Free on-line tool for plotting caches, etc.

I just updated my free on-line mapping program, GPS Visualizer, so that it now directly supports plotting .LOC files from geocaching.com. (It also supports various other file formats for both tracks and waypoints.)

The URL: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

By the way, it's not obvious, but clicking on a waypoint marker in a GPS Visualizer map will take you to the relevant page on geocaching.com.

Please let me know if you have any problems... have fun!

Adam Schneider

adamschneider.net

I've just made a minor change to the Geocache-reading function in GPS Visualizer; it now strips off the last part of the description that says "by (cacher's nickname)." I did it to save space so maps don't get so crowded.... but I hope I haven't commited some horrible geocaching faux pas in the process! (You can still get the full description by clicking on the point and visiting the geocaching.com Cache Details page.)

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

WOW!

This looks very good!

With CacheMaps I also visualize cache waypoints and I am impressed by the way you you it!

Is there an option to 'feed' gpsvisualizer from the url? If so, I can directly call your site with the inputfile and maybe the wanted settings (or default settings).

I also created a tool to get the locations from the los of a locationless cache and create a loc-file from this. It would be great to directly open your site with the freshly created loc-file.

BigBird icon_smile.gif

CMLogo_Transparent_Dark_Medium.gif

Adam, that is a cool tool you've created.

I've been playing with it and changing the cache points and different stuff, works pretty good to customize your map.

I'd like to see a way to have the waypoints and/or descriptions displayed only on hover. Maybe like an ALT tag.

I'd also like to see an option to output as an imagemap so it's more compatible with browsers.

Thanks for cool tool!

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
I'd like to see a way to have the waypoints and/or descriptions displayed only on hover. Maybe like an ALT tag.

That's a thought. Right now the descriptions light up blue when you hover over them; I could maybe make it so there's an option to have them invisible UNTIL you mouse over. (Making it so you get the text by hovering over the point itself is a little trickier.)

quote:
I'd also like to see an option to output as an imagemap so it's more compatible with browsers.

That I don't see happening any time soon; SVG is its own world, and doing a fixed bitmap graphic (GIF or PNG) would require a complete rewrite of, well, everything. Besides, the SVG Viewer plug-in is free and available for almost every browser (although, unfortunately, it seems to crash recent versions of Mozilla in Windows or Linux).