another computer that uses normal ram. Naturally normal ram by todays standards means tomorrows non standard RAM.

You can try eBay to buy or sell it...

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
If running Windows ME you need an OS upgrade, as that's by far one of the worst OS's MS ever stumbled upon

'zactly where did you hear that? I am running Me, have been since it came out, and I love it. I have had 95, 98, 98se, and xp. Mellenium is great.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

quote:
Originally posted by Alphawolf:

'zactly where did you hear that? I am running Me, have been since it came out, and I love it. I have had 95, 98, 98se, and xp. Mellenium is great.

Well, I'm glad you're happy with it.

MS released it with only one reason in mind. They weren't ready with the XP transition, and they needed an updated OS to make the money markets happy. It was, and is nothing more than Windows 98 hacked to try to make the universal driver model work across platform, then reskinned to look like a new OS. It has driver issues, it has networking issues, and it has performance problems.

Where did I hear it? I'm a systems engineer for a living, and used to work at some software company in Redmond :-) Some of those technet whitepapers you'll read were based on technical scenarios I developed in the labs. While you're working on ME and loving it, I'm doing 4 way clustering on XP servers and EMC Symmetrix units. So I'm not just pulling it outta my hat :-)

Jamie...also take notice of the comment at the bottom of the page for your memory PC800 RDRAM RIMMs. RIMMS must be installed in matching pairs.

That may answer your question as to if you can lay one upside the two you have there already. Looks like you will have to change your configuration...good luck.

quote:
But I should be able to put them in alongside the 2-64megs that I should already have, right?

Absolutely correct. You should have a total of 4 slots, 2 of which are populated with 64mb RIMMS. The second set of slots may either be empty, or populated with termination boards (look like memory but have no chips on them)

I can't find info on the spec for the memory, but I'll assume they're 800mhz. You'll also need to know if they're 40 or 45ns. Mismatch in RIMM speeds may cause strange system problems.

I'm running a Compaq machine with IBM RIMMS in it with no problem. So it's not like they can't be mixed and matched.

Tina,

Thanks for the link. They look to have the best price so far, and since you've had good experience with them, I can see myself purchasing a product from them.

One question: Here's the CoasttoCoast screen (sorry, I couldn't link right to it) and sure enough on the bottom is says "PC800 RDRAM RIMMs. RIMMS must be installed in matching pairs." but the page doesn't suggest that the memory modules they sell come in pairs.

I'd hate to think that I'd need to purchase two 128-meg modules for $99 each to get the 256 megs that I want. I should be able to simply purchase the 256 meg module for $149 and that's all I'll need, right?

quote:
Originally posted by CCrew:

I can't find info on the spec for the memory, but I'll assume they're 800mhz. You'll also need to know if they're 40 or 45ns. Mismatch in RIMM speeds may cause strange system problems.

Correct. My spec sheet says "128MB RDRAM PC800 (expandable to 512MB)" As far as 40 vs 45ns, I have no idea. Where could I get that information, and is it necessary?

Is the Coast to Coast 256 meg module for $149 what I need? It looks like that's about as good a price I'll get, so if it'll work, I'll go ahead and order.

Jamie

[This message was edited by Jamie Z on December 30, 2002 at 10:01 PM.]

Jamie,

If it's a single module, no, it's not what you need. You need a pair. Advertising can be funny sometimes though, and it might warrant a call to the vendor to see if a 256 upgrade is a pair of 128's or a single 256. If it's a pair, it's a good price.

Circuit City online has 128's as singles for $64.99 which is a fair going price: Centon 128MB RAMBUS Memory Module Brand/Model: MEI 128MBRAMBUS. Also available in the stores for the same $

Thats a single, so you'd need two. Can always return if they don't work, which is nice as a LOT of companies won't return memory.

As to the speed, your existing should have a label on them that identifies them by spec. 45ns are the most common.

CC, I appreciate all the help so far.

quote:

Jamie, based on what I can find, looks like your system uses 600mhz Rambus memory.

