76s vs. Meridian Gold or Platinum

Hi everyone. I'm planning on buying our first GPSr as soon as I get this all sorted out. I've been doing the research and I've narrowed it down to the Map 76S model from Garmin and the Magellan Meridian Gold or Platinum. I am kind of stuck trying to figure out the differences. From what I can tell - I've yet to actually speak to any human intelligently about GPS units - the difference in the gold and platinum models by Megellan is the electronic compass and a couple other bells. (and this is the difference in the 76 and 76s aside from more momory, right?)

For some reason, user reviews, instinct, I don't know what for sure, I'm leaning towards to Garmin. I must say though, the expandable SD memory on the Magellans is a very nice feature. I read the thread highly praising the 76S, quite informative. I'm ready to buy and very soon, its a graduation gift for my husband, coming up in just a few weeks. Yay!! So any info you guys could give me comparing the two (three) would be great and highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Erin

SpclAgentErinFBI@aol.com

Wow, thanks so much! I read all of them and do feel better about what to choose. I still haven't decided exactly yet. It seems that the differences are negligable. Screen size & resolution, laynard hole and memory, ect. I haven't seen any heated arguments about which *really* has the better reception or accuracy which leads me to believe they're probably similar. I think I still may be leaning toward the 76S but right now I'm just looking for a good deal. So I'll probably pick up the best Ebay bargian I can find between the 76 line and Meri Gold/Platinum.

Yes, I'm still wishy washy but feeling much better about it.

Chemturtles, your comparisons are noble, ones that I too have pondered for a long time...I was set on the 76s because of the ext. attenna option and I thought it just looked cooler. BUT since I will be using this for geocaching, I didn't think a hat with a ext. mounted attenna and a big stinkin cable running down my back would be the coolest...

I did look at all the posts I could find and tried to visit as many sites as possible. I decided on the magellan meridian platinum It does have a larger screen and the ability to add memory cards for additional maps if needed. Basically, It comes down to your what you like. You will drive yourself crazy and get in the middle of many good arguments about which unit is better...There are entire breeds of zelots for each manufactuer...So just decide what you are using it for and get the unit YOU like...

I purchased my magellan from OFFROUTE.COM They had competitive prices and great service. If I had purchased the 76s I would have got it from TVNAV.COM They absolutly have the best garmin prices and they were very helpful in answering my questions when I called them..

good luck!

For Geocaching.. Yep, it's worth it. The better antenna gets locks everywhere.. Under the roof of my car (no sunroof), I've had the accuracy reading down to about 27-35 feet. Even in HEAVY tree cover (I'm in the Blue Ridge Mountians..) about the worst accuracy I get (under heavy tree cover and on weak batteries) is around 45 feet.

Not having to use the stick for navication rocks, too...

quote:
Originally posted by the_wanderer:

Under the roof of my car (no sunroof), I've had the accuracy reading down to about 27-35 feet.

While driving w/ my 76S in the car I've seen the accuracy reading down to 11ft on several instances. Granted this was in S. Dakota, so flatness has it's virtures at times... icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by the_wanderer:

Under the roof of my car (no sunroof), I've had the accuracy reading down to about 27-35 feet.

While driving w/ my 76S in the car I've seen the accuracy reading down to 11ft on several instances. Granted this was in S. Dakota, so flatness has it's virtures at times... icon_wink.gif

Duh, you let out my secret, sometimes I think I could see the curvature of the earth if a tree or building was not in the way. But I test my unit in other places besides here.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by ChemTurtles:

...I'll probably pick up the best Ebay bargian I can find between the 76 line and Meri Gold/Platinum.

Yes, I'm still wishy washy but feeling much better about it.

Just made my decision this morning. Went with the Platinum. After reading and going through all of the "six vs. half-dozen" arguments here and in other threads, I liked the upgradable/swappable memory, and the price. I got a Platinum with MS Topo and a data card for $395, including 2 day shipping, from GPSdiscount.com. I'll keep my Venture as a backup, and use it to train the kids.

Thanks to all the posters here for their views.

I bought my 76S from freshtracksmaps.com for #377.95 a price I could not beat. Since receiving my 76S about 2 months ago I have yet to lose a signal in the bush. Last weekend I was in brush so thick I had to crawl and never lost a signal. I have not used my external antenna since getting this GPSr because I have'nt needed it. I am continually amazed by the 76S. One "must have" accessory is the case available through the GPS Store for around $14.00. Its great having the see-through plastic window plus the protection.

Great choice in going with the Meridian. I have the Meridian Platinum. When caching with my brother-in-law who had the 76s. I drove with the P on my knee the whole way and never lost fix. He had to hold the 76s to the window and it still was intermitant, and that was on a nice day with no trees close to the car. When we got on some back roads where the trees were a lot closer, he lot fix most of the time. When we got on a two track, trees very close and hanging over the road, he had to open the window and hold it out to get any fix. The meridian on my knee was still doing fine. When we stopped and got out and under tree cover, the 76s gave up. No fix whatsoever. My Meridian led me right to the cache. Yes, there were features on the 76s that I wish the Meridian had but when it comes right down to it, you want a unit that will get you to the cache.

I often wonder if signal strength varies from unit to unit with the same manufacturer. My 76S has been awesome. I can pull WAAS signals while sitting in my recliner in the living room with a vaulted ceiling. I have been under heavy cover (almost crawling) and never lost a signal. I have placed the 76S on the seat of my suburban and it has retained signal contact, so I wonder if performance fluctuates. Any thoughts? One question I have for you Meridian Platinum users; do you have a "hold level" message pop up when using the magnetic compass?

quote:
Originally posted by Growley:

One question I have for you Meridian Platinum users; do you have a "hold level" message pop up when using the magnetic compass?

The Meridian Platinum has a "3 axis" magnetic compass, so it knows the position of the unit and which way it should point. It's the coolest thing to stand there holding the unit at about 20 degrees off vertical and watch the compass spin as you turn. Calibration consists of spinning the unit around once, then flipping it over, and has to be done whenever you change the batteries.

Unfortunately, I had problems with my Platinum's compass, and could not get a consistent calibration. For instance, I could be dead-on west, 40 degrees off when pointing north, 20 degrees off pointing east, and 30 degrees off the other way pointing south. Magellan tech support talked me through a more extensive calibration procedure, but no luck. They thought that I had a "serious problem" and asked me to return the unit. I decided to go with a Gold when exchanging with my vendor.

-Craig/TeamCNJC

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took off through the thorns, chest high, ...