ETrex Vista vs. Magellan Meridan Platinum?

elkhorn98

I think I have narrowed it down one of these 2 units. Vista is a little

cheaper with $50 rebate. I have used Garmins in the past but this is my first GPS unit.

The Meridan seems to have more features (expandable memory, Helix antenna,

alarms, better compass, better buttons). But I have never used a Magellan

product before. What topo maps are better? Garmin or Magellan? What

antenna is really better in wooded areas? I have read info saying the other

kind is better. I will use the unit for hiking, fishing, mapping,

geocaching, etc. Any comments would be appreciated.

I have a Magellan Sportrak Map which works great. My wife bought me an Etrex Vista for Valentines Day (ya she's great) so we tried it out on Saturday. We returned it on Sunday and ordered a Meridian Platinum. The reason we returned it is the Garmin could not hold a lock on the satellites to save its life. We were basically caching on top of a mountain nothing higher than us to block the view of the sky and trees with no leaves on them. With my Sportrak running right next to the Garmin it had strong lock on four or five satellites. The Garmin was having trouble locking onto one. Needless to say we turned it off and used the Sprtrak the rest of the day. I have been in heavy tree cover, terrible weather and have never lost a signal with the Magellan. Hope this helps I don't advocate either brand this is just what I experienced.

I have used both units. I currently own a Platinum. The vista has been around for a couple of years now. The Plat seems to have a faster processor, a larger compass, and an expandable memory. The vista has 24mg, nothing more, nothing less. But.... the mapsend topo(magellan)has everything needed in a gps. Streets, address search, topo lines, hiking trails, 2 tracks etc. The Garmin software (mapsource) is older as well. You can't get the same features as mapsend unless you buy several editions of software. Captclev, a member of the GanderGang, from lansing Michigan

quote:
Originally posted by IMLost:

"...The reason we returned it is the Garmin could not hold a lock on the satellites to save its life..."

A bit of an extreme statement, don't you think? It's a safe bet that there have been 'just a couple' of GeoCaches that have been successfully located using eTrex Vistas over the years ...something that couldn't have been possible if the unit "...could not hold a lock on the satellites to save its life...". I can't speak for the one you tried out (for a whole afternoon?), but my Vista is capable of obtaining sat locks when I'm sitting inside my house.

In what is really a 'Chevy vs. Ford' debate, there really is no single GPSr that can be singled out as the 'best' for GeoCaching. Every model has their strengths and weaknesses, and what works best for one user isn't necessarily the answer for another. Any of the GPSrs offered by the first tier manufacturers will 'get the job done' ...deciding which one to buy really boils down to establishing your needs/desires/budget, then doing your homework by becoming familiar with specific model specs and features.

ontario1.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

A bit of an extreme statement, don't you think?

I don't think so I was merly stating what our experience was with the unit. I am glad it works for you; the satellite gods must shine down upon you.icon_wink.gif I tried the unit the night before outside in my yard and in the car while doing some running around. I am not saying it never locked onto satellites it just kept loosing them which is something I have never experienced with my other CHEAPER unit. We tried the unit in the car trying to find the parking location and ended up having to fire up the Magellan to get to our location. I do think that we gave it fair trial. I did like the software interface, the size, and the features. What good is it to me if it can't reliably lock onto the satellites?

I have an Etrex Vista...because it had what I wanted at the time, and I didn't have other knowledge than what I have been around (Magellan 315) at work. We now have the Etrex vistas at work.

I went to the World (U.S.) and met up with a gal that had a Meridian. The benefit it has is the use of memory chips. If you are going to be traveling - those are the way to go (personal opinion) as you just slip in a new chip for each state / area you want to use. Otherwise you have to upload into the GPS everytime you move out of an area (Vista). The Meridian has a slighly larger display too.

I will stick with my Vista till it blows up or something, as I spent a pretty penny for it ($260) and it works good now. Depends on if you want convienance.

Erawan

Really the only negative of the Megellan is that the 16 mb of memory is NOT available to upload any maps it is for the basemap that comes with the unit. The vista has 24 mb that you CAN upload to. I am leaning toward a Magellan. I also like how if you upload maps you can choose the shape of the map to upload. For Garmin you have to select regions and most of the region may be of no interest to you. I like the buttons better on the Magellan and the expandable memory.

quote:
Originally posted by sbrady88:

Really the only negative of the Megellan is that the 16 mb of memory is NOT available to upload any maps it is for the basemap that comes with the unit. The vista has 24 mb that you CAN upload to. I am leaning toward a Magellan. I also like how if you upload maps you can choose the shape of the map to upload. For Garmin you have to select regions and most of the region may be of no interest to you. I like the buttons better on the Magellan and the expandable memory.

I have a Magellan MAP 330 and the MapSend Streets CD that came with what is known as the 330X package. (Package includes MAP 330, 3-suction-cup windshield mounting bracket, Power/Data cable [connecting this cable to the mounting braket makes the bracket into a handy data cradle], and the MapSend Streets CD (not to be confused with Streets & Destinations).

