Gps Question - Magellan 300

Guest wildboar

Guest wildboar

I have a question about my gps, hopefully someone can answer. My Magellan 300 only lists the WGS-84 coordinates to the nearest hundreth. (N 40 12.73 W 079 27.45) I notice that the coordinates listed for the caches is carried out to the thousandths (N 40 12.734 W 079 27.456) Is this going o be a problem for me? Does this mean I need a better GPS? Thanks so much for your help

The difference/effect could be about 13 (probably a little less) metres up to "maybe" 26 metres. 13 metres @ 95% is also the Signal-in-space accuracy of the system before some of the uncontrollable/unknown errors come into effect, however accuracy is generally (has been) a little better than 13m (normally a bit less than 10m) depending on ones location.

2 decimal minutes is a limitation but not a major set back when compared to the official accuracy of the system anyway. Some major GPS manufacturers/models (even today) still have that 2 decimal minute limitation.

Cheers, Kerry.

[This message has been edited by Kerry (edited 26 November 2001).]

Guest kablooey

I also have a Magellan 300, which I've used to find about 70 caches. This unit has trouble under trees, takes longer to get a signal lock, and is less accurate than the newer models, however it will still get you close enough to play the game. You might just have to search a little wider and longer than some of the others. For your first attempt, try one where you can get a good signal, like atop a mountain or in a wide-open field. My first attempt was a failure because I started in a narrow canyon with lots of trees.