256MB SD card is out!

Guest Harrkev

Guest Harrkev

WOW! 256MB MB SD card announced at CES by SanDisk.

Once Magellan finally fixes the bugs in their firmware, you will be able to store almost half of the entire nation on one of these little beauties. The expected street price will be around $199.

Within a year, I would not be surprised if a5 512 MB card was available for the same price. This would probably push 256 down to $120 or so.

A CD-ROM hold 650. In a year, you should be able to get 512MB SD. This would hold almost the entire country!!!!

Man... now I feel silly. My relatively new Pentium IV computer has only 128 megs of memory. Now my little GPS can hold twice that much.

I only have a 32 meg card right now, anyway. I think I'll get more computer memory before I get more GPS memory.

Does having vast amount of map info in the Meridians slow down the map scrolling any? Right now I'm only using the 16 meg base map and I notice it takes a second for the screen to come up if I scroll to a new area. Is this made slower by the addition of SD memory?

Jamie

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by JamieZ:

Does having vast amount of map info in the Meridians slow down the map scrolling any? Right now I'm only using the 16 meg base map and I notice it takes a second for the screen to come up if I scroll to a new area. Is this made slower by the addition of SD memory?

I haven't noticed it. Of course, the main slowing factor would probably be region size. Unfortunately, if they don't update the firmware and PC software, the 4-region limit will remain and hamper maximum size. On the other hand, now that we all know the NAV-GOTO-PWR 92 trick, a 256MB SD card would be fantastic. icon_smile.gif

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by JamieZ:

I haven't noticed it. Of course, the main slowing factor would probably be region size. Unfortunately, if they don't update the firmware and PC software, the 4-region limit will remain and hamper maximum size. On the other hand, now that we all know the NAV-GOTO-PWR 92 trick, a 256MB SD card would be fantastic. icon_smile.gif