MapSend allows you to select various rectangular "Regions" yourself on the pc software, whereas Garmin's regions are fixed.

I wonder if this is because Garmin's purpose was to--from their perspective--elect for a "maximized use of memory per region," relative to the MapSource compression algorithm(s) used for their map compression.

Just thought I'd toss this out as a possibility in case anyone was interested.

Warm regards,

Firefishe

196939_600.gif

I have 2 Vistas and I have been very happy with them. I have read dozens of posts about them and my impression is that most Vista owners are very happy with their units. Some, including both of mine, have had hardware related problems, but Garmin customer support has been outstanding for me and most of the other posters I have read. Very few people can knowledgeably compare the performance of Garmin and Meridian units, nor can they compare the respective maps as they would have to own both and use both in comparable situations for a reasonable period of time.

Read about the features which do differ and decide what is important for you.

Here many miles east of Duvall, WA. and within the foothills of the Cascades, my Etrex Vista has maintained "lock" while I've been side slopping, mountain biking, on the way to a cache. After it initially SEES satellites, it appears to be rather agressive at maintaining "lock". I have also noticed that Garmin has been providing software updates at regular intervals. Since I have updated twice, I have noticed that the unit SEES satellites much more quickly now. I use TOPO, EasyGPS, and MapSource as my software applications.

Mike

Duvall, WA

jagla@cablespeed.com

quote:
Originally posted by sbrady88:

Really the only negative of the Megellan is that the 16 mb of memory is NOT available to upload any maps it is for the basemap that comes with the unit.

This is a very silly statement. The Meridain series has 0 capability to upload anything if you don't have an SD card, but if you do, all of the SD card is available. Isn't 128 mb enough? icon_wink.gif Not only that, but you can carry around multiple CD cards with you and swap them. That's the whole point. It's not a negative at all.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

When I started shopping for a new GPS, I had a Magellan Pioneer (my son used it), and I owned a GPS III. My primary reason for going for the Vista is size/features. I had the ability to simply upload/download waypoints to the III, but no maps, making it inadequate for my needs. It's size was also prohibitive when out in the rough caching.

Now that I have the windshield mount/power, I can't do without. I'm going to be working on a contraption that allows the Vista to 'mount' to my wrist that I can use while climbing.

Despite the intense brand loyalties, I'd say that the real answer is, "it depends". Both units have their strength's and weaknesses, and just how important they are depends on your individual preferences and needs.

Backpacking, hunting, backwoods camping, mountain climbing - the eTrex line is hard to beat. Light, durable, and good temp range.

Driving in a vehicle, Magellan has some real advantages. It is suited to one finger operation and the screen, though a lot lower in resolution, is physically a little bigger. BOTH have screens that are too small (IMO) to safely stare at in a car, but the Mag's is a little less so.

If you are going to spend most your time using your unit in a vehicle, expand your choices to include units with external ant. connecitons. Patch, quad helix, etc. debates notwithstanding, no built in ants. work that well inside SUVs or high wing airplanes.

If you are really into the mapping, SD cards on the Magellan's are hard to beat. Loading 24 megs via serial is undeniably tedious. Do keep in mind that neither unit offers mapping that can realistically replace printed maps for many people. The resolution is low (about 1:100000), and you're staring at a buisiness card sized screen no matter how you slice it.

If, like me, you've reached the bifocal stage in life, take a good hard look at the screens. I find the lower resolution screen of the Magellan madening at the distance I can read it (ever closer distances from my face), but I have a friend who is going to need longer arms soon who has trouble using the Vista screen.

Now, I'm sure you'll get testimonials disputing everything above ("I can get a solid lock in my SUV with my XXXX, on a comet outside the orbit of mars..."), but the bottom line is most purchasers are pretty happy with either unit. Pick the one you like, and enjoy...

-jjf

I'll leave the reception issue alone this time, but I find myself amazed at the stories of receivers that don't ever loose a lock. I regularly go on hikes where I can't get reception on any GPS unit for maybe 5 miles out of 10. Regarding processor speed, from what I've seen, I'd say the Vista processor is probably faster. On the map page you have to remember the Vista has almost twice the resolution, so when you compare them you have to set the diplays to be somewhat comperable detail wise.

Regarding TOPO maps, if you're looking to actually use it for backcountry navigational purposes, garmins TOPO is the only way to go. It's based on USGS 1:100,000 scale maps. Magellans TOPO uses a Digital elevation model that averages out elevation over a set area (I believe it's 90 meters) If you just look at the spacing of the contour lines, you'd think it too was in the neighborhood of 1:100,000 scale. Get it out and try to match up terrain with it though and you'll quickly find it's probably something more like 1:250,000 and full of errors at that. The road data is Tiger map data though, and thus more modern than the road data on Garmins TOPO. It has bigger positional errors however, thus for the roads it does have Garmins TOPO is generally more accurate. It varies with area, so there are no absolutes.

I've added sections on maps to my webpage if you care to see some comparisons

http://home.sprynet.com/~searching_ut/index.htm