Are the maps worth the bother?

jdege

I'm new to GPS, and I've seen the neato modern gadgets with the built-in maps, and I was wondering if they were worth the bother and extra expense.

The displays seem awfully limited - do the maps have sufficient detail for them to be of any real use?

I've spent enough time wandering through the woods that I can, in most terrain, track my location pretty precisely on a USGS topo map just with pace count and contour lines - with only an occassional confirmation with the compass. (Assuming, of course, that there actually is some terrain - on flat ground it's back to the compass.)

Can I do that with the topo maps included with the fancy GPS receivers?

No, the mapping built into Garmin and Magellan GPS receivers is no replacement for a printed USGS quad map. The view is too small and the resolution is too low (about 1:100,000 for topos).

I've found the street maps and base map a bit more useful, especially if you are trying to find a freeway or interstate in a strange city.

-jjf

I had the exact same question before I bought my Sportrak Pro and I wasn't sure until after I owned it for a week or so. Now, I think they are worth it.

They make is far easier to drive to the starting point of a cache. Once you are on the trail, though, it depends on where you are:

- If you're up on the mountains where you would have a topo anyway, you really need a printed map. I use the ones from Maptech and love them. I wouldn't be caught in the wilderness without a good topo and a compass :-)

- For local, short-hike caches where you would go on a quick walk and never think of taking a map, the maps in the GPS are great and more than adequate.

In short, I'm glad I have a mapping GPS.

I bought an Etrex Legend this week, along with a couple of the Mapsource CD-ROMs. I've uploaded 44 maps to fill the available 8MB of onboard memory. VERY SLICK!!!

Topo maps don't do much for you here in FL. The maps I have loaded show: bridges, wrecks, channel markers, etc. for fishing; structures, parks and waterways for when in the boonies; street level maps with exit numbers for traveling. Very easy to tell where I am based on the maps. The built-in base map was very basic, showing only major roads and channel markers.

The display IS small, no doubt. However, I bought the optional dash mount and have it mounted in front of my dash (rather than on it). Depending on how far I have it zoomed, it isn't too difficult to see much of what I need to while traveling.

A printed map is handy for getting "the big picture". Something hard to do with the limited size of the disply.

I feel that it was well worth the extra money for this feature and very glad I got it. If you are unsure, ask around locally if someone has a GPS with this feature so you can compare for yourself. FWIW, my coworker has a Garmin 176 chartplotter he uses on his boat and in his truck. Very nice, but big and expensive. He's so impressed with my Legend that he's now considering buying one of those too.

Robert

http://www.2manytoyz.com/

I have the MApSource software for my eMap and wish that I had gotten the software sooner! It doesn't replace a good topo map but it adds additional info (enough) so that I don't lug a map around while I'm in the field. Also, the software on the computer is great for looking at ideas before going into the field. I would recommend the mapping GPS and the map software!

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

I have the MApSource software for my eMap and wish that I had gotten the software sooner! It doesn't replace a good topo map but it adds additional info (enough) so that I don't lug a map around while I'm in the field. Also, the software on the computer is great for looking at ideas before going into the field. I would recommend the mapping GPS and the map software!

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

I use Mapsource Topo and R & R in my Vista all the time. Very handy on the computer at home too to mark waypoint, create routes and than see where you've been by uploading the tracks from the Vista to the computer.

Although the maps are small on the Vista screen, I've gotten pretty use to seeing where I'm going with it mounted on my dash when using R & R. In the field, with a paper quad, you can quickly spot yourself on the quad from the location shown in Topo on the Vista screen.

Frankly, in my opinion, there no point getting a mapping GPS if you don't get the mapping software from the mfr. so you better figure the cost into the equation when you're buying.

Alan

I use R&R for my Vista. After all it only takes one butt save to realize that $80 extra is not such a bad investment. They are not as accurate as real maps but they help. Now that Garmin has decreased the Vista's map page (zoom in and out) load time with version 2.28 waiting on maps to display no longer seems a complaint from my camp.