So the "800" in the "128MB RDRAM PC800 Memory" as listed on my spec sheet is not what you are referring to?

I may take a trip out to Circuit City, like you suggested. I'll explain my situation, give them some money, and they'll give me a package of memory. Like you said, if it doesn't work, I can return it. Can't lose.

Jamie

Just looked at the stock in the Circuit City in Memphis :The Commons : 8045 GIACOSA PL MEMPHIS, TN 38133

They're not in stock.

If you have to mail oreder them, these: Tiger Direct Are $59.99 each and exactly what you need.

Hope that helps! Whew!

Roger

I'm by far no computer expert. But if you have the same configuration as to when you bought and it running slow there may be a more simple way of solving you problem. Have you tried to defag your hard drive, Updated drivers for various components. Another problem is that you could have a program(s) running in the back ground taking up memory. To find out go under start, then run. Type "msconfig". once in the utility click the start up tab and uncheck the programs one at a time and do a restart and see how it runs. Another problem could be your anit-virus and/or firewall if you have one. You can try to disable it and how it runs.

I do agree with the others about needing more memory. But if you system configuration has stayed the same but runs slower and you still have the 128 of memory something else is causing you problem.

Rowski

quote:
Originally posted by Rowski:

Another problem is that you could have a program(s) running in the back ground taking up memory. To find out go under start, then run. Type "msconfig". once in the utility click the start up tab and uncheck the programs one at a time and do a restart and see how it runs.

I'm pretty sure this is the problem, because that's what the techs have me do the few times that I've called support. They'll have me turn off some of 'em and then for a few months my computer runs fine.. and then it's back to the same thing.

quote:

Just looked at the stock in the Circuit City in Memphis :The Commons : 8045 GIACOSA PL MEMPHIS, TN 38133

Wow icon_eek.gif ! How'd you check? There are two Circuit Cities around here, I'll have to see which one that is, and if the other has them in stock. Thanks for going through the effort. If CC doesn't have them, I'll probably order from Tiger.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

I figured out Circuit City's website and was able to learn that neither store near me carries the memory. Oh well. I guess I'm off to Tiger to order the memory.

Again, thanks for the help!

Jamie

...Or just wait six months and get a whole new system for the same price....

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alphawolf:

Well, I'm glad you're happy with it.

MS released it with only one reason in mind. They weren't ready with the XP transition, and they needed an updated OS to make the money markets happy. It was, and is nothing more than Windows 98 hacked to try to make the universal driver model work across platform, then reskinned to look like a new OS. It has driver issues, it has networking issues, and it has performance problems.

Where did I hear it? I'm a systems engineer for a living, and used to work at some software company in Redmond :-) Some of those technet whitepapers you'll read were based on technical scenarios I developed in the labs. While you're working on ME and loving it, I'm doing 4 way clustering on XP servers and EMC Symmetrix units. So I'm not just pulling it outta my hat :-)

Anyone with half a brain (or who paid attention during the MS anti-trust trial) knows that 'whitepapers' put out by Microsoft are full of FUD, misrepresentations, and half-truths ...usually based on data which is skewed to portray MS products in a good light. Period. To say any different proves just how 'expert' you really are.

With that out of the way ...lets dispel some more FUD (Fear, Uncertanity, and Doubt), dealing with WindowsME. It is no better or worse (by any significant amount) than any other recent Windows version ...although IMHO, it is definitely an improvement over Win98

Each MS WIndows OS has its own set of problems ...i.e. Win98 is buggy, WinME is buggy, Win2k is buggy, and WinXP is buggy. They're ALL buggy ...so pick your poison.

As for the RAM ...while 128MB of RAM is by no means a lot, it should not make a 1.4GHz (or whatever) machine 'slow', unless you are doing intensive tasks such as 3-D rendering, desktop publishing, or other memory/processor intensive tasks. For regular use such as Web browsing, etc., 128MB is more than sufficient on that machine with that OS.

It's very likely that something else is going on here.

