different gps but....

ehhh, so what. It's a topic nonetheless. So, what is this topic about anyway? Yellow Etrex? I have a III+ but it's not yellow. I have a shirt that's yellow but it's not a GPSr. Nothing like a topic that's not about anything in particular.

How about we just see where this topic(?) takes us. Climb aboard..........

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

Well..

Tonight as I was riding/driving in a friends older model Corvette (along with my GPS, of course) I noticed, and then commented, that the car's speedometer was off by quite a bit.

The speedometers of the car and GPS were different by about 10%, reading more than 70 when the GPS told me I was moving at a legal 65 mph.

When I told her this, she said that my GPS must be wrong because she'd verified the Corvette's speedometer alongside a new vehicle just a few days ago.

I tried for a moment to explain to her that billions (maybe it's just hundreds of millions) of dollars of equipment were being used to determine our speed in her sports car, and I had the resulting data right in front of me, but then I gave it up. There's no use in arguing with women.

She did like that my GPS could tell us when we passed a hundred miles per hour, since the (obviously icon_rolleyes.gif more accurate) car speedometer had the government regulated 85-mph speedo in it.

Jamie

Well..

Tonight as I was riding/driving in a friends older model Corvette (along with my GPS, of course) I noticed, and then commented, that the car's speedometer was off by quite a bit.

The speedometers of the car and GPS were different by about 10%, reading more than 70 when the GPS told me I was moving at a legal 65 mph.

When I told her this, she said that my GPS must be wrong because she'd verified the Corvette's speedometer alongside a new vehicle just a few days ago.

I tried for a moment to explain to her that billions (maybe it's just hundreds of millions) of dollars of equipment were being used to determine our speed in her sports car, and I had the resulting data right in front of me, but then I gave it up. There's no use in arguing with women.

She did like that my GPS could tell us when we passed a hundred miles per hour, since the (obviously icon_rolleyes.gif more accurate) car speedometer had the government regulated 85-mph speedo in it.

Jamie

Criminal is right. So what if you didn't want to start a new topic. Let's see..."different gps but..."

OK. How's this?

MY Vista is not yellow but it's a Garmin like yours. And the mileage is right on too just like your etrex. Must be because it's a Garmin. Cannot imagine Magellan and those other guys are as accurate when it comes to MPH!

(now watch what happens) icon_wink.gif

alan

Criminal is right. So what if you didn't want to start a new topic. Let's see..."different gps but..."

OK. How's this?

MY Vista is not yellow but it's a Garmin like yours. And the mileage is right on too just like your etrex. Must be because it's a Garmin. Cannot imagine Magellan and those other guys are as accurate when it comes to MPH!

(now watch what happens) icon_wink.gif

alan

Ok, here’s a question for our non-topic thread. If a major league pitcher throws a yellow e-trex at 95 MPH into a ten knot headwind, what will catcher see as the speed? Given that one knot is one nautical mile per hour and a nautical mile is 6076 feet (not to be confused with a statute mile at 5280 feet).

Also, if that same pitcher uses a machete to chop said yellow e-trex into twenty-seven pieces and scatters them around a well hidden cache placed in an ecologically careless manner in a delicate forest while simultaneously eating red meat from a freshly stomped squirrel under the power lines, how will the “distance to next” readout be changed?

icon_eek.gif

[This message was edited by Criminal on June 26, 2002 at 10:56 AM.]

Ok, here’s a question for our non-topic thread. If a major league pitcher throws a yellow e-trex at 95 MPH into a ten knot headwind, what will catcher see as the speed? Given that one knot is one nautical mile per hour and a nautical mile is 6076 feet (not to be confused with a statute mile at 5280 feet).

Also, if that same pitcher uses a machete to chop said yellow e-trex into twenty-seven pieces and scatters them around a well hidden cache placed in an ecologically careless manner in a delicate forest while simultaneously eating red meat from a freshly stomped squirrel under the power lines, how will the “distance to next” readout be changed?

icon_eek.gif

[This message was edited by Criminal on June 26, 2002 at 10:56 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Also, if that same pitcher uses a machete to chop said yellow e-trex into twenty-seven pieces and scatters them around a well hidden cache placed in an ecologically careless manner in a delicate forest while simultaneously eating red meat from a freshly stomped squirrel under the power lines, how will the “distance to next” readout be affected?

icon_eek.gif

So HERE's where you are! What the heck are you doin' in this forum. I mean, NOBODY who is anybody posts here, far too gosh!

