Mapsource Question

Elroy

I originally installed the Mapsource software using the CD's, but have recently copied the CD's to the hard drive. Is there a way I can get Mapsource to recognize that the CD's are on the hard drive when it looks for maps? I'm getting tired of putting the CD's in everytime. TIA

There are two ways to fix this. The easiest if you have already copied all the Mapsource files to your hard drive is to just rerun the installation from your hard drive. This will set all the setting properly. The other is to go into registry. Local machine, software, garmin, mapsource, products, installdir and then change the directory listed there from your cd drive to your harddrive directory.

Bruce

Hi,

After you get it working, I would be interested in knowing whether you believe anything works better running it directly from the HD. I can imagine there will be a boost of some kind, but am having a hard time seeing where it would make much of a real difference in terms of performance. The thought did occur to me that your reason for installing the CD on your computer's HD is so you can access some other non-Mapsource CD the CD-ROM bay while you are running Mapsource software.

I have multiple Mapsource CD'ROM on my hard drive - Topo, R+R and Metro. This allows me to easily switch the map displayed from Topo, to STreets, etc. Also, it allows me do open multiple mapsourse programs so that I can display more than one map at the same time.

All of these procedures cannot be done if you're using the CD-ROM drive.

The only problem is it eats up a lots of hard drive space but if you have the space, it's worth dum[ping the data onto it.

Alan

I've got Mapsource Topo, Roads & Recreation, Metroguide 3.0, Metroguide 4.01, City Select 4.0 & City Select 4.01 all loaded on the HD. Have not touched a Mapsouurce CD in months. A click of the mouse, & I can view a map section from any one of the sources. Saves an amazing amount of time. icon_smile.gif

"Gimpy"

I am getting ready to install Topo on the HD.

The question I have is do I dump the contents of the three cd's into one directory or three or two if I do not want the Alaska/ Hawaii cd?

I've also seen the following method described here: MapSource on HD Link

From Tres Okies: "Create a folder on a hard drive with lots of space. Call it MapSource or Garmin or whatever.

For each different MapSource product, create another folder and perhaps give it the name of the product (such as European RandR or MetroGuide USA).

Copy each CD, in it's entirety, into separate directories named "Disk1", "Disk2", etc.

Example:

C:Garmin

C:GarminMetroguideDisk1

C:GarminMetroguideDisk2

C:GarminUSATopoDisk1

C:GarminUSATopoDisk2

C:GarminUSATopoDisk3

C:GarminCanadaRRDisk1

C:GarminEuropeRRDisk1

Run the setup.exe program from the folder named "Disk1" and allow it to do a "full" install. Do this for each different MapSource product.

Apply the latest MapSource updates from Garmin."

If I do it this way (above) will Mapsource automatically find the content from each of the "disk1, disk2, etc" directories or will I still have to tell it to switch from East to West, etc?

Anyway, the more I type the more confusing I think I am making this. Perhaps I should just follow TresOkies instructions and see what happens?

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."49061_400.gif

FWIW, here's the response I received from Garmin:

-------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting GARMIN.

As you know, TOPO does not support full install directly...but I have had

some success following these steps as a work-around:

1. Uninstall MapSource from the Add/Remove in the Control Panel.

2. Shutdown the computer for 30 seconds or longer.

3. Copy entire contents of CD-ROM(s) to the hard drive.

4. Take out CD-ROM from computer.

5. Run the Setup.exe from the new folder.

7. Run MapSource.

Thank you again for your interest in GARMIN GPS.

-------------------------------------------------

I copied mine into separate folders caled Street and Recreation and another called Topo just to differentiate it but I believe you can copy all the CD's into one folder. Metroguide copies automaticall into the hard drive by region. Don't know about City Select and the others.

Alan

Here's what I did:

Copied each cd's contents to:

C:GarminMapsourceUSATopo

(the name doesn't matter, it's just where i chose to put the cd's)

This created the sub-directories....

C:GarminMapsourceUSATopoEast

C:GarminMapsourceUSATopoWest

C:GarminMapsourceUSATopoHawaii

C:GarminMapsourceUSATopoAL

It also dumped a several files (such as setup.exe) into the directory:

C:GarminMapsourceUSATopo

Then I ran the setup.exe program from the folder named "USATopo" and allow it to do a "full" install.

It worked perfectly, loads increadibly fast, no more waiting for map data or switching cd's.

Do this for each different MapSource product.

Apply the latest MapSource updates from Garmin.

Good Luck to all....

quote:
Originally posted by Elroy:

I originally installed the Mapsource software using the CD's, but have recently copied the CD's to the hard drive. Is there a way I can get Mapsource to recognize that the CD's are on the hard drive when it looks for maps? I'm getting tired of putting the CD's in everytime. TIA

Upgrade to the latest version of Mapsource (download free from Garmin site). Go to Edit/Preferences and click on the File Location tab.

3608_1400.gif