All Windows versions suffer from an affliction whereby over a period of time with normal use the operating system becomes so corrupted that it eventually becomes unstable and unusable. A year and a half is plenty of time for this to have happened, especially if you have installed 3rd party software on the machine. Windows will become so corrupted that the 'system restore' feature on WinME will no longer work, and the only fix is either a 'reinstall' of the OS on top of your existing install, or wipe the drive completely clean and start over.

We'll talk about the 'reinstall' as this can be done directly over your existing installation, without deleting anything, as long as you have a copy of your operating system software. (Not the 'system restore' disk, but a complete version of the OS.)

What, the system manufacturer doesn't include a copy of it's Windows software with computers anymore? Well, I guess you know who to thank for that move (hint: Microsoft).

To summarize: While the extra RAM won't hurt, it probably won't solve your problem ...find a copy of WinME and install it on top of your existing install ...which will restore the corrupted system files ....and fix the majority of problems 9 out of 10 times ...ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) problems notwithstanding.

As always, back up your important files first.

But then again, what do I know ...I'm typing this on a Debian GNU/Linux system

...but I once stayed at a Holiday Inn icon_smile.gif

jaime, for what its worth ill add my two cents.

the price you were quoted seems high to me, i just checked my local computer store and they have 512Mb for $192can? i would definately shop around before buying any additionally memory.

secondly my experience with Me is that it sucks, i maintain a network and it, in my opinion, is nearly as bad as Win95. i wouldnt try xp on your machine unless you got more memory, that isnt saying it wont run (check here for minimum requirements), but it probably wont run to your satisfaction, i would recommend Win98 SE even though it seems like a step backwards.

thirdly, you dont say, but seem to indicate, have you gotten the updates and critical service packs from MS? i find that these additions greatly improve the performance of my machine.

but in any event your machine should not be that slow and the first thing id suggest is that you get norton system works and do a check-up on you system. failing any improvement completly wipe out your sysytem and do a fresh install, i find that MS systems periodically require this and i do it much more often that every 18 monthes. good luck!

quote:
Originally posted by clps:

For regular use such as Web browsing, etc., 128MB is more than sufficient on that machine with that OS.

It's very likely that something else is going on here.

That's what I think, too. When I've called the Gateway techs, they've all explained the problem as having too many programs running in the background. They walk me through a procedure whereby I turn off the unnecessary background programs and that fixes the problem. The two or three different techs I spoke with told me that if I had more memory, the speed of the computer wouldn't be affected as much by the background programs.

quote:
All Windows versions suffer from an affliction whereby over a period of time with normal use the operating system becomes so corrupted that it eventually becomes unstable and unusable. A year and a half is plenty of time for this to have happened, especially if you have installed 3rd party software on the machine.
This is something that I've wondered about, since over time, I seem to have acquired some issues. Minor things like the computer sometimes doesn't shut down properly. Also, when I try to do a full-system virus scan, Norton freezes after going through just seven files. I didn't have those problems six months ago.

quote:
To summarize: While the extra RAM won't hurt, it probably won't solve your problem ...
Extra RAM is on the way already, so we'll see what it does.

quote:
find a copy of WinME and install it on top of your existing install ...which will restore the corrupted system files ....and fix the majority of problems 9 out of 10 times
I like this idea. It makes sense to me, other than I'm not sure off the top of my head where to "find a copy" of WinME. There are a few computer geeks at work I suppose I could talk to. Might this be a good excuse to get XP or some other newer OS?

quote:
Originally posted by dave and jaime:

the price you were quoted seems high to me, i just checked my local computer store and they have 512Mb for $192can? i would definately shop around before buying any additionally memory.

