road lock??

jjv1969

I've usually seen the feature you're looking for described as "rubber-banding" i.e. having the route line follow all the turns in the roads and showing the actual travel distance. It's certainly possible since some units, like the Street Pilot series, support it. "Road Lock" is a separate feature where the unit tries to determine which road you're on currently and then puts the cursor right on the road rather than displaced a bit due to a combination of GPS and map errors. The Legend does support 'road lock,' but only with certain mapsets (MG, CS/CN).

I imagine that the decision on supporting both of these features comes down to a compromise between processing power, firmware memory, and other desired functions. Garmin will probably include 'rubber-banding' in future handhelds if enough customers indicate a desire for it, but I don't personally see it as a high priority for my applications.

I think that any Garmin can do it, as long as it has MapSource data for that area loaded. Just recently, I was sure that something had gone horribly wrong with my GPSMAP 76S when it quit locking to roads.. I fiddled with it, turned lock to roads on and off, and it refused to lock. Then I kept zooming out, and realized that I was 3 miles outside the MapSource data that I had uploaded.. Once I drove back into the Mapsource data, everything was fine...

But I was sweating there for a few minutes...

We are referring to two different things here. The units that can mark the road you are going to follow with a wide, gray (or yellow on color screen models) band, a band that follows every turn of the road, are these models that have auto-routing.

Every mapping model I know of can lock on road, which just means that it can place your current position on the nearest road within reasonable distance, provided that you have a suitable map, like the MetroGuide, loaded.

Anders