oO vista - mapsource Oo

Guest gr3gory

Guest gr3gory

hawkeye - i too just bought a vista. so far i'm thrilled with it. i'm looking for software that would give me more street detail for the East Coast. all of them start to blur together to me. there's roads and recreation, metroguide, worldmap etc. which one is the best over all for detailed street navigation. any information or insight that you could offer would be appreciated.

Guest Hawk-eye

Well thank you for the vote of confidence ... let's see ... first thing you need to do is update to the 2.15 download on the Garmin site ... big help on fixing several bugs ... mostly caused by version 2.13.

I use the Topo collection on the vista and on my 12Map ? mainly for geographical references ? the scale is so large that the accuracy is not what you would hope for and roads ? well more or less accurate ? mostly less ? will get you close ? I always have backup paper maps of the areas I search. I use Maptech series of USGS for that purpose.

The Metroguide series is a lot better for road navigation ? and the ?road lock? feature of the Vista will work with this one ? but again the accuracy of the roads is poor. For example, near where I live there are several ?missing? roads that have been in place for over 15 years! The roads and recreation series have the same problems. By the way, the road lock feature is nice ? but the map display does funky things as you?re driving in its effort to ?catch-up? to the refresh rate vs. delay vs. speed.

The price is a bit high on their mapping software to be that inaccurate ? but it?s better than nothing ? I was using the Metroguide for road navigation ? but really have just slipped back to using the topo to overlay any area I?m going Geocaching in.

The world map series ? wow ? that one is very weak ? at least in the countries in South America I go to on a regular basis. That one is definitely ?better than nothing? and way over priced. It can only be used as reference and in some cases ? 10 to 12 km off in some areas.

I hope this helps you ? if you want to discuss anything else ? email me at ralloh@hotmail.com. The little rubber bumper around the Vista makes it easy to prop on the dash of my Suzuki Grand V at the proper angle for viewing and antenna reception ? sure wish it had that magic plug for the external antenna