Where is the Cheapest Place to buy Garmin Software?

Where is the cheapest place to buy the Garmin Map Software (how recently have the maps been updates on the software?) and cables. Also trying to decide which map CD. I've been told the Topo map software also provides side roads. I am interested in software that shows side roads not shown on state maps. I need something that provides sideroads, so that I can get to Geocache site in unfamiliar areas and states such as PA who don't seem to sell the comprehensive red county map books that they do in Ohio-I don't have any particular need for metroguides-city streets. Thanks.

I'd suggest you use the MapViewer at Garmin's website: http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/ to check out the various map options in an area with which you're familiar. The Topo maps are based on the USGS 1:100,000 series and show the roads that appear on these maps. They're pretty complete but very dated, so newer secondary roads do not appear. I've usually found MetroGuide to have the best coverage of secondary roads but beware that some of the roads shown, especially those indicated as unpaved, are not actually available for public use with motor vehicles (i.e. they're private, fire roads, trails, etc.).

Again, check out some areas you know before deciding - the best product may differ depending on where you are and what features you need to see.

I've found www.tvnav.com to be a good source for Garmin GPS rcvrs. and accessories, incl. maps. Darrel is knowledgeble on what he sells and stands behind it.

I would second everything Peter said. Check out Garmin's web sight and make sure you know what software you want. If you have question latter feel free to ask.

As for tvnav. I have been extremely happy with their service and there price are very good.

Later

mcb

gpsyote.jpg

GPS-Yote

With the exception of City Select which came with my GPSV, I purchased ALL my mapsource CDs off of Ebay.

There are several dealers who sell new (in the box/shrinkwrapped) mapsource CDs well below retail.

I picked up Metro Guide (the new routable version) for 75 bucks. Roads and Recreation for 60 and Topos for 80.

Just don't be shy about asking the seller questions (such as the version number for Metro Guide).