Are you sure it was RDRAM that will work with my computer? I did a lot of shopping around, and the cheapest I found it (and the place I made my purchase) was $60US per 128meg module. I purchase a pair (as required) for around $130US with shipping.
quote:
thirdly, you dont say, but seem to indicate, have you gotten the updates and critical service packs from MS?
Yes... although I seem to have encountered something funny since every day I get a message that there is an upgrade available. For about three days I installed the upgrade until I realized it was the same upgrade each time. For some reason it's not working, or my auto-update doesn't realize I have it. Now I just ignore the message. Other than that, though... yeah, I've gone to the MS website to get the updates and patches.
quote:
wipe out your sysytem and do a fresh install, i find that MS systems periodically require this and i do it much more often that every 18 monthes.
Again, this seems like a good idea to me, and maybe good reason to purchase an OS rather than relying on the Gateway System Restore disk.

For now, we'll see what the additional 256megs does. Thanks for all the help.

Jamie

Always turn OFF Windows 'Automatic Updates' unless there is a feature or bugfix which you absolutely have to have, as the 'updates' screw up your system more often than not ...as you've already found out. In WinME this is accomplished via 'Start', 'Control Panel', 'Automatic Updates' and select the 'Turn off...I will update...manually' button.

Windows rule of thumb: If your system is running fine ...ALWAYS resist the urge to install 'updates'.

(And this goes for the purported 'security patches' too.)

The Norton anti-virus suites are likely worse for your computer than any virus you can possibly encounter 'in the wild'. Do yourself a favor, and uninstall Norton and any other non-passive virus software ...they are a crock, and break more than they 'fix'.

Save your money and use one of the many free or low cost non-invasive anti-virus programs ...AVG (link below) is more than sufficient, and it doesn't hijack your system like Norton, McCaffe, etc. (YOU should be in control of your computer, not your anti-virus software.)

http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm?session=edd0ddde60a150b7695cfdb5264b68f0

As for 'upgrading' to XP ...that is a decision that you will have to make. If someone you know can loan you a WinME disk to do a reinstall over your existing install (this is entirely legal, as you have already paid once for the OS when you bought the PC, despite what Microsoft claims), it is a much cheaper solution.

Keep in mind that WinXP is not all that its cracked up to be ...and has its own set of 'problems' ...(and 512MB of RAM is probably advisable for XP, due to 'code bloat').

Finally, I can't say that I've EVER seen one of the 'system restore' CD's actually work. They are a crock, and are better suited as coasters for a drink. If someone out there has actually successfully used one of these disks to restore their system, call up the Guinness World Records people ...they are looking for an entry.

FWIW, there is probably one or more of the programs in your system tray which is causing the problems, ..Norton and QuickBooks Pro are notorious offenders, among others.

I am using 256 meg on my older PC and it still runs short. You would be best advised to upgrade to 512 meg especially if you are using windows XP. I am sure that Gateway is overcharging you for the memory, thats how they make up for the cheaper PC. You will need to know what speed your RDram is. For instance mine is 133 mhz. This effects the cost. Go to Comp USA Best Buy or shop online. I am sure you can beat the price. If you are lucky the memory that is already installed is on one card. Sometimes to save money they will user 2 smaller amounts such as 2 64 meg cards. Since PC's only have 3 rows to install these cards on normally that means you already have 2 rows filled and can only add 1 more. If only 1 row is filled you could buy a 128 meg card and a 256 meg card. Otherwise you will have to buy a 512 meg card (expensive). Hope this helps. Be sure and contact your technical support to find out how your computer wants the memory installed. On my PC the cards had to be in a specific order for the PC to recognize all the memory.

Weird.

I placed my order through TigerDirect on December 31. I chose second-day air delivery, as it was only about $0.20 more than standared. I received confirmation that the order shipped the same day. Well, by this morning I figured it should be here, but it wasn't.

Off to the TigerDirect website to find the customer service number. I dial, push a few buttons, get put on hold. As I'm waiting on hold, the UPS man knocks on my door with my delivery.

Boy, that sure would have been embarassing if I had been talking to a rep when the guy knocked.

"Uh, hold on. I have to answer the door. Oh, it's the UPS man with the delivery I'm calling to complain about. Nevermind."

So... My initial impression. The memory cards are each in a little plastic case, and the two of them (along with about 15 sheets of paper) are floating around in a rather large box. I hope rattles and bumps don't affect them.

