Compare: MapSource R&R vs. MetroGuide

Guest dorough

Guest dorough

I just got a Garmin eTrex Legend. I'm planning some interstate trips & I'd like to be able to navigate to street addresses. I also hunt a lot & want to be able to see all the little country roads on my screen. Any idea which software I need? Better yet, exactly what are the differences between these two programs?

Bob

Guest kbraband

1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:

Originally posted by dorough:

I just got a Garmin eTrex Legend. I'm planning some interstate trips & I'd like to be able to navigate to street addresses. I also hunt a lot & want to be able to see all the little country roads on my screen. Any idea which software I need? Better yet, exactly what are the differences between these two programs?

Bob

MetroGuide will show you the location of specific street addresses. I'm not an expert, but here's what I notice to be the differences: Each MetroGuide map area that you can load into your GPS covers a larger area and takes up much more memory than the maps in R&R. My eMap has only 8 MB of memory so if I load one MetroGuide map for my area, that's about all I can load. However, since the R&R maps are smaller, it gives me the freedom to pick and choose which counties I want to load -- all the counties in this area, plus some in a non-adjacent area that I visit frequently. R&R shows all the streets and backroads, but it doesn't show you specific street addresses nor other places of interest such as specific businesses. For example, you can look up the nearest ATM for a specific bank using MetroGuide maps, but you can't do that with R&R maps. For geocaching, R&R maps work great because they show you the nearest roads to get to the cache coordinates.

Guest dorough

That's good information... just what I needed to know. I would also like to know if the urban street maps are the same on the two programs. In others words, in a city, would one show more streets than another? I'm tending to believe that the basemaps for these two programs are the same, but the points of interest are eliminated from the R&R.

Also, I get the idea that MetroGuide allows you to plot your route on your computer then transfer the route & waypoints to the GPS. Can you do this with R&R?

[This message has been edited by dorough (edited 18 October 2001).]