LOWRANCE 100-global map. ANY GOOD?

Guest dogstar

Guest DrunkenBard

I use a GM100 as well. Its main failing is battery life. Without the car power cord, you might find your way to the neighbors' house before you need new batteries. If you don't mind springing the extra $100+ for the rechargeable pack and charger, it's a great system. It acquires fast, and it'll put you within a parking-space sized area of your exact waypoint every time.

Most of the built-in map is right on, too. The few roads I've found in my area that aren't exactly where it says are maybe 3-4 pixels off at 1.5mi zoom.

Personally, I might not have bought it if I knew it would munch 4 AA's in the time it takes to hike to a fairly simple cache and back to the car, but now that I have it, I've worked out a solution: I rigged up a 12V adapter, and mostly use it in the car. If I'm getting out for any length of time, I have a small 12V power pack (like they sell as portable power supplies for cell phones, etc. $35 at Target) that I can carry and keep the GPS plugged in.

------------------

DrunkenBard

http://www.drunkenbard.com

quote:
Originally posted by DrunkenBard:

I use a GM100 as well. Its main failing is battery life. If you don't mind springing the extra $100+ for the rechargeable pack and charger, it's a great system

Another option is to go with NiMH rechargable AAs. The Maha MH-C204F charger plus 4 AAs is about $35 and operates on both AC and 12VDC. Recharges the set of four in about 3 hours. Buy a second set of 4 cells for another $10 and you can always have one set charged.

I use a Lowrance as well & my only complaint about it is the battery life is noticably shorter than alternate brands of unit.

However my unit spends most of it's life as a truck mounted unit. Usually it's only unmounted for an hour or two at a time so for me it's no real issue & the increase track point storage is a big benefit.

Guest graytcote

I've been using one for two years now and it's great. I bought two sets of rechargable

rayovacs for about $13.00 and the charger for

about $8.00. I always keep an extra set handy

and when the batteries get down to 1/4 I change them.