5399_600.jpg

LowlyWorm Says Gig 'em Aggies

I've never considered being without them. Having the Mapsource Topo maps loaded into my Garmins has saved me a lot of time & aggravation. On many cache hunts, where multiple trails come into play, Topo sometimes has the trails on the maps & make life a lot easier. It's also nice to be able to see when there's a river or lake/pond between my location & the cache location. I also have Maptech Terrain Navigator software,(great stuff), that allows me to print out 1:24,000 scale maps for the area,but I usually use that as reference when planning the hunt. I'm not one for heading into the woods carrying a lot of paperwork. And I'll head out on a lot of hunts without any real planning involved. With my Garmins loaded with maps & my Visor Prism loaded with the info with the nearest 200 caches(pocket query),planning isn't necessary. Sometimes, the hunts that are the most enjoyable, are the ones I do on the fly. A lot of folks complain about the quality of the maps, but I've been very happy with them. They're not the most up to date,but plenty good enough to make getting to the cache less time consuming.:cool:

"Gimpy"

I've never considered being without them. Having the Mapsource Topo maps loaded into my Garmins has saved me a lot of time & aggravation. On many cache hunts, where multiple trails come into play, Topo sometimes has the trails on the maps & make life a lot easier. It's also nice to be able to see when there's a river or lake/pond between my location & the cache location. I also have Maptech Terrain Navigator software,(great stuff), that allows me to print out 1:24,000 scale maps for the area,but I usually use that as reference when planning the hunt. I'm not one for heading into the woods carrying a lot of paperwork. And I'll head out on a lot of hunts without any real planning involved. With my Garmins loaded with maps & my Visor Prism loaded with the info with the nearest 200 caches(pocket query),planning isn't necessary. Sometimes, the hunts that are the most enjoyable, are the ones I do on the fly. A lot of folks complain about the quality of the maps, but I've been very happy with them. They're not the most up to date,but plenty good enough to make getting to the cache less time consuming.icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

I have a Merigreen and Mapsend topo. Topo goes to 20 ft elevation lines kust like the 1:24000 USGS mapes. I just finished a hike where it was really nice to be able to see my location in relation to the nearby dirt logging road. I also use it extensively on my computer to plan my assault on caches.

I use Mapsource Metroguide with my eMap in my car all the time and love it. I've used it find resturants, hotels, and shortcuts.

Plus if you're going to a place for first time and you have friends who are as bad at giving directions as mine are, it saves a lot of hassle:

("Are you sure we're supposed to go left here? The GPS says Elm street is one block to the right...." "Oh did I say left? I meant right.")

quote:
Originally posted by jdege:

I'm new to GPS, and I've seen the neato modern gadgets with the built-in maps, and I was wondering if they were worth the bother and extra expense.

The displays seem awfully limited - do the maps have sufficient detail for them to be of any real use?

I've spent enough time wandering through the woods that I can, in most terrain, track my location pretty precisely on a USGS topo map just with pace count and contour lines - with only an occassional confirmation with the compass. (Assuming, of course, that there actually _is_ some terrain - on flat ground it's back to the compass.)

Can I do that with the topo maps included with the fancy GPS receivers?

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

I use Mapsource Metroguide with my eMap in my car all the time and love it. I've used it find resturants, hotels, and shortcuts.

Metroguide was shown to me by my coworker. He uses it on his chartplotter which has gobs of memory. We started selecting maps with his software in a "simulated download" just to see what would fit in my legend. Metroguide has a wealth of information about local businesses, but that extra data eats up a lot of room compared to the R&R version of Mapsource. Same coverage for street names and details. As an example, the county I live in takes up over 2MB in Metroguide, only 544KB in R&R. Just food for thought when space is an issue.

A bad thing about the Metroguide series is not being able to limit the amount of data being downloaded. You can't tell it not to download business info, so you're stuck with the additional info, whether you need it or not. I think Delorme did a better job in this aspect. I had previously used Street Atlas to load maps into my PDA via Solus Pro software. Worked good, but more finiky than a dedicated GPS.

That being said, I really like the Etrex Legend with the R&R software. If you guys want restaurants showing up on your maps, just understand the memory will be filled quickly.

Robert

http://www.2manytoyz.com/