MeriGold on its way!?!

Guest ClayJar

Guest ClayJar

Oh, yipee! My order has shipped! I have a tracking number! It's supposed to be here Wednesday! And since all I ordered was a MeriGold* and its power/data cable, I'm very safely assuming that is what is on its way to me right now! (This means I should actually get it with three days to spare before LAGG-1... YIPEE!)

*For those who don't know, somehow I started shortening Magellan Meridian Gold to MeriGold, and it's too late to do anything about it. icon_wink.gif

Clayjar, well today's the day the official 15th (well it's the 15th over here already with you being a few hours behind things).

Anyway first things first. Don't forget to look in the averaging section (if it has one) and lets here what it says.

Cheers, Kerry.

Guest ClayJar

I ordered it from Cyber-Marine.com. I was very impressed with Rob over there and his keeping us appraised of the whole shipping situation. Obviously, I ordered an SD memory card from somewhere else (since you can get standard media a whole lot cheaper from a computer superstore).

As for reviewing the unit, well of course I'll post here. I wouldn't be a good Magellanite if I didn't. icon_wink.gif

Magellan was nice enough to send us a Magellan Meridian Gold overnight on Thursday, and we were able to do a nice fieldtest on a search Saturday morning.

Beforehand, just so folks know, I have only had experience with the Garmin eTrex yellow (my former primary), eTrex Legend, Summit, and Vista. And now the Garmin V.

Preliminary feelings:

1. Excellent unit under typical heavy forested areas in and around Seattle. Keeps satellite locks when the eTrex units crap out.

2. Texas BIG. Big screen, buttons, and overall size of the unit. Looks and feels like you can drive over it with your car. I still like the small size of the eTrex but the screen is pretty nice on this guy, though the resolution is a bit lower. It is light though.

3. Speaking of protection, I do like the rubber around the screen. It is raised so direct drops on the face would keep the screen protected, though a direct hit on rocky ground would probably be deadly.

4. Haven't played with the functions of the unit too long, but the speed of the unit is fantastic. It's hard to compare the Garmin V, but the refresh is pretty slow when you scroll. Scrolling on the Magellan unit is quick and refresh rates are hardly noticeable.

5. Autoaveraging (something I didn't know much about before) is still there. I now understand what it means to shake the unit to remove auto. Don't know if there's a disable feature.

I'll respond with some more info after I play with it a while longer. I received the Gold and the Garmin V around the same time and have been checking out the V a bit more.

J

Guest bunkerdave

but the poor effort Magellan made at these was underpowered and overpriced, so I abstained.

Anyway, I will be closely watching this thread for reports on the various units. I hope those of you who get them will post a review.

-BunkerDave

Guest prv8eye

I received my Meridian Gold today.

WOW! The thing seems like it can't wait to GRAB signals!

Drove through canyons and valleys of Camp Pendleton and it never lost a lock.

Big screen. TOP quality. Easy to use.

I'm sure glad I waited for this one.

(Actually my wife bought it for me for our first aniversary. I am one lucky dog .)

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

Guest ClayJar

Ugh! Beaten again! icon_wink.gif

I can hardly wait to get mine tomorrow and run it through the paces along with my MAP 330. If it's as good at holding locks as my current Maggie, excellent; if it's better, whoa! I already know where I need to go with it to really test it out (but that'll have to wait until next weekend, since this weekend is LAGG-1).

Of course, the anticipation might get to me, so I scheduled a dentist vist to get my mind off of it and onto excruciating pain. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest brokenwing

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

Is there a dashboard cradle available for the Meridian Series GPSRs? That would make a huge difference to me, since I LOVE the one that came with my Map330.

quote:
Per the Magellan website:

3 Cradle Mounts: Available in swivel, suction cup, and bicycle configurations.

No prices or pictures are listed.

brokenwing

Guest Utahbill

Just ordered my Merigold from cyber-marine.com. They only have a few units left and they are going fast. Unfortunately, they had none of the accesories on hand. They will be shipped later when they get them. It's going to be tough waiting for this new toy!

Guest ClayJar

Nice thing about it is that you get a data cable in the box. You may end up going through more batteries without a power/data cable, but you won't be left in the cold.