Legend version 2.41 released 8/26

jjv1969

After upgrading to 2.41 from 2.39 i'm a little disapointed (besides the fact that the battery selection is a great idea and some other improvments! :-).

Everything seems slower (from the startup logo to the pan map function etc)... and i got 2 abormal shutdowns within 10 minutes because it had lost reception for a short period of time (at least that's what i think, i was wearing it on my belt)

Anyone experienced something similar? icon_confused.gif

After upgrading to 2.41 from 2.39 i'm a little disapointed (besides the fact that the battery selection is a great idea and some other improvments! :-).

Everything seems slower (from the startup logo to the pan map function etc)... and i got 2 abormal shutdowns within 10 minutes because it had lost reception for a short period of time (at least that's what i think, i was wearing it on my belt)

quote:
Originally posted by |R:

Actually, yes. When I first upgraded from the factory-installed v2.38 (i think) to v2.40b (weeks ago), I though I noticed that the start-up logo (the orbiting satellites and spinning earth) seemed 'jerky', whereas I thought I remembered it as being smooth before that (although I only saw it a handful of times before I upgraded).

df

quote:
Originally posted by |R:

Actually, yes. When I first upgraded from the factory-installed v2.38 (i think) to v2.40b (weeks ago), I though I noticed that the start-up logo (the orbiting satellites and spinning earth) seemed 'jerky', whereas I thought I remembered it as being smooth before that (although I only saw it a handful of times before I upgraded).

df

I bought my Legend on 1 June 2002, and immediately upgraded the firmware from 2.36 to 2.38.

On 27 August 2002, I dropped in the 2.40c (beta), originally to have the enhanced battery meter, but with the added benefit of improved accuracy for WAAS EPE. I also liked the added function of using the map zoom keys to page through waypoint lists.

Last night I upgraded to 2.41. I haven't had an opportunity to take it cache hunting, but I noticed a huge improvement in accuracy!

True, I haven't had it under heavy tree-cover, but on the road last night, I was getting an EPE of seven feet! I was previously averaging 23-25 feet, even with a clear view of the sky. (This was with 10 satellites locked, and WAAS correction.)

One of the other enhancements that I'm interested in testing is the "enhanced compass pointer functionality while navigating a route":

quote:
It now indicates the direction of the turn to the next point in the e route in addition to the direction to the current point (when within 15 seconds of the current point).

I have also noticed the 'choppy' boot-up that others mentioned, but I generally page through the boot screens, so I don't notice it.

All of the bells and whistles aside, one of the main things I noticed with the 2.40c beta update was a quicker satellite acquisition time, and that still holds true.

icon_biggrin.gif

57027_900.gif

I bought my Legend on 1 June 2002, and immediately upgraded the firmware from 2.36 to 2.38.

On 27 August 2002, I dropped in the 2.40c (beta), originally to have the enhanced battery meter, but with the added benefit of improved accuracy for WAAS EPE. I also liked the added function of using the map zoom keys to page through waypoint lists.

Last night I upgraded to 2.41. I haven't had an opportunity to take it cache hunting, but I noticed a huge improvement in accuracy!

True, I haven't had it under heavy tree-cover, but on the road last night, I was getting an EPE of seven feet! I was previously averaging 23-25 feet, even with a clear view of the sky. (This was with 10 satellites locked, and WAAS correction.)

One of the other enhancements that I'm interested in testing is the "enhanced compass pointer functionality while navigating a route":

quote:
It now indicates the direction of the turn to the next point in the e route in addition to the direction to the current point (when within 15 seconds of the current point).

I have also noticed the 'choppy' boot-up that others mentioned, but I generally page through the boot screens, so I don't notice it.

All of the bells and whistles aside, one of the main things I noticed with the 2.40c beta update was a quicker satellite acquisition time, and that still holds true.

icon_biggrin.gif

57027_900.gif

In another forum, there was a quote of a reply from Garmin, stating that they did make the animation at startup inferior, compared to before. Obviously to make room for something else. The firmware file for a Vista has grown 200 kB since the first update, so maybe they are coming close to the ceiling for what's possible to squeeze in there, without starting to remove something.

So by this, I can say that the same goes for the latest Vista release.

I don't know about WAAS accuracy (I'm in Europe), but I think it seems a little more optimistic about the general accuracy, too.

Anders

so what exactly does the battery type selector do? Is it just to make the battery monitor more accurate when using non-alkaline batteries or does it actually change the power used by the unit based on batter type? I believe it's the former, but I may be wrong.

Today my battery monitor was acting odd. I have NiMH batteries in that I used in the unit for several hours yesterday in 'GPS off' mode. They are obviously not on a full charge. When I turned the unit on today to use it with 'normal' mode the battery monitor displayed as full. No, I didn't charge the batteries in the meantime. After a few minutes the battery monitor dropped down to only a single row of blocks. Now I have it back in 'GPS off' mode and the monitor displays about 1/3 full. I'm not sure that I trust the battery monitor any more.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

It's just metering, it doesn't change the consumption.

The bahavior of the meter seems accurate to me. It does measure the voltage out of the batteries. If you've used the unit with GPS off for a while, the batteries aren't at full charge any longer. Still, the current drawn from them in GPS off mode is so low, that they'll keep their voltage up fairly well anyway. However, when you rev up the receiver, consumption increases and the voltage drops. When you turn off the receiver again, the voltage goes back up again.

This is more and more evident the older your batteries get, since they have a tendency of increasing their internal resistance a little over time and use.

Look at it like this: The battery gauge does its best to predict your battery life time, assuming that you keep on doing what you are doing! As long as you keep using GPS off, they will last rather long, but if you want to use the GPS receiver, then they'll not last that long anymore. When you have half-used batteries in the unit, try observing the gauge when you turn the display illumination on and off. Each time you turn it on, the gauge goes down a little, and vice versa. Makes sense, since running with the ligth on will make the batteries last shorter time.

Anders