How To Make Maps?

ChevyFam

I am looking for information as to what software I need to make maps to print out. I have a Garmin eTrex Legend. I want to map the 4 wheel drive trails that I've been scouting out, and be able to print off a map with the waypoints. I have a map from someone else who I don't know (long story), and what I get from it is software called PCX5. Anyone know if that is what I need? I can scan it in if you need to see an example. Thanks!

-Andrea

Thanks! I downloaded the trial. I have figured out how to put a single waypoint on a map, but putting a route or tracks on a map is beyond me. I'll play around with it some more. Any tips/tricks would be appreciated!

Turns out we were just a few feet away from a cache yesterday, when looking for a different one. I will have to go back this afternoon I think and find it!

-Andrea

quote:
Originally posted by ChevyFam:

I am looking for information as to what software I need to make maps to print out. I have a Garmin eTrex Legend. I want to map the 4 wheel drive trails that I've been scouting out, and be able to print off a map with the waypoints. I have a map from someone else who I don't know (long story), and what I get from it is software called PCX5. Anyone know if that is what I need? I can scan it in if you need to see an example. Thanks!

PCX5 is an older map format used by Garmin's Mapsource program.

Since these are offroad trails, I would suggest using Garmin's Topo mapping. You can simply upload the tracking data from your GPS into the mapping program. There's really no need for ExpertGPS.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

I'm in 100% agreement with Prime Suspect Re: Garmin MapSource! It is the ONLY product that you will be able to upload maps INTO your Legend! I can also verify that it has an "Import" feature for PCX5 files (*.wpt | *.rte | *.trk | *.grm).

I do not know much about PCX5 format , but I suspect that in the past, Garmin made you save tracks, waypoints and routes as individual files whereas now they allow you to save EVERYTHING into one .mps file.

Still, the currently published MapSource programs allow you to import those older files. Saving or exporting does not seem to be an option, however. So, with MapSource, you could READ and subsequently print such files from this person, but he may not be able to read the .mps files that current MapSource programs create. If that's the case, he should "get with the Garmin program"!

If you send me a pcx5 format file with your email address, I will send you a screenshot of it in MapSource!!! icon_wink.gif

Previous posts with links to other software show no proof of pcx5 compatability - they may just want you to see their Web site and buy their software. In fact, some of it looks so cool that I might buy it!!!

Still, IT MAY NOT DO WHAT YOU WANT IT TO DO!!!!

Drop me a line!

Sounds like that is the one, then. I don't have the actual PCX5 file; just the printed out map and a list of the waypoint descriptions. Thanks for the input from all of you. I'd still like to see more about it before I buy but maybe I can spend some time doing a search here for that.

-Andrea

ChevyFam,

There is a lot of information on maps and garmin maps on www.keenpeople.com . We are constantly getting new information, downloads etc on maps. We also have a tutorial on how to create a custom map for mapsource. It's not paper maps but could help you in your search for more info. There is also a GPX to PCX5 converter software for getting waypoints from geocaching.com and EASY GPS into mapsource.

Hope this helps.

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

WPWU826

Cache'n Retrievers

crlogo.gif

quote:
Originally posted by spyder40:

Try Topofusion. It will do sat or topo maps from your tracks. Pretty slick package.

Checking into Topofusion. I downloaded it and laid some tracks from last weekend onto it. Very nice! And I can print out a JPG version of the map. The price is right on this one, too. Now I'm inclined to blow off my housework for the day & go exploring icon_wink.gif It is supposed to rain tomorrow anyway....