But to answer your questions:

1.) 42

2.) Affection for a Yellow e-trex has nothing to do with it. I have know many persons who get affectionate with their GPSs (that's why they are "hand-held" units!) However, I digress, to be truly affectionate with your GPS requires certain lubricants... but that is another thread altogether...

P.S. My "distance to next" always reads: "Close to you, baby!"

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:

Also, if that same pitcher uses a machete to chop said yellow e-trex into twenty-seven pieces and scatters them around a well hidden cache placed in an ecologically careless manner in a delicate forest while simultaneously eating red meat from a freshly stomped squirrel under the power lines, how will the “distance to next” readout be affected?

icon_eek.gif

So HERE's where you are! What the heck are you doin' in this forum. I mean, NOBODY who is anybody posts here, far too gosh!

But to answer your questions:

1.) 42

2.) Affection for a Yellow e-trex has nothing to do with it. I have know many persons who get affectionate with their GPSs (that's why they are "hand-held" units!) However, I digress, to be truly affectionate with your GPS requires certain lubricants... but that is another thread altogether...

P.S. My "distance to next" always reads: "Close to you, baby!"

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

oops, slipped in an a when I meant e.

Nonetheless, your answer to Q1 is incorrect (or "wrong"). icon_eek.gif

quote:

Strange, I thought that was the universal correct answer to all questions... Humm, let me get my towel and reconsult the Guide...

--majicman

quote:

Strange, I thought that was the universal correct answer to all questions... Humm, let me get my towel and reconsult the Guide...

--majicman

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

quote:

--majicman

FORGET THE GUIDE! WAVE YOUR TOWEL! IT'S THE VOGON DESTRUCTOR SHIPS! THEY'VE COME FOR YOUR GPS!!! icon_eek.gif

196939_600.gif

quote:

quote:

--majicman

FORGET THE GUIDE! WAVE YOUR TOWEL! IT'S THE VOGON DESTRUCTOR SHIPS! THEY'VE COME FOR YOUR GPS!!! icon_eek.gif

196939_600.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Firefishe:

quote:

quote:

--majicman

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/migo/

Yes, “42” is "The answer to life the univerce and everything."

quote:
Originally posted by Firefishe:

quote:

quote:

--majicman

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/migo/

Yes, “42” is "The answer to life the univerce and everything."

Well, I'd like to say that we've gotten off the topic, but since there really is no topic I'll not. The answer to Q1 is zero. If the catcher is reading it, that means he's caught it and it has stopped. Being that it's a Garmin product it's still working.

OK, here’s another. To make it more difficult, I’ve written it in ebonics.

Iffin yo *** be wakin in de forest wit yo travel on, an yo be peepin fo de cache wit yo fancy-pants garmin vee, an yo has locked up on fo or five o-dem satellite thingys, can yo be inputtin by manual ovahride de altitude iffin yo *** has 3D nav? (I be knowin dat it can be done in the III+ only iffin yo *** is in 2D. so den iz the vee the same?) and iffin yo be peepin de cache by backhoe in apocoliptic fashion in de national forest, will de smokey bear point hiss bigass bear paw at yo an say “only yo can be preventin de forest fire and destrucshum” or will he juss jump yo hide an whoop yo in “natural” fashum likes they do in de forest?

quote:

Well, I'd like to say that we've gotten off the topic, but since there really is no topic I'll not. (snip) OK, here’s another. To make it more difficult, I’ve written it in ebonics.

Iffin yo *** be wakin in de forest wit yo travel on, an yo be peepin fo de cache wit yo fancy-pants garmin vee, an yo has locked up on fo or five o-dem satellite thingys, can yo be inputtin by manual ovahride de altitude iffin yo *** has 3D nav? (I be knowin dat it can be done in the III+ only iffin yo *** is in 2D. so den iz the vee the same?) and iffin yo be peepin de cache by backhoe in apocoliptic fashion in de national forest, will de smokey bear point hiss bigass bear paw at yo an say “only yo can be preventin de forest fire and destrucshum” or will he juss jump yo hide an whoop yo in “natural” fashum likes they do in de forest?

I would have to answer:

Du können Sie nicht Hackekartoffeln und Scheiße gleichzeitig.

--majicman

quote:
Originally posted by Isopropyl:

quote:

I would have to answer:

Du können Sie nicht Hackekartoffeln und Scheiße gleichzeitig.

Jene Netzseiten erledigen nie eine gute Arbeit der Übersetzung.

Ja weiß ich

--majicman

Originally posted by irresisti:

Ich denke dieses erhalte Weise weg vom Thema QUOTE]

Sie sind korrekt. Ich bin traurig (auf Deutsch.)

(earsphlittinloudenboomer!)

--majicman