Magellan Pioneer gps

I am new to geocaching and using a gps. I have bought a used Magellan Pioneer gps.I know it is an older model and was trying it out at my house and it doesn't seem to be able to lock on 3 satelites. am I not waiting long enough or is there something else I need to do? does the time of day make any difference? I have the clock set to the right time on it. icon_confused.gif

Clarification: You weren't in your house were you? You'd be lucky to get any reception in your house. If you were outside and clear of obstructions, then nevermind....

icon_wink.gif

No I was outside on a clear evening plenty of sunshine and no trees or anything overhead. Maby I am just not waiting long enough, 10 minutes?

My first unit was a Pioneer, and it did take quite a while to get a lock on enough sats to start "tracking". I would suggest getting a power cable, and plugging it in and turning it on..just leave it in your car..about 1/2 hour before going caching. Once it's tracking it works pretty well, although it tends to loose the sats with some tree cover. Honestly, I think you should upgrade to either the Blazer12 or the 310. It's pretty much the same gps, but they have a 12 band reciever compared to the Pioneer's 2. (The 310 is an updated Blazer12 that has a data port).

Sorry about the bad news, but the Pioneer is just that...one of the first modern gps units. If you're patient, it'll work just fine, but I had mine about a week before I had to upgrade.

Hope this helps...

-pizzachef