In any case, I'm not quite sure about the procedure for installing them. I suppose if I just start taking apart my computer, I could figure it out... but other than that, is there anything special I need to know? There were no istructions included with the modules.

Jamie

My Micron came with a manual. Buried deep in the manual was the order in which they wanted you to insert the new chips. In my case I was using the old memory and adding new. It told me in which order the old chips needed to be reinserted along with the new in order to make the computer recognize all the memory. I also had tecch support so I was able to call them a confirm the order. You might be able to get this out of Gateway also.

quote:
Originally posted by Night Stalker:

...in the manual was the order in which they wanted you to insert the new chips. ...tech support...call them.... You might be able to get this out of Gateway also.

The manual. That's something I hadn't even considered. It took me a bit of searching but I found the book. I'll be flipping through it to see what it says.

As far as tech support, yeah I have that too, but I feel that since I didn't order the memory from Gateway, they aren't responsible for helping me put it in.

clps, thanks for the link, I'll check that out as well before I dive into this.

Jamie

The link that clps gave you should give you a better sense of what you need to do. I would not worry about getting a static charge wrist strap like they recommend, but when you take the cover off your machine be sure to touch the power supply to discharge your electrical charge. Do this before handling your memory chips if you can. The little critters are susceptible to static shocks, and if you and your computer are at the same level you decrease the risk of frying your new memory before you've even installed it.

All the rest will feel routine after you've done it once. Enjoy the self-rightous sense of fixing your problem by yourself icon_biggrin.gif

Don't get even - get odd

Make sure you turn the machine off AND unplug the power!

First order is to get the side of the case off. I'm not familiar with your machine, but it's either screws or a quick release lever. A manual is a good thing :-)

Since your machine is a Rambus machine, there's probably CRIMMS in at least one set of the memory slots. CRIMMS look like memory but have no chips on the boards. They're designed to terminate if there are empty slots.From the docs I can find, your machine has 4 memory slots, 2 populated, and 2 "should" have CRIMMS. Remove the crimms by pushing the connectors at each end toward the system board. Lift them out, and replace them with the memory you purchased. Be sure to ground yourself to the case before you handle the memory. It only goes in one way, so pay attention to the orientation of the slots on the memory. If you have to force it, something's wrong. You'll be left with the crimms unused, put them back in the memory envelope and save them "just in case" Make sure they're pressed in the slots far enough to cause the latches you pushe to remove the crimms to latch the new memory in place

Reassemble case, turn on, and enjoy :-)

quote:
find a copy of WinME and install it on top of your existing install ...which will restore the corrupted system files ....and fix the majority of problems 9 out of 10 times ...

Because ANY windows savvy engineer knows that an in place install that you specify does little to nothing to correct the problems.

So I guess the rest of it can be read with the understanding of same level of bull factor.

quote:
Because ANY windows savvy engineer knows that an in place install that you specify does little to nothing to correct the problems.

So I guess the rest of it can be read with the understanding of same level of bull factor.

Thanks, that's the best one I've heard in a while icon_smile.gif

It's funny how MSCE's (and MS tech support) would rather you just wipe the drive from the get go and reinstall from scratch.

No matter that folks may have things on their computer that are important to them, are not backed up, and will be lost when the drive is wiped.

I've lost count of the number of fscked up Microsoft Windows systems I've repaired/restored by the method that you claim does 'little to nothing'.

Give it a try sometime, you may learn something that isn't in the MSCE manual.

quote:

Ok, clps, you win.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

I wasn't trying to 'win' anything, nor was I trying to dazzle you with my lack of 'wits'.

What I was trying to do was provide an alternative to the MSCE superfluous viewpoint icon_smile.gif

quote:

Make a difference?

Actually, no. None that I noticed. icon_frown.gif

I called Gateway and we configured the startup not to run so many programs, and now it's back up to speed... but I don't think it's any different than it was before I put in the memory.

Jamie