new GPS

Guest Bethand Scott

Guest Bethand Scott

I have just discovered the great fun of Geocaching through a chance encounter with some geocachers in North Carolina. I am looking for some good advice as to buying a good GPS unit. I would like to hear from experienced users about my options and what is recommended at each level of pricing!

mendations:

Magellan Map 330x or wait till the Meridians come out next month.

Or one of the top of the line etrexs Legend, Vistas.

Or if you listen to some, get an old Magellan 2000 on Ebay for 50 bucks, it'll get the job done as well. But hear me now and pay attention later, you'll soon be upgrading.

OK now sign the AZMark book of shame, have you bought more than 2 GPSR's in 2001?

Guest BX Tale

I agree with AZ, up to a point. I have a Garmin Venture for about 2-3 months now. I am ready to upgrade to a GPSmap 76. But I still love my venture, I can't see myself giving that up. But I also need(well want really) a unit with mapping. Now since I have found most of the caches near me it is time to venture out of the area so the mapping helps out alot. I would tell you not to really go out and buy the most expensive, but just plan ahead. See what you need and consider what you might need. I really would recommend a Legend or the gpsmap 76 even an Emap is good. It is really pretty well loaded. I made the mistake of not considering a mapping unit so now I am looking at one. When I first started I didn't want to get a plain jane unit so when I was shopping around I found my Venture for $25 more so that was why I went with it.

Anyway shop around check out Advancegps.com or even places like Bluelight.com or REIoutlet.com or 4x4books.com. Anyway goodluck and welcome.

[This message has been edited by BX Tale (edited 05 September 2001).]

Guest gstrong1

Welcome,Bethand Scott. The Garmin GPS MAP76 is a great unit with waas & the option of adding an external antenna if you think necessary.8 mb. of storage capacity aside from the basemap that is pre-loaded into the unit. Some great features & a nice display screen.If you want to spend a little less money, check out the Garmin III Plus. Only has 1.4 mb. of storage capacity, but is a great mapping unit that is one of the best I've used for geocaching under any adverse conditions that you might encounter. Superior antenna design allows for better satellite reception under real heavy tree cover. Garmin eTrex Vista is a feature packed compact unit that has 24 mb. of storage capacity with about all the bells & whistles you can get in a GPS.The Vistas patch antenna design might come up a little short under extreme conditions. I have all 3 units & although it lacks some of the features the others have, for caching I usually depend on the III Plus. But in their own rite, any one of them would be a wise choice. Never used any of the Magellan units, but they have a nice antenna design also & many cachers swear by them. Take the time to read up on these forums & check out the links to some of the technical web sites. A lot of good information here. Good luck.-Gimpy-

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY