Meridian owners... what do you use for a case?

Sportcat

I just got my Platinum and love it!!! But I need a case for it. Of course I want something I can put on my belt, put spare batteries in, and possibly the car power cable. The Magellan case just doesn't appeal to me.

What do y'all use?

Anyone seen "The Ultimate GPS Case?" http://www.thegpsstore.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/site/GS5500.htm?L+thegpsstore+jxvf4289+1032307929

Thanks all!

I was going to suggest the meridian case until you said it didn't appeal to you and after checking your link I would suggest going to a camera store with your GPS and looking at small camera cases. I think you would find something that suits your needs perfectly that way. Lowepro makes some nice cases along with Tamrac. I myself have a Lowrance GlobalMap 100 and I have been using the case that I bought with it forever now and it works great eventhough there is no room for anything other than the GPSr.

Good luck in your search.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I bought the Magellan case and it works fine. Nothing special, just a simple padded case with a belt loop. My unit keeps the lock on the sats just fine while tucked in the case. You can fit at least 4 spare AA batteries in the bottom of the pouch, but there is no special compartment for them.

The link you gave looks nice...not much more $$ then the plain Magellan case. Would be curious to hear from someone who has one of those.

My question would be, has anyone figured out a lanyard for the Meridian series yet? Short of the threaded hole for the cable connection, I dont see any way to attach a secure cord to this unit.

I've been looking for a good case for my Meridian, too. I looked at the Magellan case, but I don't seem to care for it much... but soon I have to have something. Right now, I've just been carrying the thing around in my hand, and that is getting old.

I'd like a belt clip/loop (clip would be preferred, since I rarely wear belts), easy ingress/egress, and satellite lock while cased.

Does the Magellan case offer these features? If not, are there any that do?

Jamie

I searched the department stores and outdoor shops for a while for something suitable.

A friend has the Magellen case and it didn't appeal to me either, I used a digital camera case to start with but wanted something more compact. I ended up with a "Phone Case - L" from Jack Wolfskin. http://www.wolfskin.de/eng/index_l.html#

Search for 86492-600 in the products section.

The GPS fits as do spare batteries in the front net. (It has a pen holder too, good if there is no pen in the cache!)

The only problem I have with it is that the belt clip is a bit naff, but I am looking at sorting that somehow.

The thing that gives the wolfskin pack an advantage is that the zip goes round part of the side, not just the top, this makes it easier to get in and out, most other small cases I found just had a top opening and although the specifications stated that it was big enough for the meridian it just wouldn't go in.

Hope you find something suitable.

I use a Lowepro camera case about the size of a six pack cooler. It holds my GPS, Pentax PZ-1, compass and other items as needed. I have even gotten a small water bottle in it for longer hikes. It has TWO mesh pockets on the outside that hold the gps well and keep it handy to me. I also have not had the unit power off while in these mesh holders.

The other item I use is a sturdy plasic zipper bag that is part of a luggage packing system. It has a connector that I use to attach it to a belt loop or other clothing piece.

I have the Ultimate GPS case (came with my Meridian) but I have only used it a few times. The GPS is either in my hands or tucked in a pocket of my backpack.

For the Jeep, I have the Magellan suction-cup mount stuck to the windshield. Works great.

For the bike, I have the Magellan bike mount. Works pretty good, except it is prone to occaisional movement. Won't fall off the bike, but the angle might change a bit.

For the kayaks, I have a RAM Meridian Mount and LOVE it. My initial attempt to use the adhesive pad for mounting failed after a few weeks and a lot of water in the cup-holder where it was stuck. Now I need to pop-rivet it to the kayak body. Really nice mount, though.

Scott,

This case? Looks kinda odd to me, like it doesn't quite fit.

There's a window on there? Is it over the buttons, too? How do the arrow buttons work through this window?

This might be the case I'm looking for, but I'd like an opinion or two on its actual usefulness. Anyone else have one of these?

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by dtrayers:

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11011297&m=82&cat=634&scat=635 is a link to a similar one. I like the pouch for extra batteries. It's stiff enough so the ON/OFF button isn't depressed and I can keep it over my shoulder and it keeps a lock just fine.

I checked this one out too, but the Meridian is 6.5" high, and this case is only 5.5" high. Does it still fit?

Well, the case shown in the link is similar to the one I have. Mine doesn't have the buckle, and it must be taller, as my Meridian just comes to the top of the case. I added the link to give you the idea.

The one I have is made by Samsonite. I have also seen it at Target and Circuit City stores.

FWIW...

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Scott,

http://www.thegpsstore.com/site/images/BE300.jpg case? Looks kinda odd to me, like it doesn't quite fit.

There's a _window_ on there? Is it over the buttons, too? How do the arrow buttons work through this window?

This might be the case I'm looking for, but I'd like an opinion or two on its actual usefulness. Anyone else have one of these?

Jamie

Does this sucker work???

quote:
Originally posted by drewreger:

The GPS Store offers a custom case made for the entire meridian series. It is made of black neoprene and has a clear front window and a swivel belt clip on it.

It sells for $14.99

Our website is http://www.thegpsstore.com

(look under the meridian details in the handheld GPS section)

"Our" website? Hmmm...

Anyway, that's the case we were discussing, but several of us (well... two) were looking for opinions of the case. Is it worth it? Is it hard to push the buttons through the screen? Does it have a place for a lanyard?

Jamie

Yes, they work great. No problems pushing the buttons thru the plastic cover. No lanyard though.. that would be nice.

Buy it! I did.

Scott

quote:

quote:

The GPS Store offers a custom case made for the entire meridian series. It is made of black neoprene and has a clear front window and a swivel belt clip on it.

It sells for $14.99

"Our" website? Hmmm...

Anyway, that's the case we were discussing, but several of us (well... two) were looking for opinions of the case. Is it worth it? Is it hard to push the buttons through the screen? Does it have a place for a lanyard?

Jamie

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.

From what I have heard on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Magellan_Meridian This case seems to be a good case for the most part. The one problem I have heard about is that the plastic cover over the buttons can be a pain, and cause the unit to turn.

The fix they suggested was to cut the plastic out around the button area.

quote:

It sells for $14.99

quote:

"Our" website? Hmmm...

Jamie

Considering that the case is only $ 15 .... this discussion is really getting in depth as to the value of it. I personally would not cut any holes in the plastic. This would defeat the waterproofing nature of the clear plastic cover and weaken the case leading to its early demise in the lifecycle. If it dosn't work as designed, return it to the store where you bought you bought it for a refund.

I like mine and use it all the time without any problems.

quote:
Originally posted by Zahrim:

From what I have heard on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Magellan_Meridian This case seems to be a good case for the most part. The one problem I have heard about is that the plastic cover over the buttons can be a pain, and cause the unit to turn.

The fix they suggested was to cut the plastic out around the button area.

quote:

It sells for $14.99

quote:

"Our" website? Hmmm...

Jamie

Me and the mrs. went to Best Buy last night and checked out the camera cases. I finally went with the Lowepro v20. It says its inside height is 5.5", but my Platinum fit very snuggly inside. No bouncing or shifting around.

It has a fixed beltloop, shoulder strap, outside pouch, zipper closure (no velcro to pop open and your GPS falls out), and water resistant.

How much for this wonder of nature? $100? $50? $25? Nope, got it for the low, low price of $9.99!

Hmmm, if the buttons are hard to push, maybe my dang GPS won't turn off by itself if I happen to hold it the wrong way. icon_mad.gif

Waterproof? Isn't that redundant? Ok, I understand the concept of placing a waterproof object inside something else waterproof for even more protection (kinda like rubbermaid containers inside plastic bags icon_wink.gif ) but is the case itself waterproof, or do you mean to say that the case simply makes it more difficult for the water to get in around the buttons?

My last question regarding the neoprene case is this. How easy is it to remove the GPS from the case? I often use my Meridian in my bicycle mount, or in my vehicle mount. I'm guessing that while in the case, it won't fit in the mount, so I'd have to remove it. Is that a simple procedure?

Jamie

Hmmm, if the buttons are hard to push, maybe my dang GPS won't turn off by itself if I happen to hold it the wrong way. icon_mad.gif

Waterproof? Isn't that redundant? Ok, I understand the concept of placing a waterproof object inside something else waterproof for even more protection (kinda like rubbermaid containers inside plastic bags icon_wink.gif ) but is the case itself waterproof, or do you mean to say that the case simply makes it more difficult for the water to get in around the buttons?

My last question regarding the neoprene case is this. How easy is it to remove the GPS from the case? I often use my Meridian in my bicycle mount, or in my vehicle mount. I'm guessing that while in the case, it won't fit in the mount, so I'd have to remove it. Is that a simple procedure?

Jamie

Just curious...are you an engineering student in college? Way too detailed orientated and tight with the $ 15 (I have a brother like that).

;-)

Neoprane = water resistant

Clear Plastic Cover = waterproof in that area

Redundant = Yes. The Meridian is supposedly waterproof already.

Open/Close = Velcroe - Zip and Rip

Fit = Tight

Bike = Yes, you must remove from case.

Cake = Have it all and eat it too.

Mad = Don't get mad, get Glad.

quote:

Jamie

Just curious...are you an engineering student in college? Way too detailed orientated and tight with the $ 15 (I have a brother like that).

;-)

Neoprane = water resistant

Clear Plastic Cover = waterproof in that area

Redundant = Yes. The Meridian is supposedly waterproof already.

Open/Close = Velcroe - Zip and Rip

Fit = Tight

Bike = Yes, you must remove from case.

Cake = Have it all and eat it too.

Mad = Don't get mad, get Glad.

quote:

Jamie

Ok Scott, just for you, I'll probably go and buy the thing. Thanks for all the help.

I never considered my "engineering" side to determine my purchasing habits. Moreso, I feel its my desire to not own crap. I prefer to spend a few extra bucks to get something that I like and want, rather than taking the cheap route and ending up with something I don't use anyway.

There are far too many products out there aimed at impulse buyers. Poor quality, poor design (knock, knock, engineering) with a cheap price. That equation sells, unfortunately, and Walmart is the king of those products.

Jamie

Ok, it only took me 7.5 months to make up my mind, but I just ordered the neoprene case from the GPS Store.

I figured I needed something to put my GPS in while I was in Costa Rica. Now I won't be afraid to just dump it off into my daypack with all my other stuff, and I can clip it to my waistband or shoulder strap if I want.

Jamie

Hey.. what's the deal with this thread.. it has some repeated messages. Weird.

Well, I guess I'm a little late on this one, but I'll put in my say anyways.

I have the Ultimate GPS Case from thegpsstore. Meridian Platinum fits great in it, has pockets for batteries (or I guess you could put the cable or something in there,) my cellphone fits well in the mesh pocket in front too. Which means fewer things clipped to my belt, which I like. Also holds a small mag light perfectly. One feature I liked on this one was the "raincoat" it has built in, makes me not worry about having my cellphone and batteries in it.

And for JamieZ, it's very quick and easy to get the GPS out of the case. And I've never had it lose satellite lock while in the case.

Hope that helps someone!

I use the stock Meridian case from Magellan. I just wanted to add that my platinum came with a lanyard that screws into the back. I assume the lanyard came from Magellan but I bought it online from The Digital Pavilion. It came with a package deal consisting of the Platinum, Magellan Case, Mapsend Topo, Lanyard, Data Cable, and 4 NIMH rechargeable batteries with charger all for $275 after $75 rebate. Found it on Ebay.

I found a GREAT Targus case, model DCRC01, at Fry's Elecronics, easy-open velcro top (no zippers to scratch the screen on the way in/out of the case), extra zippered pouch on the outside for batts, and the Platinum sits in a way that the power button doesn't even get touched. Still receives signals while in the case. D-rings on the sides for a strap. Elastic pouch on one side of the case, for mini-mag, etc... Big oversized velcro belt loop in the back, quick on and off and great for military belts. $10. Couldn't be happier.

This was just on the Meridian Group this past week. They look real slick for a GPS holder, and a ditty stash. I haven't purchased one yet, so I can't give a frank opinion...

Just got my Nite Ize holster from The HolsterGuy.com yesterday. Guys and gals this holster is the berries. If you don't already have a belt clip or holster for your Meridian you owe it to yourself to check this one out. Heres the URL for you to go look at it. Be sure and watch the video of usage of the holster.

NiteIze.com

Oh, one more thing if you do buy one of these make sure to get the large one. The Meridian is such a big GPS I doubt it would fit properly into anything other than the large model. BTW large isn't as big as it sounds. I can wear this holster while driving and never even notice I have it on.

I'd been working on finding a Batman utility belt and I think I pretty much have. At Target for $14 I got the H2O Marathonfannypack. It has enough room for the Meridian, cell phone, camera, maps, batteries and misc items without being a huge backpack and also carries two waterbottles.

I'll let ya'll know how it works out on our adventures.

Team Kender - Willow and Dan exploring the Bay Area backroads!

I've got this case and while the clear cover makes the buttons somewhat harder to manipulate, the screen somewhat harder to read, it's great for when you back country adventures could cause harm to your precious unit - rock climbing, canyoneering, etc., or if it's likely to get knocked about in your backpack or whatever.

Also, and more importantly, I just recieved the Nite Ize holser from theholsterguy.com and have to say - This thing is killer! I totally recomend it for anyone and everyone (even if you don't own a GPS)! Somebody definately put some thought into a well designed and engineered case, made of good, sturdy material. I'm impressed.

And I'm even more impressed by the service at theholsterguy.com! I made the order Sunday evening, within the hour recieved an email to confirm the order, w/ tracking number. And it just came in today - from WA to NC in three days. These guys rule icon_biggrin.gif

-a very happy eremite

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." -Galileo Galilei.

"The indoor life is the next best thing to premature burial." -Edward Abbey