Connecting etrex venture to computer

Guest cache of the day

Guest cache of the day

I have been unable to download anything to my etrex venture. I know that my com1 and com2 work as I am able to connect cameras, etc and they work fine. I have the interface set to garmin. I have followed all instructions and still nothing. Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Darlene

Guest cache of the day

I was trying to download an update of the firmware, but the computer could not see the etrex.

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

What software are you using? If it's Garmin's, you shouldn't have a problem. EazyGPS? That's another story. confused.gif

Guest cache of the day

ything. I just bought it about a month ago and have never had any luck.

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

Have you been able to transfer anything else between the PC and the GPS in the past? It could be something as simple as a bad data cable.

Guest Harjantown

When I first got my Legend I had to make sure the cable was pushed tightly into the GPS(and I mean tightly). If I have trouble downloading at anytime, that seems to be the problem. Im not sure if others have the same problem as me or if its just my unit. Hope you resolve the problem soon.

Guest Geoffrey

If you want to connect the Etrex to the Computer, you should use the combo cable. It has both Data and power connectors on it, so you should have no problems. I dont like to transfer data between the GPS and computer without an external power source.

Guest cache of the day

Thanks for all of the help. It finally worked. I'm thinking is was a combination of full batteries and pushing on the connector while trying to connect to make sure that the contacts were touching.

Thanks to all.

quote:
Originally posted by Harjantown:

When I first got my Legend I had to make sure the cable was pushed tightly into the GPS(and I mean tightly). If I have trouble downloading at anytime, that seems to be the problem. Im not sure if others have the same problem as me or if its just my unit. Hope you resolve the problem soon.

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by cache of the day:

Thanks for all of the help. It finally worked. I'm thinking is was a combination of full batteries and pushing on the connector while trying to connect to make sure that the contacts were touching.

Thanks to all.

Ovbiously, you don't want to lose power in the middle of updating your OS, but if you've got enough juice to get a sat fix, you've got enough to communicate with your PC. Those of use who use rechargables routinely run one only 2.4v instead of the recommended 3v, without any problem. I would look at your data cable connection as the source of the problem.